Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Variable BPM, beatgrid and BPM Display

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've just tried out the variable BPM beat gridding and it works. The track I tried was Ladies Night by Kool and the Gang. The BPM on this track starts at 109 and rises to around 117. I set beat grids every 32 beats to pick up the increase in tempo. In the wave display, every beat is nowin sync on the beat grid. However the BPM display does not change to reflect the increase in BPM. It stays at 109 all the way through. Is this a bug or have I missed a setting somewhere?
So much new to learn but liking what I see so far,
Thanks, Steve

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 4:51 pm
That's a bit odd, innit? If the CBG 'knows' that the tempo changes, it should be reflected in the BPM display, as that's the only way the DJ will see the changes.

OK you could potentially hear a change if it's big enough, but most tracks like this are creepers not leapers. :-)

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 5:24 pm
Yup the change is not reflected in the bpm display. I have already raised this so let's hope it makes it

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 5:40 pm
OK, so it's not just me being an idiot then lol. As long as you don't rely on sync then it's no big problem as you can still use your pitch control to beat match. I'm sure they will cure it. Being able to beat grid a whole variable track is a big improvement anyway.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 5:46 pm
Yeah, I thought that was the whole idea of the CBG - that the BPM figure came from where VDJ figured out the timings between beats.

If you've then gone in and specifically "instructed" the CBG that the beat changes at certain points, then that info needs to be fed back to you via the BPM display.

When you then consider the scenario of mixing in another track, you need an accurate reflection of what the BPM is at that time.

Ideally there should be a live BPM display that reads directly from the track as it plays. If any old cheap hardware can do it, a modern computer should be able to.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 5:47 pm
+1 on this.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 6:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)