Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: DDJ-SX effects puzzling me

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello fellow DDJ-SX users. Effects seem to puzzle me.

First of all, rotary knob 1 above the jogwheels seem to choose the effect. However, deleting all the extra effects in the virtualDJ folder, I can't browse through the built-in effects (except when using the mouse & the pulldown menu)

Second: The FX1 & FX2 buttons - they seem to be scripted but for me they do absolutely nothing except light on & off. How can I assign effects to them? (without resorting to relearning the keys?)

Thanks a lot!

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 12:59 pm
There are two modes:
The (single effect) mode and the (multi fx) mode
Press SHIFT+FX4 ON button once and see if it works better for you now... :)

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 1:04 pm
Thank you! That already seems to be more logical. I can now preset 3 effects & the parameters are set with the knob & shift-knob.

FX1 & FX2 (FX1_ASSIGN & FX2_ASSIGN) buttons still do nothing - or I don't understand them.

In the mean time I can work with the FX ON/OFF buttons. Would be nice to find a fix for the FX1&2 buttons though! :)

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 1:33 pm
By the way, can I somehow start virtual DJ in the multi-effect mode?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 1:34 pm
Hi George.
Can your mapper be used vith V8?
Thank you, Tomas.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 1:47 pm
Not yet. I will update it within the next couple days...
Too busy with support right now! :)

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 2:21 pm
TonioRoffo wrote :
FX1 & FX2 (FX1_ASSIGN & FX2_ASSIGN) buttons still do nothing - or I don't understand them.

They assign the left (FX1) and right (FX2) effect sections to a specific deck. So for example, you could still apply effects to deck 1 when deck 3 is in use, etc. (This is how they function in v7 with the default native mapper and also as documented in the DDJ-SX user manual.)

By default (When unassigned), the effect sections apply to the left and right deck.

If you wanted them to trigger the assigned effect in slots 1 & 2 for each deck, then you could simply change the mappings to the following:

FX1_ASSSIGN effect 1 active
FX2_ASSSIGN effect 2 active

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 2:31 pm
OK, that is explained perfectly, thanks for your help, now I got my mapper set up as I want it :)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 1:20 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Not yet. I will update it within the next couple days...
Too busy with support right now! :)

That he is i know i talked to him earlier today for like 30 mins.. lol. .apologize about that phantom. thanks for the help hope i was not to annoying.. i can do my thang but telling u what i did for get it i dont know the language yet. DEEJAY LANAUGE THAT IS. LOL.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 3:13 am
Well more questions though... ;)

* Can I force VDJ to load in multi-effect mode, so I don't have to set it everytime?

Thanks

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 1:50 pm
[I
jpboggis wrote :
TonioRoffo wrote :

They assign the left (FX1) and right (FX2) effect sections to a specific deck. So for example, you could still apply effects to deck 1 when deck 3 is in use, etc. (This is how they function in v7 with the default native mapper and also as documented in the DDJ-SX user manual.)

By default (When unassigned), the effect sections apply to the left and right deck.

If you wanted them to trigger the assigned effect in slots 1 & 2 for each deck, then you could simply change the mappings to the following:

FX1_ASSSIGN effect 1 active
FX2_ASSSIGN effect 2 active

Hey, that worked great and i've been looking to get around to doing that for a while! I like to 'dip' the pitch with slip_brake and drop out of bad songs with slip_brake or Flanged LoopOut. Now I have those assigned to FX1 and FX2 on each deck like I want! If you change your mind, you have to press the now-lit FX Select button above the active deck to bail out of it! Is it possible to toggle the effect assigned to it on/off with another keypress of FX1/FX2?

I was puzzled by the effects too. I sat down, opened and excel spreadsheet to copy/paste the action for each button I want to change and how it differs from the factory & Phantom mapper and do my tweaks one at a time saving in a third column. Now I see that Phantom is hard at work on a new one anyhow.

Wishlist to Phantom: split sampler banks for left and right deck, or at least toggling two banks of 8 on each side with the shift key.
AND unhooking the Pad Mode buttons 1,2,3, and 4 on the DDJ-SX from changing the Effect Slot 1selection! When you select roll on the controller, it changes the slot 1 effect to Loop Roll. Same for Pad Mode Slicer button. It changes slot 1 effect to Slicer. Do not like.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 4:00 pm
TonioRoffo wrote :
Well more questions though... ;)

* Can I force VDJ to load in multi-effect mode, so I don't have to set it everytime?

Thanks

Create a new entry on your mapper (ONINIT) and put the following code as it's action:
set "$fx1multi" 1 & set "$fx2multi" 1

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 4:14 pm
Brilliant. Thanks.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 4:00 am
Rnow3PRO InfinityMember since 2011

Posted Fri 23 May 14 @ 12:53 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)