Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Samples on VMS 4.1 Sample Select key

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Not sure if I should ask this here but as I'm on V8 I guess it's the right place.
I'm trying to get some of the inbuilt and my own samples/effects to show up on the Sample Select Window in VDJ (I'm using the inbuilt 4.1 map).
Yesterday I put a couple of my own samples into the \Samples\Audio folder and then dropped them into the Audio FX Virtual folder in VDJ and it seemed to work.
I've come back to it today and it did and update, which I let it do. Now it seems to be showing me the samples in the Video & Scratch virtual folder?
Can anyone explain to me where I need to pace any samples/effects to make them show up on the sample select dial of the vms 4.1 please?

Admins, if this should be in the general forum please move it or let me know and I'll do so. Thanks.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 9:38 am
Hi Clive!

Are these samples just plain old audio files, not video of any kind?

There's a dedicated samples folder in the left 'folders' area of the browser now, where you can create new banks and sub-folders.

You can use the VDJ browser to drag and drop samples into (some of) these folders.

Then, using the sample editor, you can assign icons to them, colour code them, group them (which makes them switch rather than play on top of each other) etc.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 9:48 am
Hi groovindj,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Mine are just ordinary audio (mp3) files but some of the built in ones looking in the documents\VirtualDJ\Sampler folder are *.vdjsample files. Not at all sure what they are.
Anyway I am happy with how do drag things around in the sampler folders in the browser. It's just where they need to go to show up in the sampler section of my controller mapping that's giving me a headache. I would like to get the ones I use to show up there so I can click through to select one and play it without going via the browser.
At the moment it seems to be showing the samples from the Video & Scratch virtual folder but yesterday I swear it was from the Audio FX virtual folder, which would make more sense to me. So I'm looking for a definitive answer on where to pace samples so the show up on the sample select window in the map.
Sorry if I'm not making much sense but I'm struggling to get my mind around it at the moment.
Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:00 am
Just to confirm. I have dropped a couple of other samples in the Video & Scratch folder and they do indeed show up in the sample select window on the map.
So I can work with that if that's where they need to go. Just hope it doesn't change again tomorrow :-)
Can anyone explain exactly what is in a *.vdjsample file?

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:04 am
I can get my VMS4 out and have a peruse for you.....

It's probably possible to get the VMS mapping to use another folder, I should think.

EDIT: I found that if you switch the sampler view to "list mode" then you can see the selected sample being highlighted. You can use the VMS 'sample select' knob to scroll up and down in any of the sampler 'banks' (instruments, video & scratch, audio fx, famous....) plus any banks you add yourself.

You'd have to assign your own VMS keys to switch sampler banks though (sampler_bank -1 and sampler_bank +1)

The vdjsample files are actually thinly disguised OGG files.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:17 am
Many thanks. Don't get it out specially. I'll have a root around and see what I can find out.
Thanks again for the help.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:28 am
Nich240PRO InfinityMember since 2014
groovindj - Thanks for sharing "to see the samples you are selecting use list view". Will this be fixed so that it can be used in all views?

Posted Mon 20 Oct 14 @ 11:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)