Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Hard Drive Sleeping

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Would it be possible to add an option browser/database to prevent hard drives from sleeping?

Yes we can install tools like NoSleepHD, but we only need the capability when we are DJing. Not all the time.

We could choose which drives we want to keep awake and the setting could be written to the database. That way the setting travels from machine to machine.

Plus it's one less tool that could interfere with latency/performance etc.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Sun 23 Feb 14 @ 3:01 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Set windows to do it, control panel>power options>advanced power options.

Posted Sun 23 Feb 14 @ 3:45 pm
Doesn't always work with external USB hard drives. That's why there are tools like NoSleepHD and why it has been discussed at length here, the VDJ FB page and on the VDJ YouTube channel...

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Sun 23 Feb 14 @ 4:05 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
There is a windows registry fix

blogs.msdn.c o m/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/01/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-drive-disappears-or-file-transfers-stop-unexpectedly-r-a-post-title.aspx

I can't post links so remove the spaces from . c o m

Posted Mon 24 Feb 14 @ 9:40 am
You can do this with ease.. It is in the control pannel then to the device managers and then open it to show devices. then click on the ubs and click property and then go to power setting and select the check mark and remove it for usb sleep, your done..

Posted Thu 27 Feb 14 @ 7:15 pm
DJ_SVOPRO InfinityMember since 2006

Posted Thu 27 Feb 14 @ 7:27 pm
Missng the point again. Yes there are a bunch of utilities out there. But I only want my hard drives kept awake while DJing.

Plus external utilities can play havoc with latency.

Having the option to do it from within VDJ would ne perfect.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Fri 28 Feb 14 @ 3:07 am
tycoonentertainmentcanada wrote :
You can do this with ease.. It is in the control pannel then to the device managers and then open it to show devices. then click on the ubs and click property and then go to power setting and select the check mark and remove it for usb sleep, your done..

So should be easyvto add to VDJ when it starts and can be reset when you close...

Point being I don't have hack my regisry.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Fri 28 Feb 14 @ 3:10 am
I have to agree with Roy here.

80%+ of the suggestions that appear here are probably possible with an addon, a pluigin, a skin, another piece of software. But sometimes we want things to be "automatic" with no additional download and nothing to worry about. Switch something on and leave it be in the background.

Have to see whether V8 brings anything like this with it.

Posted Fri 28 Feb 14 @ 7:26 am
DJ_SVOPRO InfinityMember since 2006
The utility I posted about is only used with VDJ. You just set the time for it to spin the drive (I have it @5 minutes) and forget about it. It hasn't caused any problems running while playing videos and music from my external drives. Once the gig is over it's turned off and that's it.

Posted Fri 28 Feb 14 @ 2:53 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I had a plugin I created that automatically started/stopped with VDJ that did this... ;)

Posted Fri 28 Feb 14 @ 3:34 pm
had a plugin ??

;)

Posted Fri 28 Feb 14 @ 3:55 pm
SBDJ wrote :
I had a plugin I created that automatically started/stopped with VDJ that did this... ;)

The only other acceptable response I was waiting for...

Care to unearth it Scott?

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Fri 28 Feb 14 @ 6:46 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Shouldn't be a problem :-)

Posted Fri 28 Feb 14 @ 7:20 pm
djBAVPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hey Scott,
Just switching over to external drives, so this will be perfect!
Thank you.

Posted Sat 10 May 14 @ 11:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)