Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VMS 4 and Channels not lining up properly

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a strange problem and was wondering if anyone else had seen it.

I spent several hours on the chat support with no resolution. I'm at the point where I may have to just return it.

When I launch Virtual DJ and use it, the channels on my VMS line up as follows:
Channel 1 on the mixer moves 3 in the software
Channel 2 on the mixer moves 1 in the software
Channel 3 on the mixer moves 2 in the software
Channel 4 on the mixer moves 4 in the software

Playback
Deck 1 is channel 1 on the VMS
Deck 2 is channel 2 on the VMS

I've been told by Virtual DJ support staff that this is not right, and that with the model and software that I have, they should be lined up and that the decks should be channels 2 and 3

I've been told several times by support that it's not working right but that the only solution is to purchase the pro version.

Has anyone seen this problem? Better yet. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Posted Fri 21 Jun 13 @ 11:53 am
My brother and a couple other people I know convinced me that I was over-reacting and to just "suck it up" and buy the pro version.

Low and behold, I'm still having the problem.

Posted Sat 22 Jun 13 @ 3:52 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Pages 17 & 18 of the American Audio VMS4 manual explains how to set the Audio Configuration of the VMS4 drivers.
Link to the manual - http://www.adjaudio.com/pdffiles/vms4.pdf

For a 4 deck audio configuration (8-out audio configuration) change the MIDILog output to match the following:

Channel Grp ~~~ Left Ch ~~~ Right Ch
MIDILog 1 ~~~ Out 5 ~~~ Out 6
MIDILog 2 ~~~ Out 1 ~~~ Out 2
MIDILog 3 ~~~ Out 3 ~~~ Out 4
MIDILog 4 ~~~ Out 7 ~~~ Out 8

Now the mapping will match.

Btw, if you are only running 2 decks then your audio configuration switch (on the front of the console) should only be on 4-out not 8-out. 8-out is only necessary if you are running 4 decks.

In 4-out the default audio routing is MIDILogs 2 & 3 are Decks 1 & 2 respectively - which matches the mapping.

Posted Sun 23 Jun 13 @ 12:22 pm
Thanks for that. I did play with that for a while. but things never seemed to work out.

In the end the channel issue was actually caused by the mappers being out of whack.

I adjusted them and everything is working on the channel side (functionality that was exposed when I upgraded to Pro). I'm not sure why they are wrong in the first place... (I had the same experience on 3 different computers.)

Since I've fixed that, a new problem has reared it's ugly head.

I can't cue channel 1. The cue problem was launching the program in "safe mode" (i was trying to see if that removed the cue "pop" that i get from time to time. The channel not playing through the cue only happened when safe mode was set, and the program was closed and then reopened.

... Now I can't cue anything

I'd also like deck 1 to be channel 2 and deck 2 to be channel 3. But I'll get there eventually...

Posted Sun 23 Jun 13 @ 12:48 pm
It *sounds* like everything is functioning "properly" now.

What I just did is...

1. reset all settings to default
  2. uninstalled everything that had anything to do with virtual dj
  3. scoured my hard drive and deleted everything i could find related to virtual dj
  4. cracked open my registry editor and dug through and deleted everything i could find related to vdj
  5. re installed vdj pro
  6. reconfigured the "sound" tab in the config window (inputs: none, outputs: external mixer, sound card: vms)
  7. went in to the mappers tab in the config window and remapped everything (again) so that they line up properly (i can't seem to find "gain" though.)
  8. run some tests...

Posted Sun 23 Jun 13 @ 1:34 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
After step 6 if you would have done what i posted then you would not have needed to remap everything. The mapping is designed to match the audio configuration i gave you. If you want something different then you have to go through and remap everything to your liking. Which is your choice.

Posted Sun 23 Jun 13 @ 2:53 pm
cstoll wrote :
After step 6 if you would have done what i posted then you would not have needed to remap everything. The mapping is designed to match the audio configuration i gave you. If you want something different then you have to go through and remap everything to your liking. Which is your choice.

I see what you're saying with that now. The strange thing is that until I found the problem, I never messed with the ASIO settings at all.

I may go back and redo it so that it's all default and see if that resolves the issue where at some point my ability to listen to my cue channels just "stops" working. as soon as i posted this, i found my problem... it was *my* problem...

Thanks for your help

Posted Sun 23 Jun 13 @ 3:15 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
joshu.duncan wrote :

Please open your asio control panel and check either you have a 0 or 1 as leading digit in the upper left corner next to the text vms4

If there is a 1 you needn't read the rest otherwise I recommend you to read it..

If there is a 0 that means your vms is running in pre eq mode.
There are 2:

0 = pre eq mode
1 = post eq mode

In the pre eq mode the vms mixer section acts as a "normal" analog mixer. Meaning that the sound is mixed and modulated IN the vms.
In the post eq mode the vms behaves like a pure midi device. Mixing the sound is then up to the software.

Now the point:
If you use the mapping like in the first picture vdj and the vms will do sound operations what will double up the effect of EQ or volume faders. This could, and may, lead to bad and/or distorted sound.

Therefore it is recommended to use the "fake" commands. Just add a "fake_" infront of the current mapping commands.

E.g: fake_eq_low, fake_eq_mid, deck 1 fake_volume etc....

With this fake commands vdj will do nothing to the sound, but you still get an optical feedback which knob or fader you are using.
In other words, everything is still moving on the screen if you push sth. on the vms.

I hope you get what I want to say, as this is a shorter version of the text I was writing at first but somehow lost it :/
Btw. that whole pre-eq and post-eq things are also written in the manual (vms) if you want to look it up.

Posted Mon 24 Jun 13 @ 9:57 am
Thanks for the "fake_" tip. That would explain a couple issues that I've heard.

Now if I can just figure out the damn "pop" that happens when I load tracks sometimes.

Posted Tue 25 Jun 13 @ 5:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)