Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Milkdrop - Issues with some presets

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Great work Scott :) However several presets are giving a visual Stuttering effect, some esp. bad.
Think of the player and the rotating line normally it revolves smoothly, but with milkdrop running with the worst presets the line jumps to 3-4 distinct positions
in the course of 1 revolution, other 7-8 distinct positions per revolution.
I will use this as a score where a very low number denotes severe stuttering and a the higher the number the better the performance of the preset.

3-4 (severe) Goody+Martin - Crystal Palace - Aqua lumens
Goody+Martin - Crystal Palace - Ocular Anims
(system25%, Audio 2.7%)

7-8 (bad) ORB - Solar Sail
Stahlregen + Flexi - gimme color (Bubble Spinner Mix)

*Possibly 20% of other plugins have a noticeable effect - but still quiet usable
*The Extended screen (via HDMI), the platter and the waveforms are effected by stuttering in sync
*Audio is not effected.

Using Milkdrop Released set at 15th HQ Mode
Will investigate all Presets, earlier plugin, HQ mode on/off , also other computer OS but may take a little time to test these all

Using Acer Aspire V5 571PG
Intel I7 1.9 (2.4) CPU
8GB RAM
INTEL 4000 (internal)
NVIDIA Geforce GT 620M + 1GB (using Optimus) VDJ Set to Use this GPU
VDJ 8.0.1761.644
Windows V8 64

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 10:50 pm
Good to know..will check later...I did noticed something flickering that I had not seen before....BTW..how do you know which algorhythm its playin?

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 11:33 pm
Beside the effect button there is a dropdown menu with a list of all installed effects mouse down to milkdrop (towards the bottom)
it should be illuminated green when running hover over milkdrop on list, hover over the Cog on the left and left click on it , and a milkdrop plugin Panel will appear
at the bottom right hand screen, at the bottom of this panel is the current preset playing.
I set fade to 0 and duration to 5 min and used the cut button to advance thru the presets, observing the rotation of the Record.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 12:36 am
did'nt see that thanks "nite"...so those mentioned are not rendering at all? do they flicker funny like?
Alienware m18X laptop
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00GHz-2.80 GHz
8GB Memory 1TB HDD (Two 500GB)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M SLI(Two of them)...
HDMI display out,but using the VGA,since the HDMI will re-route the audio output....

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 1:22 am
I am having total App hang issues with milkdrop on my machine on 8 when loading files to the decks. Smooth as butter on 7.4. We will soon see whats up I hope. If my dual core can run smooth on 7.4 and not on 8 I dunno whats the difference?? Not a big issue, but it is an issue.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 2:08 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Almost all of my testing was done with v7.4; I've been running the plugin for over a year in that version. I've been using a GTX560M, then a GTX770M though which are both significantly more capable then the old GT620M, so perhaps this is where the problem lies.

Try those 'trouble' presets under 7.4 and see if they work OK. If so then I guess there are some teething problems with v8 that I need to iron out.

If anyone is having issues then please hold off using the plugin until I can resolve them.

Regards,

Scott

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 6:58 pm
Well tested as requested:
Using 7.4.1 stutter score of 3, CPU around 33%
Using 8.0.1765.644 stutter score of 5, CPU around 25%

Conclusion:
These "problem" plugins run noticeably (est 20%) better on VDJ8 in terms of noticeable effect, Total CPU usage, Audio CPU usage.
It seems the problem may lay with the borderline 620M graphics on this machine.
It does not appear to be a VDJ8 issue.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 1:41 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I will test those presets on my system and see what happens.

In any case I will pull them from the installer.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 4:11 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)