Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: V8 And CPU

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HKNYCPRO InfinityMember since 2006
V8 seems to be coming along in it's advancements with it's updates. Some issues seem to be resolved for me, but I still have to tell you that CPU percentage is still pretty high!

Can we expect a bettering in this area? It really doesn't seem to be going down much for me at all if any. I have tried different settings etc.. I don't even use video, so I don't know why the high CPU.

In version 7.4.1, it was in the mid 20's now V8 in the mid 40's to 50's and that causes my CPU to go into the 70's and even higher. Of course it doesn't stay in that range just hangs around there at moments. Mainly, it stays in the mid 40's and up now! It never did that before at all. Don't know how many others have really noticed this change, but this should be something to prioritize, thanks.

Lenovo N500 3000
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Mobil Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHZ - 2.17GHZ

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 10:57 am
I have also seen a significant increase in CPU mine hovers around 80 & 90%. In the config file under advanced setings you can select either cpu or audio for the montoring of the cpu. I have selected audio and then you don't see what the CPU is doing. Also by changing this still does not change the fact that CPU seems rather high no matter which setting you use.

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 11:51 am
Yes, no doubt brother... I tried that feature hehehe! I got happy for a second cause it went down significantly, but it just takes away the visual of the CPU spiking in the system. Just like it says, but not for nothing, I'm not expert on programming, I think it's due to just more of everything in V8, that causes hIgh CPU.

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 12:05 pm
Are you guys running the default version 8 1920x1080 skins?

Are the screens you're using actually that resolution, or smaller?

If they're smaller then maybe try using a old 7 skin that's the same res as your screen and see if the CPU goes down.

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 12:13 pm
It seems to run well on my desktop Windows 8.1, AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core with 3 gb memory. It seemed to have better audio than release 7.
Unfortunately the Video graphics for CDG files and the sound have problems on both of my Tablets.
My Samsung 500 tablet with full Win 8.1 Intel Atom 1.8Ghz, 2.gb ram, there is no sound unless I plug in a USB sound adapter. The CDG graphics, won't update in 30 FPS mode and is still slow/poor at 5 FPS.
On my Motion Computing LE1600, Intel Pentium 1.5Ghz, 1.5 gb ram running XP , the video updates, but has flashing bars in the middle, with scratchy sound through it's speakers or with USB external plugged in.
All computers at 32 bit.
I see regular updates, hopefully they will get a chance to optimized the code a bit for the Tablet market.

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 12:35 pm
groovindj wrote :
Are you guys running the default version 8 1920x1080 skins?

Are the screens you're using actually that resolution, or smaller?

If they're smaller then maybe try using a old 7 skin that's the same res as your screen and see if the CPU goes down.

Hi
Yes I am using the default skin, full screen. I have not tried any other skin yet

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 3:46 pm
As of today's update of 1781, the Samsung 500 tablet default sound sound is working, but the video for Karaoke graphics is still slow and generally unresponsive. Tried few lesser frame settings, with some lyric movement at 8 frames, but still not good. The CPU usage appeared a bit better.

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 6:35 pm
@ Dj Mike James, I've been trying different skins today and yes it has helped to change it. Not all together but has gone down some the 7 version skins didn't work for me, but the other V8 skins did.

Try using the Combat skin by Dj Dad, works better with that one. But, the one that least spikes for was the Multi FX 2 skin by Dj Dad.

Maybe it will work better for you, it's a temporary fix. Till they get it right!

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 7:09 pm
i have a thinkpad w500 running win 8.1 and my idle cpu is ~90% with vdj 8.1806. ver 7 and mixxx run at 20% idle and rarely get above 75% even loading songs. computer gets very hot and audio starts skipping. I'd like to buy this product but not if i have to upgrade hardware b/c of inefficiency

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 2:30 pm
I tried the 1820 build with the same results. i noticed the cpu goes to normal levels if the application is minimized so i thought it might be a video driver issue but there are no driver updates available for win 8.1 x64. Is anyone else seeing these high cpu issues on windows 8.1? would windows 7 fix this?

Posted Thu 05 Jun 14 @ 6:20 pm
Might try going to the task manager, click on the performance tab, and the performance graph will show you what's going on with the CPU. You can also compare this to the VDJ CPU meter. If I have both VDJ decks playing videos on my laptop, it's using about 6-7% of the CPU, shown in the task manager performance graph.

Posted Fri 06 Jun 14 @ 11:05 pm
I was seeing higher CPU as well. In config under skins, reduce the maxSkinFPS. I set it to 10 down from 30 and CPU usage was about what it was in VDJ7. This does not seem to effect the video FPS but probably skin drawing. Even if it was at 30 FPS for the skin, it should not have much of an impact especially when doing nothing, but it does.

Posted Sat 07 Jun 14 @ 2:17 am
Looks like they might be drawing the entire skin however many FPS you tell it instead of drawing just regions that need to be updated.

The setting is config/options/skins/maxSkinFPS

Posted Sat 07 Jun 14 @ 4:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)