Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: A few words about the limiter - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
djtouchdan wrote :

I think this is what you want:
config->options->set advanced-> zeroDB

I entered "-5" but it became louder, so I tried -20 and it seems it's taking the value of +20.

What would be the correct way of entering a negative value? Possible bug?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 12:52 pm
0.75 works best for me

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 1:02 pm
In 7 it was more confusing! I had mine set to 7300 which I figured out (after much calculation) meant -1dB.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 1:14 pm

The difference being that VDJ7 didn't force the limiter on. So suddenly this has become a vital setting, and it's a bit counter intuitive. Especially for the average user who doesn't spend the time on the forum that we do.

I think it should be adjusted to actual db values, and possibly allow it to be accessed via the skin (dragging the gain knob with the right mouse button held down could set the value, or a right click on the knob and a box is presented "set auto-gain level".

It's good that Einstein wrote VDJ, but it shouldn't take another Einstein to work this stuff out :).

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 1:41 pm
I use a mixer/CDJ set-up as many users do, and without adjusting this setting there's a high probability of hitting the limiter all night, that's going to be a source of frustration for anyone who goes out and experiences this.

Assuming that the limiter still functions the same way when in external mixer mode?

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 1:43 pm
you don't turn the gain up in the software you turn it up on your mixer/amp..
virtualdj shouldn't be used to push your system, set your sound system properly..

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 2:44 pm
marksmolinski wrote :
you don't turn the gain up in the software you turn it up on your mixer/amp..
virtualdj shouldn't be used to push your system, set your sound system properly..

I'm assuming you haven't followed this thread, otherwise I'd be forgiven for thinking you're from another planet.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 3:03 pm
it looks to me like people are pushing the gain within virtualdj, thus impacting the limiter??
surely this is very bad practice??

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 3:23 pm

You don't have to push the gain for the limiter to kick in. It depends on how loud your files are to begin with, and the way you mix them, also as the limiter is always on (master), I'm assuming that VDJ could hit the limiter internally in spite of the audio being separated into multiple channels to a mixer (I've not tested and nobody has commented on this yet).

If a user likes to use auto-gain then setting a good reference value in settings is essential. So I think this reference value should be lowered by default, otherwise changing it should be made a bit more user friendly for less advanced users.

Thanks to the support here and experimenting with the settings I'm happy, but I think a lot of users will stumble here as it's easily done. I've suggested a small adjustment here, so I hope its duly noted.

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 3:44 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The default value for the auto-gain is the same as in v7, and is pretty much industry-standard in how average loudness on a file should be.
It sounds to me that some here think that by disabling the limiter there are no limitations anymore, but like I said, the only time when the limiter kicked in was when if it had been turned off it would have caused clipping and the distortion that comes with it. (There was just no indicator for this in v7, so that's why maybe some think that now it's bad when you see the limiter light on, but whenever that happens in v7 you would have gotten far worse distortion)

With all settings on default, it should only very slightly kick in at some times, in which case it is not something you should usually worry about. If it is on all the time, then you are probably pushing the gains or eq's too much.

If you think you didn't have any distortion before, then now you won't notice the limiter, or you did have distortion but just got used to how distortion sounds.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 1:35 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I found that the limiter kicked in excessively on a lot of tracks. After checking the files in audacity to make sure they were not clipping out an such, I decided that it was better to set the zeroDB to 0.8 (others found 0.75). This kept me out of the limiter. Since I use an external mixer and not a controller, just bringing down the internal fader was getting annoying. Some tracks get calculated low this way, but I can make that up with the gain on the hardware mixer. I also set my autoGain from auto+remember to auto so I could get rid of incorrect adjustments I had made in the past.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 1:44 am
gbeulPRO InfinityMember since 2007
all my music is clear and clipfree because i used Platinium Notes so no cliping !

in v7 the limiter was off and all whent well.
in v8 with the limmiter (set to 0) i get probs in disortation
setting this to 0,8 lowers the praesure of my musik and the output is not so loud.

as an pro DJ (wedings,event and club) i will take care of the quality and the loudness of my musik

so please give the option back to disable the limiter as an option.

i know for those youtube ripper dj's that play 48kbps traks in the club this feature is perfect but i will personaly feel better if i had controll over this

thanks gerrit

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 3:48 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
The limiter is for the decibel output of VDJ so as not to over drive the sound card. It has nothing to do with the encoding of the track. I have had some live recordings that had clipped. I was just referencing that I had checked the problem tracks that I have ripped from CD, and they were not abnormal.

I, for one, agree with having the limiter. I also use an external limiter for my passive PA. Active PA's have limiters in them as well. If your gain structure is set properly, you will be just as loud even with the auto gain setting the zero point down 20% giving the headroom for peaks over average zero in the track.

Does your distortion go away if the level is lower in v8, or is it still present? Does the limit light flash?
There are other issues with distortion, that affect some, like the ultra low latency setting that is on by default.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 4:31 am
Adion wrote :

With all settings on default, it should only very slightly kick in at some times, in which case it is not something you should usually worry about. If it is on all the time, then you are probably pushing the gains or eq's too much.

The default setting is probably the best solution for users who mix internally and have a good grasp of mixing (others will still hit the limiter a lot imo). For those who use an external mixer I think the value should be lowered by 10-20%.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 6:28 am
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Nice work on the limiter,I turn the gain song down (only not master gain ) it Help the cut out,I didn't use it in 7 I feel it need some work,but NOW it works Thanks

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 10:23 am
Okay, so another MAJOR ISSUE: Virtual DJ now requires auto-gain settings? I turned that off in 7.4 because I had literally zero control over my ddj-sx volume controls. So, now I have that problem again?

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 10:48 am
Auto Gain still has complete adjustment in the options menu.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 10:52 am
Remember that DJ's who brought VDJ8 Pro have to know what to do when there is a distortion with a song on the master, we don't need a limiter to help us. For VDJ Home Users or Advanced Home Users, they should get and be halped by the limiter, but not Pro Users.
I have a NS7FX, I prelisten the music, I scratch and the when I am scratching, the volume become loud and awful in the headphones and the speakers. I would like to totally disable that limiter. Please, add this option on the next build.

Posted Fri 30 May 14 @ 10:49 am
DJs who brought VDJ8 Pro have know what to do when there is a distortion on the master, we don't need a limiter to help us. For VDJ Home Users or Advanced Home Users, they should get and be helped by the limiter, but not Pro Users. Please, add the option to disable it on the next build.

Posted Wed 04 Jun 14 @ 10:08 am
Hi VDJ Team,

I own both the Pioneer DDJ-SX and DDJ-SZ. I have been struggling with Distortion in the SZ for sometime now and thought it was the board as it this problem doesn't occur with the SZ. No adjustments in the options seem to work.

It seems to me that the limiter and DB adjustment is only active on the master mix output which is internally processed from virtual DJ. Please confirm that direct output from the decks to channels of external mixer is not processed through the db pad adjustment and the limiter.

The difference between the DDJ-SX and The DDJ-SZ is the SX is only a controller, mixes are internally processed by Virtual DJ via the master out while the DDJ-SZ is an external mixer and mixes are performed via analog mixer (i think). It seems that the direct outputs from the deck to channel strip of external mixer are to hot and distort with songs that are recorded loud and there is no way for me to turn it down or prevent distortion via VDJ limiter. Gain and volume adjusts reduces the volume while keeping the distorted sound.

If I assign a master output to channel 1 DDJ-SZ for example the distortion goes away even if the db setting is zero. If I output deck 1 to the main output of DDJ-sx I get digital distortion in that board as well. Please confirm if direct deck out to external mixer are un processed.

If my findings are correct and the deck outputs are unprotected by limiters or db pad could you make the db pad setting and limiter setting in options a global function that affects all outputs including headphones rather than just the main master mix?

Thank you.

Posted Mon 04 Aug 14 @ 10:45 pm
61%