Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Browser: Sort entries/ columns/ attributes

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

How can I sort more than one columns (ascending or descending). It was a feature up to v7 to sort more than one column per left click:
e.g. [Artist] then [Album] then [Title]

All I found in v8beta is sorting just one column.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 3:34 pm
build 1761.644:
You can sort Artist and Title ascending or descending but it is still impossible to sort e.g. Artist and Album or Album and Title.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 5:55 am
It needs to be possible for us to sort by one then t'other from any pairing of columns.

We need a fast fix on this one!

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 7:00 am
groovindj wrote :

We need a fast fix on this one!

Lol

It's on the radar. It will be looked at.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 8:16 am
Any update on this issue yet? I like to sort by time and bpm but this is no longer possible in version 8.

DJ James

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 8:27 pm
Come on guys let's get this fixed!

Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 @ 7:47 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
This has already been fixed some time ago.
Just sort by one column, then by another

Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 @ 10:43 am
Adion wrote :
This has already been fixed some time ago.

Really? Then why is this happening?

(from this thread)
groovindj wrote :
I think sorting in the browser is still not 100% fixed.

It's better than it was. Now, some of the columns are linked - but not flawlessly.

If you sort by BPM then key, it sorts the BPM then sorts the key whilst retaining the BPM order. If you sort the other way around (key then BPM) it doesn't work.

Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 @ 11:56 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Just tried and working here.
Keep in mind that bpm is a numeric field though, even though 2 songs may be shown as 126 bpm, one might be 126.000 and the other may be 126.001, so the second one will obviously come after the first one, regardless of the key.

Posted Sun 06 Jul 14 @ 8:26 am
1. VDJ8 auto-calculates and REPLACES my "Harmonic" tags (not the individual ID3 tags, just in its database. Yes I could clear and re-scan the database every time, but I want it 'to just work'). Leave my Mixed In Key tags alone! I trust them more, because they work better than what VDJ8 calculates (fewer 08A, more xxB's). I have changed 'Settings>Options&Tweaks>keyDetection' to electronic, but in reality I don't want it auto-updating at all!
Also, the 'key difference' parameter is calculated inconsistently, and updates strangely. Ι've been playing a 07A, and in the browser some 08A tracks are listed as difference 0, but some as difference 4! With some research, it looks like this is a result of the dumb renaming. I export all my filenames as "BPM""KEY"_"ARTIST"__"TITLE", so I have a record of the MiK key. Guess what? The songs which were labelled 08A but had keydiff 4, were actually all originally 11B! So it looks like the keydiff calculates correctly (hopefully using the ID3tag-value), but the browser substitutes a dumb value. ⁻n⁻

2. Please make the browser_scroll command accept percentages, so that you can use a touch-strip (needle drop) to jump through (like clicking on the scroll-bar jumps immediately).
Currently the only solution I've found is mapping a relative value (e.g. on the Pioneer 2000NXS NEEDLE_DROP)
param_bigger 0% ?
play ? song_pos :
param_smaller 1% ? browser_scroll 'top' :
param_smaller 50% ? browser_scroll -50 :
param_smaller 99% ? browser_scroll +50 :
browser_scroll 'bottom'
: nothing

(Obviously I concatenate the code into one line, I've just expanded it here for legibility)
If you touch at the very beginning or very end, it jumps to 'top' or 'bottom', but anywhere in the middle gets pushed-up/-down relatively, rather than being able to accept a percentage. This is inaccurate and imprecise.

3. The browser_sort command remembers context differently from manually clicking on browser columns. Manual isn't as good as it could be (should behave like MP3tag's "Use Natural Sorting" setting, which is ideal). I want to be able to click 'Harmonic'→'BPM'→'Album' to sort my library by album, in ascending BPM, ordered by key.

But when I try to map these to hotkeys, it completely forgets the context! Either in sequence, or strung together in one command:
browser_sort "Harmonic"
browser_sort "BPM"
browser_sort "Album"

OR
browser_sort "Harmonic" & browser_sort "BPM" & browser_sort "Album"

These should be behaving exactly as if I had clicked the browser headers. Please fix. Currently I use 'q','w', and 'e' as so:
q:broswer_sort "harmonic" & browser_sort "bpm"
w:browser_sort "album"
e:browser_sort "harmonic"

I wish the 'q' command worked. Currently, if I click 'Harmonic', then 'BPM', it is ordered correctly. But if I toggle them with a command it doesn't behave in the same way. (And yes, I am very picky about my tags, I know they are numeric, but they're consistently generated by Mixed in Key, then ripped and processed with custom MP3tag scripts).

This is worth fixing, because then you don't have to worry about mousing-over column headers just to be able to sort them, you can simply map it to a button!
var "$SortingColumn" ? browser_sort "bpm" & set "$SortingColumn" 0 : browser_sort "album" & set "$SortingColumn" 1

What I really want to be able to do is replace
var "$SortingColumn" ? browser_sort "bpm" & set "$SortingColumn" 0 : browser_sort "album" & set "$SortingColumn" 1
With
browser_sort "Harmonic" & browser_sort "BPM" & browser_sort "Album"
browser_sort "Harmonic" & browser_sort "Album" & browser_sort "BPM"

Respectively, so
var "$SortingColumn" ? browser_sort "Harmonic" & browser_sort "Album" & browser_sort "BPM" & set "$SortingColumn" 0 : browser_sort "Harmonic" & browser_sort "BPM" & browser_sort "Album" & set "$SortingColumn" 1

4. Can someone please explain how to skin to get a 2 decimal-place pitch% ? (I like mixing house with precise pre-determined pitch-increments)
Is there a '%Pbpmex' equivalent for pitch, if yes than what is it, if no, then please make it!
I know the slider action="pitch" object automatically shows a tooltip with 2 decimal places, could we please be able to make skins that display it? It's in there, let us at it!

MISC SCRIPTING QUESTION A: The Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS controller definition is mapped with TEXT_BPM:"get text '%bpm'" which only sends a 0-decimal-place BPM to the deck display. Presumably this should be changed to "get text '%Pbpmex'"? (I'm not currently in the club so I can't test).

MISC SCRIPTING QUESTION B: Syntax for performing In-line arithmetic. I want to display 'beats remaining/8' above '%Pleft' in a text-zone. Currently I have
<textzone visibility="var_equal '@$time' 0">
<size width="74" height="27"/>
<pos x="+0" y="+1"/>
<text font="Tahoma" align="center" size="13" color="#ECECEC" weight="bold" format="%Bleft & param_multiply 0.125\n%Pleft" scroll="no"/>
</textzone>

But instead of performing the calculation, it interprets everything as text (I have no other idea of where to perform the calculation, but I'm not surprised this doesn't work)

Posted Thu 22 Oct 15 @ 3:25 pm
First of all, almost all your issues are either wishes or questions regarding technical assistance and not bugs, thus you should really post on the appropriate forums to have better responses.

Quote :
1. VDJ8 auto-calculates and REPLACES my "Harmonic" tags (not the individual ID3 tags, just in its database. Yes I could clear and re-scan the database every time, but I want it 'to just work'). Leave my Mixed In Key tags alone! I trust them more, because they work better than what VDJ8 calculates (fewer 08A, more xxB's)

Yes, that's not a bug. It's by design and it's never gonna change. Each program use it's own algorithms to analyze and determine keys. It's your right to use MIK if you want and VDJ respects the TAGS of your files as it should. But it will always use it's own Key detection algorithm in order to achieve better consistency between results. If you find it unreliable, you can give as examples of songs that are detected with a wrong key so that the key detection algorithm can be improved.
Quote :
2. Please make the browser_scroll command accept percentages, so that you can use a touch-strip (needle drop) to jump through (like clicking on the scroll-bar jumps immediately).

That's a wish. However personally I still believe that what you have now is far more better than browser_scroll +10%
Quote :
3. The browser_sort command remembers context differently from manually clicking on browser columns. Manual isn't as good as it could be (should behave like MP3tag's "Use Natural Sorting" setting, which is ideal). I want to be able to click 'Harmonic'→'BPM'→'Album' to sort my library by album, in ascending BPM, ordered by key.

That's another wish. Currently sorting does not go several levels deep. It only foes 2 levels deep and only for the common BPM, Artist and Title columns.
Quote :
4. Can someone please explain how to skin to get a 2 decimal-place pitch% ? (I like mixing house with precise pre-determined pitch-increments)
Is there a '%Pbpmex' equivalent for pitch, if yes than what is it, if no, then please make it!
I know the slider action="pitch" object automatically shows a tooltip with 2 decimal places, could we please be able to make skins that display it? It's in there, let us at it!

get_pitch returns the current pitch value up to two decimal points (e.g. 1.23) So you can put it in a textzone. Instead of format="%pitch" write action="get_pitch"
Quote :
MISC SCRIPTING QUESTION A: The Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS controller definition is mapped with TEXT_BPM:"get text '%bpm'" which only sends a 0-decimal-place BPM to the deck display. Presumably this should be changed to "get text '%Pbpmex'"? (I'm not currently in the club so I can't test).

There's a small limitation on the Pioneer's firmware that currently prevents decimals to be shown on display
Quote :

MISC SCRIPTING QUESTION B: Syntax for performing In-line arithmetic. I want to display 'beats remaining/8' above '%Pleft' in a text-zone. Currently I have
<textzone visibility="var_equal '@$time' 0">
<size width="74" height="27"/>
<pos x="+0" y="+1"/>
<text font="Tahoma" align="center" size="13" color="#ECECEC" weight="bold" format="%Bleft & param_multiply 0.125\n%Pleft" scroll="no"/>
</textzone>
But instead of performing the calculation, it interprets everything as text (I have no other idea of where to perform the calculation, but I'm not surprised this doesn't work)

In order to be able to do calculations you need to change the textzone from "format" to "action" and also cast the text to integers: e.g.:
action="get_text '%BPleft' & param_cast 'integer' & param_multiply 0.125"

Posted Fri 23 Oct 15 @ 1:13 pm
Wrote long reply, then lost it ):

3. Sorting only goes deep if you click the headers. If you map it to a command, it forgets all context. Please make the command behave as well as clicking. Like, it's almost there, just not quite enough.

4. action="get_pitch" works. But the number isn't padded, which can get ambiguous (here, 3.3% means exactly 3.30%, whereas any other time in VDJ 3.3% could mean anything between 3.25%-3.34%). Is it possible to pad the number to 2 decimal places?

MISC SCRIPTING QUESTION B: I'm making a 'beats remaining counter', but the field was originally
format="%Pspent\n%Pleft"
Presumably you can't include 「\n」 in 'action=', so would the simplest solution be just to add another textzone below the first one?

On that same topic - I want to improve the 'beats remaining' counter, by adjusting the '%left' value to take account of when the beats end (i.e. EndFade POI or CuePoint8), not when the whole song ends.

I can't find a verb to 'subtract'
(time value of fadeCut POI/CuePoint8) - (current time)
Maybe I could use param_add and multiply one by (-1). But to do arithmetic, I need to somehow page the 'time left' value you'd get from "goto_mixpoint "EndFade" " ... without actually moving the current playback point.

And while I'm at it, zooming out all-the-way with scratch waveforms sometimes scales the location of cue-markers too much, so they desync from the waveform. I wish you could zoom out more than 100%, since I like seeing the big picture to visually match up the phrasing of songs (something no other DJ software can do :D )

Posted Wed 28 Oct 15 @ 8:45 am
Is secondary sort orders back yet? if so how do you do it?

moderator; don't bump years old threads. Locked

Posted Thu 12 Dec 19 @ 9:11 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)