Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Virtual DJ 8 is cripling the music Keys and is changing them to strange values

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VDJ8 is cripling the music keys and changes them to strange values.

Under VDJ 7 they were as Fm and after playing them with VDJ 8 they are changing to G#

Others from Gm to A#

I am not sure if this started today, as Thursday nor yesterday Friday I noticed this. Today when starting VDJ it asked me if I wanted to install the update and I did. The build I have now is 1793.659 and yesterday I had v8.01785

See the following screenshots.

See how the keys were before playing the tracks, and check how they ended up.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 4:28 pm
prezPRO InfinityMember since 2005
El Sabroson wrote :
VDJ8 is cripling the music keys and changes them to strange values.

Under VDJ 7 they were as Fm and after playing them with VDJ 8 they are changing to G#

Others from Gm to A#

I am not sure if this started today, as Thursday nor yesterday Friday I noticed this. Today when starting VDJ it asked me if I wanted to install the update and I did. The build I have now is 1793.659 and yesterday I had v8.01785

See the following screenshots.

See how the keys were before playing the tracks, and check how they ended up.

even though your library XML file from VDJ7 is "Imported" into VDJ8
every track you play in VDJ8 will be rescanned for the new database, since the tracks are being treated as "new" tracks in the new version of software, the rescan will supersede any previous tag values from other software (IE VDJ7 or like scanning your tracks with MixedInKey or Rapid Evolution, etc) and apply the KEY and BPM detection in the new VDJ8 software.

in reality you will need to scan every track in your library to get the proper data loaded into the new XML database

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 4:59 pm
But why is it changing the Keys?

That it is rescanning the tracks I can understand, but that it ends up with totally different keys is weird.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 5:50 pm
The key detection algorithm in 8, is supposed to be more accurate than the one in ver 7. Hence the difference. Look at the bright side. If they are all wrong, they are all wrong, equally.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 6:49 pm
El Sabroson wrote :
But why is it changing the Keys?

That it is rescanning the tracks I can understand, but that it ends up with totally different keys is weird.

Because it uses a new algorithm. Personally I thought the old algorithm was fine and so does my brother who also mixes in VDJ. Others say it is better at major keys but most dance music is in minor keys anyhow so my own opinion is "meh!"

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 6:50 pm
Wow, two brothers mixing with VDJ, what's your brothers name?

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 6:54 pm
The thing is it caught me by surprise, as I mix on Key, and suddenly I saw the keys changing, so all the tracks were with the same key and then the previous was not matching with the next.

I thought it were the beers I had consumed were starting to fool me. Then I went to a different folder and noticed the same behavior.

I think I will scan the complete database with 8 so that it already has all the new values, and not that the values are changing while mixing as that leads to confusions.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 6:57 pm
prezPRO InfinityMember since 2005
El Sabroson wrote :
The thing is it caught me by surprise, as I mix on Key, and suddenly I saw the keys changing, so all the tracks were with the same key and then the previous was not matching with the next.

I thought it were the beers I had consumed were starting to fool me. Then I went to a different folder and noticed the same behavior.

I think I will scan the complete database with 8 so that it already has all the new values, and not that the values are changing while mixing as that leads to confusions.

if you mainly play EDM you can change the way the key detection analyses the tracks
Settings>Options&Tweaks>keyDetection
you can change it to electronic

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 7:03 pm
Although I still have some doubts, as from the screenshots, you can see that it changed the G#m to D#m.

The track Cyaan tek nu more, was a D#m in 7 and remained D#m in 8.

But the Broken heart that was G#m turned into D#m

So, how come if broken heart was G#m it has now the same key as Cyaan tek nu more?

And Fly a way that was G#m ended up being B.

This means it is not changing equally.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 7:07 pm
Just wait for DJ-From-Norway to chime in about two wrongs making it a right ;)

BTW I have a track that has no key according to VDJ. You can analyze it as much as you like and the key/Harmonic fields will remain empty. The track plays just fine though. Go figure.

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 7:50 pm
This has been reported as a bug.

LOCKED BY AMAHM

Posted Sat 24 May 14 @ 9:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)