Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: REG Edit for VDJ8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Will the Regedit tool work with VDJ8 or is there a way to do it now in the VDJ8 config section?

On 7 I moved my VDJ and Itunes folder to a dropbox folder so I can sync them across 2 systems

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 8:32 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
VDJ8 doesn't use the registry anymore.
All settings are saved in a file named "settings.xml" which is located in Documents/VirtualDJ...

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 8:45 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
And you don't need any tool to tweak it, since all settings are available in 'Options' when you select to show advanced options as well.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 8:45 am
Does this mean that VDJ 8 is portable (i.e. you could run it from a USB flash drive)?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 8:53 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
At this time it is not possible to change the folder it looks for for settings, so even though you could put vdj on a usb stick, you'd still have to copy settings/skins/effects to the Documents\VirtualDJ folder before launching it

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 8:56 am
Can you see the benefits though of running it completely self-contained, with music files etc. all on one drive that could be run
from any computer and pulled out afterwards without leaving any detritus behind?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 9:01 am
Does anyone have problems transfering the data base from 7.4 to 8.0?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 9:11 am
Database transfer should be automatic on first load of Virtual DJ 8.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 9:30 am
Adion wrote :
At this time it is not possible to change the folder it looks for for settings, so even though you could put vdj on a usb stick, you'd still have to copy settings/skins/effects to the Documents\VirtualDJ folder before launching it

So I wont be able to run it like I do now?

Right now I have my VirtualDJ folder in my dropbox folder c:\Dropbox\VirualDJ

Then using the regedit I have VDJ looking to that folder for my database and also I have my Itunes Database folder in dropbox C:\Dropbox\iTunes

This allows me to make cue points on my desktop and sync those changes to mny laptop.

The only thing you have to make sure to do is not hav ethem open at the same time otherwise it will create a conflicted copy of your database file.

So could I go into the settings in VDJ8 and point my database to that dropbox folder or is this not possible yet?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 11:02 am
Currently no - but Adion did say "At this time..." so maybe it will come :-)

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 11:03 am
djtouchdan wrote :
Currently no - but Adion did say "At this time..." so maybe it will come :-)

:( waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 11:20 am
prezPRO InfinityMember since 2005
djtouchdan.... use a program like SugarSync
you can keep your files where the default program places them and you can sync any or all you want, just select them, then just sync across your account to multiple PC's, that's how I keep my backup PC up to date without having to keep moving or copying files.
if my main computer fails, I just open my backup and my backup will sync to the last state of my main computer and away I go, I have my playlists, history, virtual folders, any and all settings (even if I changed them)

I do however keep my library (with xml files) backed up on multiple external drives that travel in separate cases for extreme emergencies, like if you don't have an internet connection or your hotspot fails.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 9:50 am
Adion wrote :

I would appreciate this greatly, I hope you consider it. In fact, I would gladly buy a separate license just for myself so I could have everything set up my own way and never have to worry about anyone elses settings or tinkering on what is a shared work computer. Thanks for the new version, which is the other reason I have would have no problem buying my own license :)

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 10:42 pm
gbeulPRO InfinityMember since 2007
vdj and regestrie:

it uses only to key's in VDJ 8
HKCU:\Software\Virtualdj\Homefolder and Programmpath

if you add this to the new PC it is portable

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 4:52 am
NAWTBOY wrote :
Adion wrote :

Then using the regedit I have VDJ looking to that folder for my database and also I have my Itunes Database folder in dropbox C:\Dropbox\iTunes

This allows me to make cue points on my desktop and sync those changes to mny laptop.

The only thing you have to make sure to do is not hav ethem open at the same time otherwise it will create a conflicted copy of your database file.

So could I go into the settings in VDJ8 and point my database to that dropbox folder or is this not possible yet?

Sure it is possible, if you use a few windows tricks.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

Take a look at the website above - it is about junction.exe. It allows you to make an empty folder somewhere on your machine and point it to another - you will see the same thing.

So basically you can keep C:\dropbox\virtualDJ in place and redirect your c:\users\username\documents\virtualdj to your existing folder. Windows won't know the difference. VDJ won't know the difference.

You can also use this across drives. I have my music in c:\musicroot on both my machines. One actually has the music in c:\musicroot, the other machine has it redirected with junction.exe to d:\musicroot. VirtualDJ doesn't know. The database nicely points to c:\musicroot for everything. I just sync both machines and I'm done.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 11:50 am
TonioRoffo wrote :
NAWTBOY wrote :
Adion wrote :

Sure it is possible, if you use a few windows tricks.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

Take a look at the website above - it is about junction.exe. It allows you to make an empty folder somewhere on your machine and point it to another - you will see the same thing.

So basically you can keep C:\dropbox\virtualDJ in place and redirect your c:\users\username\documents\virtualdj to your existing folder. Windows won't know the difference. VDJ won't know the difference.

You can also use this across drives. I have my music in c:\musicroot on both my machines. One actually has the music in c:\musicroot, the other machine has it redirected with junction.exe to d:\musicroot. VirtualDJ doesn't know. The database nicely points to c:\musicroot for everything. I just sync both machines and I'm done.

I tried this on my tablet, with the intention of pointing to, and storing, my downloaded cached files on a micro SD card. Keep in mind this only works on NFTS file format system drives. SD cards or USB flash drives are typically FAT32 formatted, so in my case, Junction did not work. It would really be a nice option to be able to direct VDJ8 where to look for and store cached files, as this directory can get quite large very quickly, even with a small amount of files.

Jamzz

Posted Fri 08 Aug 14 @ 11:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)