Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Four Deck Mode - No Output Channels 3&4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ClayDJPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I have two Denon 5500's and VDJ 7.3.
The Denon 5500 controller has two stereo outputs.

When I use the 2 player skin, everything works fine;
Controller deck 1 will play out of it's own stereo 1&2 outputs, and it will also play controller 2's output out of it's own stereo 3&4 output.

When I switch to any of the 4 deck skins, I am now unable to hear any sound out of the 3&4 outputs on any of the two controllers. Any audio that is programmed to output on channels 3&4 of it's respective controller will only be heard on it's channels 1&2.

Yes, I have followed this guide:
http://www.virtualdj.com/images/pdf/VirtualDJ%207%20-%20Audio%20Setup%20Guide.pdf
with no luck.
I have also altered the deck assignments within the mapper section with no luck.

It must be an issue within VDJ since it works fine in one mode (2 deck skin), but not another mode (4 deck skin).

Any ideas on what I may be missing, or what's wrong??

Thanks in advance,
Clay

Posted Fri 21 Dec 12 @ 6:27 pm
VDJ doesn't play nice with the 5500s.

I have a pair myself and (AFAIK) they've never worked 100% with VDJ since Atomix added support for >2 decks.

It is possible to set up VDJ so that each 5500 layer has a separate output. I've done it myself and posted the method on the Denon forum (and possibly here, I can't recall) but then there's an issue with the motorised platters causing audible warbling.

Here's my original Denon forum post:
Quote :

It wasn't easy to figure it all out, as there are several things to set, and they're in different places - both in VDJ and on the HS5500s.

This is how I did it:
Set both 5500s to MIDI 1&2 but set one as Unit Number 1 and the other as Unit number 2 (all done on the 5500s).

In the Denon ASIO util, make sure both your 5500s show up, as unit 1 and unit 2, and enable both of them.

Start VDJ and check that both your 5500s display the 'twin deck' screen layout.

Using a four deck skin, open config and under the sound setup tab, select the outputs option and choose advanced config.

Depending on what's shown, you may need to add decks here. Set it up so that it displays a list of four things - deck one, two, three and four. From the sound card options you should see Denon ASIO but also two options called 'speaker HS5500' or similar.

You may find that selecting Denon ASIO only shows you 'outputs 1&2' as options, so what you need to do is choose the 'speaker HS5500' option, which then displays outputs 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 and 7&8. Choose the first 'speaker' for decks one and two, and the second for three and four.

Set each deck to output on its own individual pair.

Back on the mapper tab, click on the square 'mappers options' button and you should see a menu choice called 'deck assign', which tells VDJ which on-screen deck you want your 5500s to control. Set one 5500 to control decks 1&2 and the other to control 3&4.

At this point you should have individual control of the four VDJ players by using all four layers of the 5500s.

If the sound is still not routing correctly to your four separate mixer channels, you may need to switch the output assignments back to 'Denon ASIO' in advanced sound config. Despite it displaying as only outputting to 1&2, you should find it routes the audio to all four stereo outs

See how you get on with that.

Posted Fri 21 Dec 12 @ 7:00 pm
Thanks for your input GroovinDJ!
I followed your instructions with no luck. Still no output from channels 3&4 on either 5500 deck.

Atomix Staff: Any input, advice, or recommendations on how to get output out of channels 3&4 on the Denon 5500's when using the 4 deck skins? Unless you know of an immediate solution to help the Community, I will put in for a trouble ticket...

Thanks,
ClayDJ

Posted Sun 23 Dec 12 @ 7:56 am
By the way;

I am using Windows 7, i5, HP G62, 4GB RAM

I did try all previous versions of VDJ with the 4 deck skins and GroovinDJ is correct, there is no channel 3 or 4 support on the Denon 5500.

Clay

Posted Sun 23 Dec 12 @ 8:02 am
It may be OS related related then, as I'm pretty sure that config was done under XP.

Unfortunately I can't try with Windows 7 as I've recently upgraded my W7 laptop to Windows 8.

I could give it a go with Windows 8....

Posted Sun 23 Dec 12 @ 10:33 am
I would consider it VDJ related issue since there is no 5500 channel 3&4 audio output out of neither OS (Windows XP nor 7), but yet both OS's works fine in the two deck mode.

Please let us know if you get any output from the 5500 channels 3/4 on Windows 8.

Happy Holidays and Thanks,
Clay

Posted Sun 23 Dec 12 @ 2:26 pm
Well I know it worked OK when I wrote that walk-through I qouted above - with XP and whatever version of VDJ was current at that time.

I haven't tried to do it since, so maybe a VDJ update has broken it.

Posted Mon 24 Dec 12 @ 6:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)