Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Laptop froze/Locked up

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, On saturday night I was doing a 40th and everything was going well it was early on then all of a sudden my laptop and vdj7 locked up! the music had stopped and nothing was working on laptop, no keys or mouse, so I quickly plugged my phone in and started a 80's mix. Nobody bothered luckily so after I restarted the laptop I started again then bang about 40 min later it done the same thing again!! This time a girl noticed and came up and asked for the previous song back on but seamed genuinely concerned when I explained lol. After that restart it worked perfect all night but I was on edge all night and wondered whether to set up other laptop but didnt need too. Ive ran the laptop a few hours solid this week and its never missed a beat!

My laptop is a 6 month old samsung a8 quad core with 6 gig of ram. windows 7, vdj 7.3. Hercules RMX

Any ideas?

Cheers

Posted Wed 24 Apr 13 @ 9:12 am
do you have AV on your computer? if so maybe it started to scan or another presses could have started to run in the background?

Posted Wed 24 Apr 13 @ 9:52 am
No I don't have av on it I use it for dj only.

Cheers

Posted Wed 24 Apr 13 @ 9:54 am
If the laptop froze altogether then this may be a hardware issue.

It could be overheating. Make sure that the cooling fan(s) are still operational, the vents are free from dust and you allow plenty of room around the laptop to allow adequate ventilation. Using a laptop stand and/or cooler should also help considerably.

Please also see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Performance%20Issues.html

Also, when performing live at a gig, always make sure that you have a backup system ready to go - Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Do%20I%20need%20a%20backup%20system%20on%20stand-by.html

Posted Wed 24 Apr 13 @ 10:49 am
Have you thought about the power your plugged into? I tend to rest a little easier these days using a battery back-up at every gig.

Posted Wed 24 Apr 13 @ 3:59 pm
Possible Bad USB cord. Possible latency issue. Run latency checker. Also on your Hercules control panel what is your latency set at?

Posted Wed 24 Apr 13 @ 8:36 pm
I'll check those and post them

Posted Thu 25 Apr 13 @ 2:16 am
hipfanPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Try using a powered usb and plug your controller into that.I had the sam issue,used the powered usb for my RMX and no issues since.

Posted Thu 25 Apr 13 @ 7:03 am
I've now ran the laptop a few hours every day this week along with disk check, latency checker, memtest 86, ccleaner and all seems fine. i already changed power/usb settings to do not turn off. There's no unwanted bloatware or anti-virus installed as it never connects to the internet.

I'm putting it down to a crash and moving on, I'll have a back up ready to go and hope for the best.
I will look into getting a powered usb hub

Thanks to all

Posted Thu 25 Apr 13 @ 8:56 am
DJAVIPPRO (OEM)Member since 2016
Dont connect your hardware to a usb3.0 in your laptop

Posted Thu 25 Apr 13 @ 4:58 pm
DJ SWID wrote :
Dont connect your hardware to a usb3.0 in your laptop

No it's through a usb 2.0

Cheers

Posted Fri 26 Apr 13 @ 2:53 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)