Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: (MAC) build 1761.644 get wrong comment-tag from i-tunes (11.2)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Here's a very strange problem I have:
I use ITunes for tagging my music-collection, also I use MIK. After scan my files, sometimes I get wrong comments. Changing the mp3-Version down from 2.4 to 2.3 has no effect. The comments are wrong..Please Help. Here some pics:
That's in my db after scan:

That's in my I-Tunes

If exist any known workaround to fix this, I would be glad to hear from you.
Greets (Sorry for my bad English)
Music234

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 2:41 am
OK,
if I convert the Mp3-Tag first to "nothing" then to 2.3 the tags are read out in the right way.
Probl. If I convert all my files I loose my covers and the song-names are cut.
Please fix this quick or give a hint/workaround...need help.

BTW: Other Programms e.g. Mi**V***s don't have such a problem.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 5:26 am
Nobody?

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 7:15 am
Not seen this issue.

Not in front of my machine at the moment. But will test later.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 8:11 am
Thanks ;o)

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 9:01 am
OK, I think I found it.
Those files got extended comment-tags (those are not shown in I-Tunes)...

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 11:44 am
Mac OSX Version 10.9.3 / ITunes 11.2.1(1) 64 Bit

Sorry to bump this Topic, but here are some screenshots.
I removed (Ihope so) the old 2.1. Tag, but this happens:

So in VDJ MAC build 1785.651

and so in Itunes:

Clear comment and actualize tag don't work properly. If you want to, I can send you such a file to figure it out; I tried everything the last 5 days to figure it out.
Need help ! Please!

Best regards from Germany
Music234

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 2:18 pm
Eventuell this helps:

Obvious, VDJ takes the wrong comment if the File got different tags ?!?

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 2:53 pm
Ok, VDJ 8 took the comment Itunes_CDB1 tag, and not the comment...,
but in another file VD8 took a comment from Mix****es, so I can't give a hint, which comment tag VDJ8 puts in the DB.
Hope you can figure it out.

Regards from Germany
Music234

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 3:37 pm
Did a workaround on this last night, but with the actual build (Mac 1806) the problem appears again....
No way to fix this?

Posted Sun 25 May 14 @ 1:40 pm
Okay, some quick words about ID3Tags and comments:

A single track can have MULTIPLE comments inside it's ID3 Tag.
The ID3 Tag standards say that you can have as many comments as you like, but only one comment with the same descriptor.
"Descriptor" is a up to 4 letters string that identifies (or describes, hence the name) who sets the comment.
The ID3Tag standard DOES NOT force any other type of control over the comment field.

In other words, what you learn so far is that you can have a file with the following comments:

'DESC'|Comment
''|This is a comment without a descriptor (descriptor is blank)
'ENG'|This is a comment in English language
'VDJ8'|This is a comment written by VDJ8
'RGAA'|This is a comment describing the replay gain analysis of the track (mostly used by Winamp)
'MCVV'|0000werew0 00werw00 0rterter0 er0e 0ret 0ettert0 some random HEX code used by some program to store data like cue points or whatever.
'ITC'|iTunes Comment field.

So, you have a file with 6 comments inside it's tag.
NONE of them is wrong or invalid...
So, which of all 6 is the "correct" one ?

The answer is that there's no "correct" one and therefore there's no "wrong" one.

Most software will either read/write comments only with their own descriptor (that's how iTunes operates) OR it will read/read the first comment index aka the comment with the "first" descriptor written in the file ever.

So, it's NOT that VirtualDj reads the wrong comment. It's that:
a) Your files have multiple comments
b) iTunes reads/writes only it's own descriptor, when it could actually use the first ID like most apps do

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 3:58 pm
@PhantomDeejay:
Thanks for your response, I know that mp3.files can hold multiple comment tags.

But why I have never this problem with other sw? If you take a closer look at my screenshots above:

My comment is ## - 90s - Engl
, and this appears in ITunes and in mp3-Tag. If I choose to take a closer look at the Meta-Data (Multiple fields) the other comments appears. And the first comment is ## - 90s - Engl . Itunes and other are after comment (see comment ITunes...etc).

I can workaround this:
Clear comment in VDJ, write somethings like bleep in comment, save the file, open the file in itunes, change the comment, open vdj clear comment and then the new comment from ITunes appear in VDJ.

So I cleared most of my files, but it's a %&$!.. work. And in my opinion is it a pity, that VDJ (only sometimes) doesn't get the comments I put in the tag via ITunes.

Greets from Germany (and sorry for my bad English)
Music234

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 4:35 pm
CatapPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I realized that the rating and the analysis does not load in the songs that contain special characters.

examples: songs with especial caracters:

I proceed to analized:

I proceed to load tags:

Change to another folder or close the program, open the folder back where all those songs were and are without length and without rating again.

I´m using MBP 13", core i5 2.5, 16GB Ram, MAvericks 10.9.3. I made a clean installation vdj8 build 1806.664.

Posted Mon 26 May 14 @ 5:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)