Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: No DB Meter

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I just noticed that V8 does not have a db indicator to show when you are going past 0db and into the yellow or red... I think that needs to be reintagrated into the program, I like to know when im sending to much signal to my amps without having to look at the back of the speakers to see if they are clipping which i dont care to do everytime the bass hits....

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 9:04 am
Has a limiter though, so that should never be an issue.. the limiter will take care of that

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 9:07 am
Did 7 have a dB indicator?

I think the official reply to this will be that it's not necessary because of the limiter which is now permanently engaged across the output, which prevents going past 0dB.

It would be nice to have some figures next to the meters though, to have some idea of the scale (how many dB between meter segments).

Same with EQ - would be nice to see how many dB you are cutting/boosting.

Another idea: A "peak hold" option for the meters.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 9:09 am
groovindj wrote :
Did 7 have a dB indicator?

I think the official reply to this will be that it's not necessary because of the limiter which is now permanently engaged across the output, which prevents going past 0dB.

It would be nice to have some figures next to the meters though, to have some idea of the scale (how many dB between meter segments).

Same with EQ - would be nice to see how many dB you are cutting/boosting.

I agree I prefer to see what I am pushing, I dont like looking at the limiter when i can see with my own eyes where the level is compared to the db number next to it, in the middle of a song i switched to my vms2 skin and i was redlining the entire time and the limiter was not showing i was.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 9:13 am
My question is what do the colors actually mean? I was always taught with digital that if the meter hit yellow, the levels were above 0db. As a result I have always tried to stay green. With VDJ8 I have had the Master Meters hit red without triggering the limiter. Does this mean the levels are still below 0db? It makes a big difference as to how much I adjust gain on tracks. My goal is to avoid all clipping while keeping signal as high as possible.

Posted Wed 18 Jun 14 @ 12:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)