Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: VDJ8 Free edition

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

BazylikPRO InfinityMember since 2013
Hey guys!
I just downloaded the free version of the software.. I am a pro user and I have already installed it on my personal PC at home but I want to have a free edition at my work PC so I can mess around with it when time allows.

Right now I have the free version installed at work and it's asking me for a login and a password. I'm freaking out right now because I'm scared to use my credentials to login because of fear it will upgrade the FREE version to PRO and that would put me at a limit since only two PRO versions can be installed on two different PCs. I don't want to use PRO on my work PC. Would that be the case or will the FREE version stay free despite me using my login??

I hope I'm not confusing anyone haha

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 12:10 pm
As i understand it, you get the free version when you don't log in. You'll also notice there can be ads appearing in the browser!

In theory you could set up a new username and password for your free version, but I don't think it changes any functionality.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 12:14 pm
Virtual DJ 8 has been designed to be flexible.

So you can ignore the login screen and enter the full version. OR you can login using you own credentials and access any Pro features.
If you tick the box

Then you will be automatically logged out when you close the software. If you don't do this it will log you out anyway, when you log into your other machine.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 12:25 pm
Awesome!! Thank you guys very much for this prompt repost.

I guess what got me nervous is that I read somewhere that the software will stop working after 10 or so minutes, but then I recalled that's only if you use a controller or something along those lines.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 12:32 pm
It will only stop working in the HomeFree version if you use Pro features like Controllers etc.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 12:34 pm
Bazylik wrote :
since only two PRO versions can be installed on two different PCs.

Actually that's just recently been updated. The EULA now states:

You are granted one license to:
- install the Software on as many computers as you want, but;
- run the Software on a maximum of two computers at any single time, provided that they are at the same physical location and operated by the same person.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 12:42 pm
Even simpler solution.

Just hit the Red X in the top right of the login box and it goes away.

This way you do not login, so will not upset your logged in computers.

all it means when you dont login is you wont be able to run external sound i.e. will have to run on the PC's internal speakers. Or put simpler you get the free version features and not the Pro version features.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 12:45 pm
Bazylik wrote :
that would put me at a limit since only two PRO versions can be installed on two different PCs.

As groovin just said, the License Agreement for VirtualDJ 8 is much more flexible than before.
The limit of 2 PCs means that you cannot run VirtualDJ Pro on more than 2 PCs at the same time.
So for example if you want to have a backup PC running during your gig, you can, but no more than one main plus one backup.

But as long as you're not running VirutalDJ at the same time on your work PC and your own PC, there is no problems.

Also, please note that their is not "Free version" versus "Pro version" of the software anymore.
Free users and Pro users download the same installer, and install the same software (so what you donwloaded from the download page today is the exact same executable as you had before).
The only difference is in what license is associated with the login you will use when you run VirtualDJ.

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 12:47 pm

Ah, understood! This does make things a lot less complicated!!

Huge THANKS to all of you for such quick responses! You rock!

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 2:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)