Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Advice Needed Please

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi I recently agreed to be a presenter on an internet radio show and will broadcast this from home using my HP workstation (Win 7 professional).

I have just downloaded the VitualDJ free version to have a look at it and get a feel for it as I plan to us solely mp3's from my pc on the show.

Being new to this software I would be really grateful for some advice on the following questions.

Firstly is it worth upgrading to the professional version? I have used AtomixMP3 in the past and the lazy side of me actually liked the auto mix button, does the pro version have anything similar to this?

The other concern is cuing using headphones, I have seen that the Numark DJIO interface may work for splitting the channels - is this correct?

The other option I was thinking of is to setup a mixer and run my sound through that into the lineout of the computer but the issue on my mind again is I would only be using one channel on the mixer and therefore lose the cueing option.

Hopefully this makes sense although I've even confused myself writing this !!

Many thanks in advance for any replies and advice offered.

Paul

Posted Mon 13 May 13 @ 2:46 pm
To answer a few of your ?s

yes it does have automix, you can make a play list and it will automix, you can even automix between the left and right decks if configured properly.

probably the best solution (as it sounds like your wanting to also purchase/use a seperate audio card) is to buy a VDJ native controller with a built in sound card, then you can use the headphone port on the unit to prelisten to tracks through the headphones if you need to, and most of those controllers come with either RCA/XLR outs, possibly even inputs for mics, or other external devices. Also if you purchase a controller that comes with the LE version of VDJ you can then upgrade to PRO at a discounted rate. Overall saving you money in the long run.

if you choose not purchase a controller, you will still need another sound card (like a usb card for a laptop) that way one can be used for cueing and the other is used for main sound output. as far as MIC usage your kind of limited on how nice of a mic you can use with the default sound card mic input via 3.5mm adapters unless you purchased a USB mic which might be costly (i haven't actually priced any). then you'll need 3.5mm stereo out to RCA or 1/4 depending on how your hooking up your outputs. yadda yadda $$ talk.

you can get a good controller with VDJ LE for around $200-300 USD, then more then likely the upgrade is $150 to PRO depending on the controller

good luck

Posted Mon 13 May 13 @ 4:06 pm
Hi many thanks for taking the time to reply - so if I'm right basically your saying I should get a controller + the pro software so assuming I have this is it just a case of plugging the controller to my lineout on the computer and away we go ! ? as if it would be that easy me thinks !! I do have a Behringer pro mixer in the garage would this be useful in the set up?

Also re the Automix - I understand what you mean by the play lists bit but what would I need to configure to do it with deck A to B and visa versa ?

Thanks again for any advice

Paul

Posted Mon 13 May 13 @ 4:46 pm
If you get a controller that has a decent sound card built it, it will have mic input (maybe even 2), rca/xlr master output, and a headphone jack for cueing. and it will plug in to your computer via USB and run either strictly off USB or with a powerpack if it needs extra/more power to run.

either way, you won't need to use ANY of your built in sound card/audio ports if you buy the right controller. plus you'll have functions at your finger tips, vs having to click and drag a moust around or use a keyboard.

Most native VDJ controllers come with an LE version which you can register on THIS website and download the lastest version to keep up to date. you might be able to get the functionallity your wanting from JUST the LE version to be honest. but I'd still advise upgrading to PRO.

i think automix currently only mixes out of the playlist you create by adding tracks to it once you enable automix, to have it go from deck A to B you would have to edit something in the software as far as i've read

Posted Mon 13 May 13 @ 6:58 pm
Hi thanks again that all makes perfect sense - I've gone for a Pioneer DDJ Ergo K controller as it seems to have everything I need on it plus I liked Pioneer gear ! I will go for the pro version of VDJ once I have installed the LE.

Thanks for your help on this much appriciated

Posted Tue 14 May 13 @ 4:51 am
The Pioneer DDJ-Ergo K normally comes with Traktor LE not VirtualDJ LE (The Ergo V version comes with VirtualDJ LE.)

To be able to use this with VirtualDJ, you will need to purchase the full VirtualDJ Professional.

With the Ergo V, you can just upgrade from VirtualDJ LE which can be upgraded to the full VirtualDJ Pro.

Posted Tue 14 May 13 @ 6:38 am
Hi thanks for the info - I must of mis-read the spec on the suppliers site. Im more than happy to just buy the Pro version of VDJ as I've been playing around with the Home version and really like the feel of it - I've looked at Traktor and Serato software and appreciate it is and looks good but it's a bit too complicated for me !

As per the other replies on this thread do you know if there is a way to get it to work like AutmixMP3 on the decks rather than just a playlist? or point me in the right direction to find information on this?

Many thanks again Paul

Posted Tue 14 May 13 @ 8:06 am

Posted Tue 14 May 13 @ 1:31 pm
Hi there....

I'm having problems with my set up i wonder if anyone can help me plse i have a American Audio Versadeck i have no sound coming from my controller and also when i go into config all i get is trial version and upgrade version i havn't any skins or audio choices? i have already downloaded the latest version of vdj LE also my cross fader and voulme buttons don't work on screen can anyone tell me what is going on plse thank you...........

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 3:49 am
Please do not hijack topics by posting a message or question that is not related in any way.

Your question has nothing to do with presenting an Internet radio show and broadcasting, which this topic is about.

Please open your own new topic by clicking on the pen and paper icon at the top of the main forum topic list page.

Also, please do not post the same message more than once. It will not get you a quicker reply.

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 5:24 am
sorry im new to this......

Posted Wed 15 May 13 @ 6:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)