Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Please Consider default Directory Change vor this Beta !!!!!!!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

gbeulPRO InfinityMember since 2007
as i read most of the posts in this form and even opend some posts my self i suggest the developers schloud

Change the Default Directory for VDJ8 to /"user"/documents/Virtual DJ 8

Why:

most problems with controllers and mappers came up during migration by using the same folder "Virtual DJ/Mappers" for both the 7 and 8
so migrating back to 7 means delete files in mappers
update to 8 means delete files in mappers

most problems with pulgins and samplers have the same Issue

please consider
1. that not everybody how is testing your software now is a computerspezialist how can manage the copy or deletion of files such easy as an developer how is deep in his programm.
2. all the people from atomix that do the support now for this beta period (moderators, vips and atomix) has to do more tikets with checking if files are there for 7 or 8 than with helping and finding the real bugs.
3. consider now only lets say 0,5% of all the million users out there are testing active your software what will happen to your staff in this forum when you go live and only 10% of this million users came up with such a "bloody folder thing" wich can be solved with just the variable "%Virtualdj_Home%"

Please all Tester in this Forum Vote for this to help Atomix to get an Idea How Helpfull this could be by sorting out Importent Errors

Best Regards
Gerrit

Think Atomix did a good shoot with V8

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 5:26 am

We did consider this, there are pro and con with both ways..
With not changing directory the users could have a more pleasant transition to v8, with all their skins, effects, history, playlist etc there at first start..

Drawback is that some fx dont work in v8, and some mapping can have changed yes..

Both ways has its ups and downs

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 7:06 am
Shure thats why I'm saying Users schould Vote here to give Atomix an Idea what the Users Prefer
it will make Desiccion much more Easyer.

Best Regards
Gerrit

PS: Copying the content of VirtualDJ (7) Folder to an new V8 with excepting mappers/devices and FX didn't change nothing regarding an smoth transition but helps with going back to 7
PPS: You did the thame thing allready with a:) the Database and b:) with Reg vs. settings.xml
PPPS: Just Change the Regestri Key "HomeFolder" to "HomeFolder8" and tell VDJ8.exe to this Variable and both Versions will work side by side

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 7:33 am
I mean it's easier to start with a clean V8 installation in a new Folder. There are so many things from the V7 that doesn't work in V8. Playlist can easy be copied when the new Version runs smooth ;-)

The Database must be copied in the new Version, thats the most important thing!

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 7:38 am
DJ-Elliot wrote :

The Database must be copied in the new Version, thats the most important thing!

yeah true, kind of.. VDJ 8 doesnt copy the database from v7, it makes its own new one..
In a scenario where v8 would have its own install folder, it would be easy for the software itself to convert the db to v8, from the v7 folder.. (no copying by user)

but yeah, we did consider this already, and it has its good/bad sides both ways..

(sure the more experienced user have no problem copy over what he needs and know what to look for, but there are tons of not so experience at pc users too ;))

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 7:58 am
dj-in-norway wrote :

(sure the more experienced user have no problem copy over what he needs and know what to look for, but there are tons of not so experience at pc users too ;))

thats exactly my point they will kill you on release date because all the old mapper/devices and fx files will popup with errors or failures in controller handling

and you the mods and vips have to sort it out

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 9:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)