Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Mac: POI Editor (Mouse Icon, Transport Control, Icons, Zoom)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When you enter the POI Editor, then click anywhere on the waveform the Mouse Icon changes to a playhead style left/right double arrow scrubbing style pointer.
It never changes back to a regular style pointer when you leave the editor.
The only easy way I have found to change it back is to go to BPM Editor. (That's a whole other point right there)

The POI Editor lacks clear transport control buttons for making and editing the POI. What is the one in the middle that looks like a funnel / filter?
Surely I shouldn't have to go and fetch the playhead to drop it elsewhere when marking up POI. I would expect you should be able to click anywhere and drop the playhead.

Tied in with this, it really lacks a zoom feature for precision (Like in the BPM Editor).
I realise that it moves the main waveform in the skin, but this really isn't an accurate visualisation of this.

Could you also add the ability to multi-select POI if I want to delete several at the same time, rather than having to select, confirm and manually select again.

Thanks,
Ross

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 6:10 pm
DJ Ross M wrote :
When you enter the POI Editor, then click anywhere on the waveform the Mouse Icon changes to a playhead style left/right double arrow scrubbing style pointer.
It never changes back to a regular style pointer when you leave the editor.
The only easy way I have found to change it back is to go to BPM Editor. (That's a whole other point right there)

Already aware of this issue - working on it!

DJ Ross M wrote :

The POI Editor lacks clear transport control buttons for making and editing the POI. What is the one in the middle that looks like a funnel / filter?
Surely I shouldn't have to go and fetch the playhead to drop it elsewhere when marking up POI. I would expect you should be able to click anywhere and drop the playhead.

Currently this is how it works - valid point single click should perhaps move the playmarker

DJ Ross M wrote :

Tied in with this, it really lacks a zoom feature for precision (Like in the BPM Editor).
I realise that it moves the main waveform in the skin, but this really isn't an accurate visualisation of this.

Zoom is the same in POI Editor as it is in BPM, no?

DJ Ross M wrote :

Could you also add the ability to multi-select POI if I want to delete several at the same time, rather than having to select, confirm and manually select again.

Valid point, we can ask!

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 6:15 pm
Most of your questions are answered very well in the manual. Please take a moment to read about POI Editor on the manual. IT should make it all clear :)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 6:16 pm
Hi Phantom.

I sense a mild element of condescension in that comment.

As per your advice, looking back at the manual, it really only addresses one of my issues (badly, I might add).
Unless the copy on my computer is different from yours.

Zoom:
The BPM and POI Editors start off at completely different zoom levels.
This make sense as they both serve different purposes.
Let's just assume for a minute here (Though I am using a Mac with gesture controls on the track pad) that I'm using a mouse which has no scroll wheel or a defective scroll wheel and I do not have a track pad because I am on a desktop, not a laptop, or indeed that on the laptop this is disabled or faulty. There is a clear lack of a pair of buttons (Magnifying Glass with +/- symbols) in the event that I do not have hardware which allows me to zoom. Therefore, this is an oversight. With that in mind, the buttons could indeed have a tooltip that let users know they can use gestures or scroll wheels to zoom also.

That Funnel Shaped Button Icon:
In the version of the manual I am reading, their is no mention of it's purpose / function. And if there is, it is certainly not with a visual reference.

Good software doesn't need bad (digital) paper manuals.

On that manual thing also. When I engage a loop, there is a wizard popup to tell me all about the new Back Loop feature (Very innovative and interesting concept). Perhaps adding a helpful, welcome to new VDJ8 message dialog, detailing that their is indeed a manual, though it's not where you would expect to go and look for it on the website kind of message.

I'm just going to add at this point, that I have been using VDJ from it's very beginning and Atomix MP3 before that. While I expect as a team member your knowledge to be far more in-depth than mine. I have been using this software as my profession for 12 years, so please do not treat me like an idiot.

I've patiently waited 3 years for this, loyally (though I've been tempted to go to Serato DJ several times) and I regularly go out to bat for the Dev Team.
My comments are merely intended to help further improve this software. I want VDJ 8 to shine and be the best.
Though currently my opinion is that this is definitely still Pre-Release software and should not be put on general sale for some time yet.

No hard feelings are meant by this comment. I appreciate that you guys have spent a very long time working on this night and day and that the influx of comments in the last day or so must be totally over whelming.

Best wishes.

Ross

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:01 pm
I didn't mean to offend you, sorry.

I try to answer as many topics as I can and also I'm Greek, which means that English is not my native language.

That being said:

1) You can grab the edeges of the blue area above the waveform to zoom in/out at any part you like. You can also use it to scroll inside the track (click and drag)
2) The icon you mention brings the center of the current window waveform/zoom in the needle position. Consider it as "Go to where needle is" button.

Thank you, and I'm really sorry if I sounded offending...

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:14 pm
No worries.

Having gone back and looked at that again now I see where the problem with the blue viewing bar is.
It seems to be related to 2 separate issues.

1.) The mouse pointer being stuck on the wrong display does not indicate that these are grab areas.
It's very difficult to grab it from the left side of the blue bar, it's like I'm missing it every time.
On the right side it is not an issue. So I expect this has a lot to do with the wrong mouse pointer issue.

2.) Throughout the entire software the accuracy of the mouse pointer seems to be quite some way off.
I'm not having issues in other software. I've just been doing some pixel editing.
I am wondering if this could be a Retina Display issue throwing the accuracy off.

Some things are near impossible to hit first time. Even hovering over POI (Cue Points) in the waveform the pointer edge is to the left of where you would normally expect it to line up.

Ross

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:32 pm
There has been reported some issues with mouse pointer on MAC's and our dev team will fix them :)

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:37 pm
My findings on the editor windows:

Top scrollbar needs to be fatter vertically. Even on a 23" screen it's very thin, and the tiny little red & green lines are also very small (width needs to be adjustable ideally).

Zooming in/out needs to have buttons or a zoom level fader. Not all users will have a mouse or one with a wheel.
I realise zooming can be done by grabbing the edge of the blue bar, but the bar is very thin (see above).

Play buttons - there should be a "play from beginning" button and/or a "play from (first) beat grid marker"

The metronome volume control needs to be within the BPM Editor screen, next to the metronome icon - not only in config. Track v metronome balance control?

Things generally need more labelling to indicate the function of each control to the user.

BPM Editor needs option to scroll waveform as track plays.

Waveforms disappear when zooming fully out on Automix Editor (to show all tracks), leaving blank grey boxes.

Moving beat grid lines in sample editor prevents end of loop from playing (end of loop changes color in sample editor window).

Green playback line does not move when playing back track(s) in Automix Editor. Current playback time indicator does not update either.

Once track has started playing (Automix Editor), pressing the play/pause/stop controls does not stop or pause the track. Track simply restarts.

Calling sample editor from browser (middle) window displays less info than when called from sidelist (group/color/trigger options missing).

Video window in sample editor (when using video sample) doesn't show moving video. Shows random frames.

Graphics bug with stretch button in track cleaner (appears in middle of waveform when window is large)

Sample editor play marker (green line) random stop positions

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 7:39 pm
More editor issues:

As above, nothing in the manual or the software itself to explain the strange icon in the POI Editor. No text next to it in the editor, no tooltip that pops up. Nothing!

Even clicking it didn't seem to actually do anything.

The position of the play and play/stop (or whatever that is) buttons is not consistent across the editors. Most have them on the left, but the POI Editor has them on the right.

In the Track Editor, why is it not possible to hear what you've done as you work, before you save it?

If you are censoring, you want to check that you've actually got it right. If you're removing a section, you should be able to see/hear it being removed, and/or the progress bar skipping over it, if the section is still on screen. To have to save it before you've heard it seems counter intuitive.

The coloured POI markers should be deletable directly from the markers, by right clicking or pressing delete on the keyboard, rather than having to select each one with your mouse, then move the mouse over to the delete icon, then move your mouse back to the next marker ad infinitum.

Same with deleting them from the 'points' list. Why can't you just hit delete?

I also tried to assign an actionmarker and make it do something when the track reached that location. Couldn't get it to do anything. Don't tell me it has to be saved first?

Not a pleasant experience. :-(

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 4:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)