Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Auto Gain issue

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

changes sometimes all the way down to 0DB even though I have AUTO GAIN disabled. I am still using the first release of Virtual 8 so will try out the newer release but I did not notice that this issue has been corrected from the release notes.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 8:11 pm
infoHome userMember since 2014
I have exactly the same issue currently and it is really annoying. It worked perfectly in 7.4.1. Can a virtual DJ admin advise why the gain always sets to 0db even with auto gain disabled. Happens when I load new files and even pre-analysed files

Posted Fri 08 Aug 14 @ 6:01 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
When auto-gain is disabled and gain is at 0db it simply means that no gain is applied from the software as it should.

If auto-gain is enabled you can try to disable the option "Gain Slider Includes Auto Gain", it is on by default.
What it does is only graphical knob reset so the knob always show 0db and you can use it in relative mode after the applied auto-gain.
It doesn't change the gain.

If you really want to understand what happens to the gain in absolute values, try the VirtualDJ8 Reloaded skin :
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/16797/VirtualDJ_8_ReLoaded.html

I have added an 'lvl' value display (level) just above the Gain value on the deck display (bellow Bpm).
The lvl is the real level of the track (pre-gain) as calculated by VirtualDJ gain scan.
While the gain is the final value after gain applied manually or by the auto-gain, depending on your settings.

You can see and confirm what i said above, if auto-gain is disabled and the gain knob is 0db, the 'lvl' and gain values on the deck are equal.

Posted Fri 08 Aug 14 @ 10:09 pm
Still happening even with AutoGain as No and even Gain Slider Includes Auto Gain set as No.

Think I'm going back to 7.4.1 unless Virtual DJ fix it.

Posted Sat 09 Aug 14 @ 4:59 am
Still happening what ? Like i explained above when the gain knob shows 0 (and autogain is off) it means no gain change.
This is totally normal : autogain off -> no change by the software. But you can change manually if you want to.
VirtualDJ 7 works exactly the same.
Use the skin i recommended to see the absolute gain values.

btw. "Gain Slider Includes Auto Gain" does nothing when auto gain is off, as there is no "auto gain" to include.
This setting does matter when auto-gain is on.

If you still have a issue you should post more about your hardware / controller if you use one.

Posted Sat 09 Aug 14 @ 9:00 am
Ok. So I'm using a Denon MC3000 controller. On VDJ 7.4.1, I disabled auto gain. This in turn would set the gain all the way down and in turn I could control the gain using the gain knob on the controller.

On VDJ8, I have carried out the same steps but still the gain stays at 0 and does not stay down or set to being all the way down when I load a new song onto either deck. I have to turn the gain knob to 0 and then turn it all the way down whilst cueing the next song. It's annoying as on the older version, I knew the gain was set all the way down automatically and I could get on with getting the next mix / track ready.

Hopefully, you now understand my frustration.

Posted Sat 09 Aug 14 @ 7:04 pm
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Try to unplug your controller and try if you can reproduce.
Just testet here and it works as it should....

Posted Mon 11 Aug 14 @ 4:26 pm
We can't reproduce this here, so yes test without the controller first and then make sure you are using the factory mapper for the mc3000 (not a custom mapper).
Check that ...\Documents\VirtualDJ\devices does not contain a custom definition and in settings - controllers the factory default is loaded.

Posted Mon 11 Aug 14 @ 4:36 pm
Done that and still get the issue. Reported to support but no help so far

Posted Mon 11 Aug 14 @ 4:36 pm
I am using the factory mappers for my mc3000. I have checked all setting before and can confirm no custom mappers are being used

Posted Mon 11 Aug 14 @ 4:37 pm
Ok it seems that ResetEQonLoad also resets the gain on load.
Since there is no separate setting that makes sense. Disable this option and it should work the way you want to.

Posted Mon 11 Aug 14 @ 5:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)