Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: A few words about the limiter - Page: 4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
My comment was specifically about changing settings. After changing settings such as autoGain or zeroDb, all that is needed is to reload the song in order for these settings to take effect. No rescan is required.

If you come from v7, then tracks are automatically rescanned on load. In that case you might see gain/bpm changing once the load is complete. If you play the song before it has finished loading, and there is a difference in calculated gain value, then you might have to manually put the gain slider to the center.
So in this case it may make sense to scan your library before.

Posted Thu 23 Jul 15 @ 5:41 am
GianVJPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Thank You Adion, now I undertand.

Posted Thu 23 Jul 15 @ 7:04 am
GianVJ wrote :
kradcliffe wrote :
Well that has changed because when V8 was released it was definitely advised to rescan to re-analyze the gain and beat grid anchors. Then there was something wrong with the beat grid scan on earlier versions and we had to do it all over again!

The above thread it's recent... and Adion (not a novice user) write those advise (on 05 july 2015); so I don't suprise if "isn't commonly known it seems"

Did you know the beat grid scan is now correct on last official build (2352) ?

Since my database is scanned prior build 2352, a rescan can be good to do then?

Posted Mon 27 Jul 15 @ 3:40 am
is there any way virtual dj eight can record and split tracks at the same time. i want to make a mix cd and it records alright but i can't split the tracks.it seems the vision 7 got more functions than the 8 which is very disaponting .

Posted Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 11:03 am
Why are you posting your question in a thread about the limiter?

Yes, VDJ 8 has an option to automatically split tracks during recording (based on crossfader position) or to do it manually.

Posted Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 11:46 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
In Version 8 the limiter is always enabled and there's no option to turn it off.

Fact1:
It's a limiter. It's not a COMPRESSOR. There are a lot differencies on how and when a limiter kicks in, in comparison with a compressor.

Fact2:
VirtualDj's limiter will activate ONLY when the volume of the sound that you're trying to send on your soundcard would produce DISTORTION on the digital signal path (e.g. You're trying to output digital sound higher than +0db)

Fact3:
VirtualDj's limiter does not act as a compressor nor it can be adjusted to become one. You cannot lower the threshold and you cannot alter the compress ratio.

Now:
If you're having issues because of the limiter (limiter kicks in very frequently) then it's up to your settings and most likely due to your gain adjustments.
Turning the gain all way up on the digital world won't produce louder sound. It will produce louder distorted sound.
In other words: limiter is always active to prevent distortion, and we decided to include it's indicator on the default skin in order to be able to see when you have overdone it and you need to step back.

If you need louder sound then a more powerfull sound system is needed. Not more gain...

PS: VirtualDj's auto gain is set to "Auto+Remember" by default. This means that it will remember your gain adjustments if you tweak them.
However this produces an anwanted side-effect. When you load a track that has a gain set (either by v7 or by v8) too loud it will "force" the limiter to kick in.
Best practise would be to set your auto-gain in options to "auto" only so that VDJ loads the tracks with a propriate gain and the limiter does not kick in frequently.

PS2:
In V7 there was a setting (Volume Headroom)
In V8 we have another option for this, called "zeroDB" By default it's set to 1.0 that equals with no volume headroom. If you like to play with your EQ's frequently and you move them frequently on the positive range, then you should lower this value to get some headroom. Personally I find this value for my style of mixing to be best set between 0.75 and 0.8. However you can mess around with it to find your own sweet spot. (You need to reload a track for this setting to work as it's taken into consideration when you load tracks)

I have to say this when I play my sound on the laptop it's perfect ,but when through virtual dj it is he'll of a low sound ,and I've no even touched the gain ,when I do turn the gain the volume gets even lower ,it's not let us do it louder my songs aren't over modulated ,some how that limiter thinks it is ,it's very seen days virtual dj has accepted loudness then the next day you play that song it's lower ,so how do we stop the limiter it's not letting us increase volume some days it does and doesn't like it loud .For instance I've used win amp it's loud so why is the limiter not accepting loudness ;Who ever wrote the script for the limiter has made it to low and that's no even broadcasting as well so it's to do with that limiter I would like it scrapped

Posted Sat 04 Mar 17 @ 7:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)