Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: PC version - Vitual Folders not displaying data

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My Virtual Folders work fine on my Mac version of VDJ 8, but, the PC version only shows Artist & Title. No BPM, Length, Key, etc.

I'm using the same external USB 1Tb drive for both Mac & PC. The Mac has the plugin that allows read & writing of NTFS drives, but, it's the PC version that's not working. Also works fine in VDJ 7.

Oh, and trying to load them into the players causes an 'error'.

Posted Mon 12 May 14 @ 11:00 am
I have just updated to the latest build 1752 and this issue is still there.

Some more details; The Virtual Folders contain mainly Promo Only video files, all are mp4
Looking with the Tag Editor the tracks contain the Artist, Title, Remix, Playcount, Firstseen, Filepath & Filesize

Bitrate: Unknown
Error opening file

As mentioned above they all work fine in VDJ 7 and they work fine with VDJ 8 in the Mac version.
My mid 2010 MBP i7 is bootcamped with Windows 7 and it's the PC version of VDJ 8 where the fault is.

Cheers
Les

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 11:19 am
Still having this problem with the PC version of VDJ 8.

I went on to the Mac side and created a new Virtual Folder and loaded it with 100 mp3s, all analyzed data was there and running normally.

I then re-booted into the PC side. The new Virtual Folder was there, but, there was no analyzed data. It only contained the Artist & Title.

I then opened a playlist, copied a video file to the auto playlist area, opened the new Virtual Folder. I then dragged and dropped the video file from the auto playlist area and it showed all the analyzed data as it should.

I even completely uninstalled the program and cleared all data relating to VDJ 8. Re-installed hoping a re-read of the database might fix it. Alas, it is still the same.

Is anyone else having problems with Virtual Folders? Can't believe it's just me.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:00 pm
Found the fault, it's the video/mp3 location address that's wrong.

Looking in the Tag Editor this is the location the fully working video;
G:\Music Database\1970s\1 Key

This is the location of the files that don't work;
/Volumes/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/Music Database/1970's/1 Key
This is obviously the Mac form of addressing the location.

Can't access the files to edit the address, but, just had an idea ;-)
When I first downloaded VDJ 8 it was the Mac version I looked at first, then I installed the PC version.
If I rename the Folder on the external HD containing these virtual folders. Then run the PC version, would it then create the PC version of the Virtual Folders?

I'm going in!!! Don't stop me, don't stop me, I'm going in........... :-)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:54 pm
Solved!!!

Saw this thread on a few days ago, worked a treat. Lot happier now.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/187086/VirtualDJ_8_Pre-Release_Forum/Migrating_song_database.html?search=delete%20database&page=1.25

Deleted the database and the subFolder then restarted VDJ8 which read the old VDJ7 database including Filter folders. I supose that's one of the hazards of running Mac & PC on the same computer.

I will be re-analyzing my full databases as recommended. Tried a few and found the BPMs usually are correct but the key is changing on lots of files as its supposed to be more accurate. i sometimes use harmonic mixing.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 8:13 pm
DJSoulman wrote :
the key is changing on lots of files as its supposed to be more accurate.

It is more accurate, in the sense that it now detects major keys as well as minor - but it's still a bit dodgy compared to Mixed In Key (which is generally regarded as the benchmark).

I did a test recently and found that out of 12 tracks, VDJ analysed 9 differently to MIK. Two were completely different keys, and 7 were adjacent keys.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 8:24 pm
Yeh, I use MIK and store the result in the comments. Don't normally use MIK at my regular gigs as it's commercial Chart, Dance, RnB. But, on House music or Trance music then I do use MIK.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 10:08 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)