Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Database issues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a few questions about the database in VDJ.

For starters, I'm running VDJ Pro 7.3 on a Win 7 64-bit laptop, but also DJ at a club that is still on VDJ Pro 6.x (no internet connection for the club's PC to update the version).

I have an external hard drive that I use to transport my music library when DJ'ing (~55,000 tracks). Why do some tracks in this library always not show up when searching until I right-click the 'My Music' folder and 'Add to search database' yet again?

Eg. When I type in M.I.A. for instance, while looking for songs by M.I.A., some of the songs don't show up even though I know they're there on the hard drive.

This has happened on both my personal laptop as well as the club's Music PC at one of the clubs I DJ at. I have to click 'Add To Search Database' EVERY SINGLE TIME, to ensure that all the songs on my drive are searchable.

And to clarify, the external drive is a backup of all the songs I have on my laptop's Media F: drive (my laptop has 3 hard drives). In the particular example I mentioned above, one of the M.I.A. songs called 'Bad Girls' will not show up when I search for it on my laptop, even though it's on the laptop's internal F: drive that is permanently installed in the laptop. I have to right click the 'My Music' folder and 'Add to search database' EVERY TIME I open VDJ to be able to find that song in a Search. If I shut VDJ down and shut the laptop down, I'll have to right-click the 'My Music' folder and click 'Add to search database' again when opening VDJ another time, to be able to search and find that song (and it's not the only one, there are a number of songs that disappear from the searchable database after shutting VDJ down).

Again, I'm using VDJ 7.3 Pro on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop and the club is running VDJ Pro version 6 or something. BTW, I don't dare update the version on the club's PC because I discovered some time ago, that updating the version of VDJ meant that the databases of libraries in external hard drives that AREN'T connected at the time of updating don't get updated, and I'm not the only DJ who uses the club's PC and hooks up an external drive to it. The last time this happened, I found that I could change the name of the local VDJ database to what ever the newer version labelled it, and it would work, but I don't know if the other DJs at the club will figure that out.

Anyway, is there some setting I'm missing (already have the 'Add Automatically' set in the Config Browser) that won't require performing the 'Add to search database' every time I open VDJ on my laptop, or every time I connect the external to the club's PC?

Might it have anything to do with how many tracks are in a single folder? I have 6000+ individual tracks in the 'My Music' folder with the other ~49,000 in folders separated by artist and album, nested in the main My Music folder.

Max

Posted Fri 11 Jan 13 @ 5:45 am
Anyone have any ideas?

Max

Posted Wed 16 Jan 13 @ 8:26 am
let me tqake a stb at it.

Maybe its an issue with RIGHTS. Make sure take ownership on the external drive and give that a try.. Seemes to me that youcan't write the XML (database) on the root of the f:drive.

Posted Wed 16 Jan 13 @ 2:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)