Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Please someone help me sort out tagging issue

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

First off. Where has the batch 'erase comment' option gone that was in v7?

Also is there a way to batch write comments to tags? I know you can go into the tag editor and write them there individually but this is not a solution when you have thousands of files to deal with. I need to make sure all my comments are backed up into the file tags and not just the database.

The reason is because I want to make use of external editing to 'prepend' comments with externally added information.

In v7 there is an option to mass erase comments and reload tags. In v8 I cannot find the erase comments option but I would want to make sure all my comments are saved to the file tags anyhow (I noticed some of my comments are not saved to the file tags and would require me to manually edit each one and write them to the file before mass erasing them from the database in order to perform a reload from file tags).

Basically I need to do it in this order.

Save all comment field tags from database to actual files.
Edit comment field tags outside of VDJ.
Erase all VDJ comments.
Reload tags.

Frankly I find the way VDJ deals with external tags depressing. Sure it reads them in on first scan but once the files are in the database you have very little control over them unless you edit them individually. The batch options seem poor.

I do not wish to delete the database if it can at all be helped.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 6:34 am

Batch tag edit in VDJ8 is easy and powerful.. .

Simply multi-select a group of files in browser, rigth-click and choose tag editor.

There the changes you apply will apply for all.. for example blank out comment, set year to 2014, etc etc

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 6:43 am
dj-in-norway wrote :

Batch tag edit in VDJ8 is easy and powerful.. .

Simply multi-select a group of files in browser, rigth-click and choose tag editor.

There the changes you apply will apply for all.. for example blank out comment, set year to 2014, etc etc

If I select a bunch of files and don't enter anything in the comments field and write tags does it write all the previous comments in the database to the files? If not how do I do that? If I select a bunch of files and click the comment delete x button next to the comments field and click on write does that 'erase comments' for all the selected files?

If neither of those options work then what you suggest does not resolve my issue.

EDIT: I just tested with 3 files and it works the way I just suggested. Although I cannot do this for a folder with sub folders in it in one go I can at least go into a subfolder and select all and perform the action. Thanks for that at least.

For anyone else who needs to know how to do this.

Select multiple tracks, right click, tag editor.
Click on write tags. This will write all selected tracks fields/boxes into the actual file tags and not just the database.
Check a few files individually to make sure the tags are there (underneath the fields/boxes).
Do your external tag changes outside VDJ if required.
Select the tracks again and go into tag editor. All the fields should be empty. To erase all comments from the database with the x next to the field even though the comments field is already empty it should still change color indicating the field has been erased.

*CAUTION* do not click on write!

You only want to clear the database comments fields and *NOT* the tags! Unless you really, really want that to happen that is ;)

Click on 'OK'. this will clear all the comments from the database.
Right click your tracks and select 'Load Tags'. You should now have your comments show you the actual tags including any additional changes you made outside of VDJ.

I have only tested this with the comments field so do not know how this works if you change the tags of other fields.

I think these instructions are correct but please do chime in if I got it wrong.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 8:01 am

to batch delete comment exactly like that yes...
multi select files, open tag editor for the group, click the X for delete comment, and then "write tag" button at bottom to apply ;)

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 8:15 am
DJ_Craig wrote :

Erase all VDJ comments.
Reload tags.

I don't see a reason why you'd need to do it that way TBH.

Why not just add the new info (keys?) to your tags using the external software, then create a new database in 8 (don't let it see the 7 DB) - job done.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 8:23 am
groovindj wrote :
DJ_Craig wrote :

Erase all VDJ comments.
Reload tags.

I don't see a reason why you'd need to do it that way TBH.

Why not just add the new info (keys?) to your tags using the external software, then create a new database in 8 (don't let it see the 7 DB) - job done.

My v8 database pulled the info into itself from the v7 database including play count info, first seen etc when I installed it. I want to keep that data.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 8:25 am
dj-in-norway wrote :

multi select files, open tag editor for the group, click the X for delete comment, and then "write tag" button at bottom to apply ;)

Yes that is fine if you want to write all your comment tags out. What I needed was it to retain all my comments in the file tags but not in the database so I could use the load tags option to pull in externally appended tags. If you do not clear the comments from VDJ's database first it will not load the tags in batch mode only individually using the tag editor as far as I can tell.

Basically I think there should be a tick option to override database tag fields and only use file tags.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 8:27 am
dj-in-norway wrote :

Could we get a counter, something like "(XX from yy done!)" behind the number of files? I'm on Mac.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 8:53 am
music234 wrote :
dj-in-norway wrote :

Could we get a counter, something like "(XX from yy done!)" behind the number of files? I'm on Mac.

I doubt it takes long enough to worry about seeing that background stuff. If you click OK the tag editor closes you know has completed.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 9:23 am
I'm having the same PROBLEM as "DJ_Craig" is explaining.
I to use an external Tag editor software to make Multiple TAG changes.

FROM MY TESTING This is WHAT'S HAPPENNING.
. When you UPDATE the Tags with the VDJ 8 Tag Editor - It UPDATES the tag field on the FILE as WELL.
. When you UPDATE the Tags OUTSIDE of VDJ 8 - It Will NOT Update the DATABASE with the Updated Tag Data.
. WHEN you CLEAR (UPDATING) the Tag field with VDJ 8 - It will UPDATE (Clear) the tag field on the File as well.

NOW BECAUSE the TAG field in the DATABASE is BLANK
. When you UPDATE the TAG Field OUTSIDE of VDJ8 - YOU HAVE to RELOAD The TAGS back in order to see the Changes.

ONLY Reloads (Updates) the TAGS Back to the Database when the VDJ 8 DATABASE Tag Field is BLANK.

I (WE) Don't want to 1st CLEAR Tag Fields (with VDJ 8) BEFORE RELOADING Them BACK INTO VDJ 8 Database with the NEW UPDATES.

With VDJ 7.4 There Was NO PROBLEMS UPDATING the DATABASE. You Just RELOADED the TAGS Back (from the File) to UPATE the Database Tag Fields.

Again I'm using the Tag Editor (outside of VDJ 8) to update Tag fields with various data (different YEARS / different GENRES etc.),
and SHOULD NOT RESORT to making FILTER Folders in order GROUP (Select) what should be Updated using the VDJ 8 Tag Editor.

Thanks
Jose

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 2:50 pm
I want to override VDJ8's Harmonic/Key fields using external tags. I do NOT want VDJ8 to change the key in the file tag. How do I batch overwrite the Harmonic/Key fields in the database? Not individually. If I overwrite the key tag in an external key detection program and have it write to the key tags. VDJ8 ignores them and uses it's own in the database. If I delete the database surely it will just rescan the key when I load a track onto the deck?

Please help me out on this.

EDIT: I renamed the database file and changed a key tag in a file. Opened VDJ8. Went to the track in the folder and it shows the new written key. However. If Ioad the track to a deck. VDJ8 overwrites it with it's own detected key. How do I stop this behaviour. If I had purchased Mixed in Key and it was doing this I would be pretty pissed off.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 4:04 pm
Dev Team
Is There any Truth to what I Have Mentioned Above..

Thanks
Jose

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 4:41 pm
So if I want to take the information on all of my files from "Field1" in VDJ 7 and transfer that information to "Field1" in VDJ8 using MAC 10.9.3 what would i need to do ?

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 3:41 pm
When you first install and run VDJ 8 it will load and convert the existing VDJ 7 database - which should include the Field 1 info if it's populated.

Has that not happened?

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 4:02 pm
@JRamJams
Absolut 1+++
If I change something outside of VDJ (e.g. Itunes), I want to update the database with one click.
I would suggest exclude commments, because some of us use this on their gigs (Mark all songs, clear comments, then reload tags works for me).
So it's safe not to overwrite helpful notes from your last gig.

Greets
Music234

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 4:11 pm
No hasn't happened, none of the Field1 info xfered.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 4:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)