Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: First impressions - Page: 20

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

dj-in-norway wrote :

super easy to add own icons

Info please (no mention of this in the manual). How do you add? What size/format is required? Where/how do they get stored?

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 6:45 am
Well second impressions, karaoke doesn't work... just static screen, videos are jerky as hell (hd) and yes skins crash. So tonight im gonna format laptop
reinstall all latest drivers and then reinstall this. Really it does feel like a really early beta. I really hope this is farrrrrr from the finished product lol. As for now
Im sticking with vdj7.4. It just works !!!!

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 6:47 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
cj-jan wrote :

[*]i can not disable the "Live Feedback" which i don't like

There is an option to disable this by going to browser options (small 'dot' at the bottom left), root elements and deselect live feedback, however even after disabling the live feedback bar still shows and still updates. Must be a bug.

Personally I'd rather the software didn't go online at all, it certainly doesn't when I play out. But by enabling "internetdontconnect" I'm informed that "most features wont be available" how very nice :(.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 6:51 am
groovindj wrote :

How do you add? What size/format is required? Where/how do they get stored?

For samples in the sampler editor, can be any normal image file but a transparent white png looks best I think.
It uses the image location on your drive

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 6:53 am
bagpuss wrote :
[quote=cj-jan]
But by enabling "internetdontconnect" I'm informed that "most features wont be available" how very nice :(.

not so, dont have to be online for features to work of course.. with the exception naturally of online features such as Content Unlimited, Netsearch, LiveFeedback and Cloudlist.

You only need to be online once, to activate the software (and if you cant for some reason do this we can provide a fix for that)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 6:55 am
bagpuss wrote :
however even after disabling the live feedback bar still shows and still updates. Must be a bug.

That option is for not displaying a LiveFeedback folder in the folders window, not for turning off the text in the browser window.

I agree that there needs to be a way of stopping the pop-up information though.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 6:56 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
dj-in-norway wrote :

not so, dont have to be online for features to work of course..

In options the tool tip says exactly this "most features wont be available" so perhaps that needs modifying, I thought it was unlikely but that's what it says, from the horses mouth.

@ Groovindj,

Good point, I assumed the option was designed to disable both. The software does feel like its been designed to be used online with features like that and a lot of background operations using the net. Call me old fashioned but I prefer my gig machine to be offline all the time, I'm online all week before the gig to update my content etc, if I haven't got a record it's not getting played.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:04 am
its like having a GPS in your car, you dont have to use it of course ;) old fashioned road map on paper works too..

The online features will first of all not even work, or provide "annoying" live tips, if your gig pc is not online, so all the turn off you talk about is not needed ;) (but sure could still be a disable feature for live feedback if you turn it off in browser, or in options)

And you can use VDJ fine of course without taking advantage of modern online ways, such as Cloudlists, online content subscription etc.
Works just fine without ;)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:12 am
dj-in-norway wrote :
can be any normal image file

I just found a waveform PNG online, saved it locally and dragged it to a sample pad.

Now I just have a dark blue square on the pad (not the image) and the sample has gone. The name on the pad is now the image, not the sample.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:17 am
in sample editor ;) not drag to sample slots, thats for "playing" an image file as "video" sampler.. so to speak (shows on video out)

In sample editor click the icon box, to change icon

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:18 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Add a sample, then go into the sample editor - you change the image using the little square on the top left.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:20 am
Ah, beaten to it. What djinnorway said!

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:21 am
all good ;) hehe

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:22 am
dj-in-norway wrote :
click the icon box, to change icon

OK, I'm looking.....

Oh, the small square to the left of the sample name. Would be nice to label it. Have some text there, or a tooltip that tells you what it is.

(this is why I asked for info/instructions. It's not easy to work out how to do it.)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:27 am
yeah true.. maybe should be something ;) but yes.. the icon box there ;)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:30 am
I have now reached iconic status. :-)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:36 am
Oh and you can change the name on the pad as well, you don't have to use the filename on the sample itself if you prefer...

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:40 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
groovindj wrote :
I have now reached iconic status. :-)

Glad we could icon it out ;)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:41 am
Where are the images which are used for the supplied samples? Are they embedded in the vdjsample file?

There doesn't seem to be a way of using those images on your own samples. Might be nice to supply a few ready made ones for people to use.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:52 am
some are.. loop, one shot, any sample with the word drum, etc.. should pick up a stock icon..
But maybe we can even host some icon packs for download from site.. ;)

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 7:56 am
53%