Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Colourize a group?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

StylesQPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hey, it would be cool to be able to colourize an entire "group", and not just individual songs. Maybe this is possible now embedded somewhere in the options?

When you tag a bunch of songs and put them in an "EDM" GROUP for instance - you have the option to just give the "group" a colour instead of having to do it with each song.
That way down the road if you want to change the colour of the group for "whatever reason" lol, it applies to all the songs in the group, vs re-doing each song colour.

This is done in POS software for menu changes etc. Change the price of a "group" and all the menu items in that group change, instead of having to go through and change the prices of all the items separately. (ie: 100 different cocktails with the same price).

Same principal could be applied to song grouping and colour.

BTW...I sorta miss the menu bar in ver 7 (Browser - Sampler - Effects - Record) across the middle of the screen. I guess I just got used to it being there and it was easy to switch windows. 2cents.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:12 pm
you can do this in several ways..
In the simplest way just multi select tons of files with shift button down (or ctrl to pick ), and right click selection -> tag editor -> change color -> apply

In a more "smart" way you could make a filter folder that finds all songs with ID tag 2014, or house, and then select every file in there with ctrl + a , and do same procedure as above...

etc etc..

Or you could use the grouping column in VirtualDJ 8, and make a filter folder that gets all songs added to this group and to the ctrl+a to batch color.

Alternatively make a virtual folder, where you'd drag and drop songs over to different groups you want, and color them in batch too ..

Not sure if this is exactly same as you had in mind, and it wouldnt be automatic, but fairly easy and fast to do

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:59 pm
Hey Norway,
Yes, thanks for the detailed answer...yes...I tried your filter folder idea - excellent. Created a filter folder, and filtered the name according to the group the songs are in, and yes, all of those songs appeared in the group filter folder. I then applied a batch colour to all songs in that folder, and now back in their respective "original" folders, voila, those certain songs are colourized!

Thanks for describing the filter folder use too...if I want to do a set of "old school rap" or "progressive house", I can go to the filter folders and choose which "grouping" I want to play from. I filled in the "group" space for each song, for those who don't know what i'm referring to - House, 90's Euro, etc etc)
U know, I don't know how I used to play from cd's and vinyl back in the day with no computers at my side - finding everything...but then again...today, the same amount of music comes out in a month as did a year back then - everytime I look at beatport, it's got a new top 100..every other week! lol case in point.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 8:49 pm
Hey Norway...I have one more question for ya...In the search bar above the songs - there are 13 ways to search - can this list be edited to add grouping?

If not, i'll just use genre then.
Thanks

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 9:20 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)