Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Always been confused about BPM

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Since I started using VDJ, I've never play using BPM because they never seem like I could depend on them. You see this screen shot and look at the BPM's for these videos and quickly realize they don't make alot of sense. This has been prevalent in 7 as well as 8, and while the cream of help is here in the 8 forum, could someone straighten me out on how this works. Now I do understand the concept, but looking at two very slow songs in the screen shot, you see Annie's Song is 146, all for love is 152? Perhaps I don't know how a BPM is calculated. Just kinda lost...

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 5:49 pm
Beats per minute

in your example there is about 7 beats per minute (BPM) difference. Both of those songs should be 1/2 of what they are which is 73 and 76 which is only 3BPM apart and actually very close as should be for the two slow songs.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 6:04 pm
Ok Partyman, here I explain my confusion. Both songs in this screen shot have a much high BPM, but they are shown with a lower BPM. Now that my friend is why I'm confused.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 6:33 pm
Walkin' On The Sun and Hold On?

They sound right to me (I just played them). What makes you think they're wrong?

Sometimes it can be hard for a computer to know the difference between a slow track and a fast one because it's working on the basis of spacing between sounds or audio peaks, and the placing of those can be similar even in very different styles of music - that we can hear, but a computer can't.

In the case of Annie's Song, the computer doesn't know the difference between 3/4 and 4/4 - it just assumes everything is 4/4. There's quite a prominent guitar part in there, which it's probably picking up on and using the spacing between the 123,123,123,123 rhythm and thinking the tempo is bombombom,bombombom.

Usually it's just a case of either halving or doubling what the computer thinks.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 7:02 pm
Walkin On The Sun and Hold On?

They sound right to me (I just played them) What makes you think they are wrong?

I don't think they are wrong!! I think they are right! I think Annie's Song and All For Love is very wrong. This should have been elementary for you to pick up on!! Now you are telling me I need to just guess on some songs what the BPM is, and try to mix accordingly because the computer doesn't always pick up on this or that?? But you guys live by the BPM!! Sorry, but I'm thinkin' there are other answers. So far 8 is savvy, I'm thinkin' I'm just not gettin' it yet. More help please.

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 10:31 pm
Mr Grumpy,

YOU have to understand music, BPMs, and music structure before you can efficiently beat mix. The software tries to give assistance but there is no exact automation. This is a tool for DJs not an "instant awesome DJ Machine" If you don't know the basics then the software cannot do it for you.
Please take the time to read up on BPMs and beat mixing and you will soon realize that VDJ is the best tool for the job but still requires a DJ behind the controls.

Rusty

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 11:44 am
mrgrumpy1 wrote :
I don't think they are wrong!! I think they are right!

Your post showed a screen shot with Walkin' On The Sun and Hold On loaded.

Below that, you wrote "Both songs in this screen shot have a much high BPM, but they are shown with a lower BPM."

To me, that means you think Walkin' On The Sun and Hold On are incorrect.

I also did not say you need to guess the tempo.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 11:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)