Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Track Cleaner Suggestions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

So, I like the general idea, but I would like to suggest some modifications.

1. Many of us are playing these tracks in a deck first of all, and finding what we need to "clean" while playing the track. It would be nice if we could note the time into the track where we need to edit, especially if there are multiple points, and then be able to reference that when we open the same file up in track cleaners.... so having a time tracker in the track cleaner window would be great.

2. I notice the colored blocks showing beat 1,2,3,4... it would make it easier to see where a beat starts by having very thin white divider lines between those blocks shades, showing where they start and end. We don't want to cut out half a beat, we want to cut out 4 beats dead on, or 8 beats, or 16 or whatever... but not a half or a third.

3. It's really important to us as DJ's to not mess up the phrasing of a song. I generally don't want to reverse a bad phrase, I'd rather remove it.... but if I remove it, then I've messed up the phrasing of the music. Hence, a phrase might only have 12 beats instead of 16. It will be off. I can kind of fix this by removing, and then repeating (stretching) the phrase before it... but it would be nice if we could also have the option to just copy 4, 8, or 16 (etc) beat section and paste it overtop the area needing to be "cleaned".

4. It would be cool if we could easily save an actually mp3 editted copy. Not initially, I like the xml thing, but when we get it exactly like we want, it could be cool to have the option to save a mp3 file that way.

Overall, the easier this process can be made, but more useful a tool it will be. If it can be made very easy to use, it could be a lifesaver at a gig, if we run into a track that is not clean already.

Anyway, just my suggestions :)

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 1:02 am
Those are excellent suggestions. Having the minutes/seconds would really be helpful. And perhaps a way to access the editor directly from the track play window.

I would add to that the ability to "preview" the track so you can play with changes before you commit to the final version. Also, with that in mind, having an undo/redo feature would be excellent.

Also, having the ability to turn on/off a "snap" function would be rad. It would make great use of the improved beatgrids!!!

And a fade in/out feature, where you could grab the beginning or end of a song, drag it to a set length, and choose a fade curve...

And perhaps a dedicated tool set...Items such as scissors or a knife tool to split the track, a hand tool for grabbing and moving, a glue tool to join split sections....

Just some additional ideas to toss around. It would be really nice to see this feature become more like an actual DAW editing program...

Posted Tue 27 May 14 @ 9:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)