Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Support Wav & AIFF files & Tags

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Simple enough -- a PRO DJ should use Pro files!!

Posted Tue 08 Jan 13 @ 4:28 pm
WAV files do NOT have standard tags. This is a limitation of the file format itself.
I believe the same rule applies on AIFF files too.

VirtualDJ supports many Database Fields regardless of the file format. Just right click on a file, select File Info and fill in the info you need.
The info you fill in will be stored on the VirtualDJ's internal database.

Asking VirtualDJ to add tags to WAV files is like asking Honda to change the fuel specs of Shell ;)

Posted Wed 09 Jan 13 @ 4:07 am
There is a format called Broadcast WAV (BWAV or BWF) that has tags.

It's not exactly supported by your typical consumer (or DJ) equipment though.

see here

Posted Wed 09 Jan 13 @ 5:49 am
The point is to support a file format "as it is"
WAV files (as any other file) can be tagged. Even with id3tags!!! However a third-party app will never expect to meet the tags (since the file format does not have them) and it will interpet it as wrong/false/corrupted data!

For DJ usage I would reccomend the usage of FLAC files to anyone that's that much conserned about audio quality.
They are compressed files using a LOSELESS algorithm, they are supported by a majority of apps, and they support tags!
Also their file standarization is owned by the public domain. In other words you don't need any "special" license to use the file format.

Most people don't actually know it, but your typical MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer III & MPEG-2 Audio Layer III) file has copyright holders!
The most know company is Technicolor (formerly called Thomson Consumer Electronics) and the Fraunhofer Institute itself!!!

Posted Wed 09 Jan 13 @ 6:52 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
You can just import from "file name" in VDJ and get all your information in the right field in VDJ database providing your have the right naming format in your file name, Example (Artist - Title - Trk/Disc Number)... You could Rename your "File Names" properly using Mp3Tag or Tag&Rename, once done then use VDJ to Import from "File Names".... Globally from your browser, highlight and choose the option...

Posted Thu 10 Jan 13 @ 9:15 pm
kafcoHome userMember since 2014
"The point is to support a file format "as it is"
WAV files (as any other file) can be tagged. Even with id3tags!!! However a third-party app will never expect to meet the tags (since the file format does not have them) and it will interpet it as wrong/false/corrupted data!"

There are many third-party programs that support WAV tags. (see at http://wavmetadata.blogspot.com/ ) However, there are several different tag types . The original WAV spec defined a standard way to add tags. Programs that don't recognize WAV tags ignore them. (unless they are badly written)

Posted Thu 09 Oct 14 @ 12:28 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I know this is an older topic, but does anyone know of a good way to tag AIFF files to read in VDJ? I have a bunch of Beatport stuff and don't want to globally get information from file name.

Posted Mon 01 Dec 14 @ 8:42 am
Well, some digging on this subject in the past 24 hours turns up this. All my AIFF files currently do have fully populated Metadata. Mixed In Key can even write to them too. Long story short, it is only VDJ that can't read the AIFF metadata.

Not going to use FLAC because it is not supported in iTunes. So I can't organize those tracks into my iTunes playlists. ALAC is at least a compatible lossles compression. But compression is compression, FLAC and ALAC is still compressed even if it is lossless. These are my scratch sentences and some other special tracks. So I want uncompressed to reduce PC workload in attempts to reduce latency / drift.

Last, the previous posts (myself included) were wrong about global get info from file name. Because VDJ can't get the AIFF metadata, it will take the file name without selecting anything globally. Just format the .WAV or .AIF file name as "Artist - Title" and VDJ at least will fill out the Artist and Title. VDJ will leave out remixer title information between brackets " ( ) ", so you can leave that out of the file names. Then at least your searches will work on these types of files after potentially unknowingly erasing your tag data in the VDJ database during a library "Reload Tags"...

But AIFF is pro quality uncompressed with metadata support.

Why not get behind it? Beatport is

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 8:37 am
If VDJ 8 can play the files but not read the metadata, report it in the bug forum. :-)

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 8:42 am
Not really a bug for 8 though. It never worked in 7 either. Because I still use 7 out in public, I am doing twice the work and manually re entering data in 7 and 8. This just is super annoying more than anything else.

Not to mention the potential of erasing data during a rescan. So you may end up with bad searches.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 8:55 am
Judging by last years post (above) it sounds like a licensing issue.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 8:58 am
OK so it's an old bug!

Not quite as bad as Microsoft's recent 19 year old one, but still - if VDJ plays the files but doesn't read the data then IMO that's not right.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 8:59 am
lol, still sound like a wishes and new features to me. But wanted to stick with the existing thread.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 14 @ 9:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)