Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Beginner guide to using Virtual Dj - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

HI Guys!!
Ok so Ive NEVER EVER EVER used Virtual Dj or any Dj programs what so ever... I want to use it for personal use, for a bit of fun! but have no idea what to do or even where to start!
Could anyone help? Try keep it simple as possible if you can (I dont want to confuse myself...its easily done lol)
Thank you :) B

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 3:26 pm
OK have you ever done any DJing?

Do you know the concept of what a DJ does with two players and a mixer?

Posted Thu 04 Oct 12 @ 5:32 pm
No never done any djing at all! So the whole 'Dj' concept thing is all new to me!

Lots of people I know where I use to live are Dj's and I alway think to myself how amazing they are and how I wish i could do somethiing like that! So I sort of figured why not...it could be an interesting thing to learn to do and I could just play around with it when I wanted to. :)

Posted Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 2:41 am
OK here we go:

What you have on the VDJ screen is a graphic representation of a typical DJ setup. Two decks/players, an audio mixer for combining the outputs of those two players, and below everything a browser - the "record box" where the DJ can search and see the songs in the collection.

The idea is simple. Pick a song, load it to a player (either one) and press play.

Once that song is playing, choose another one and load it to the other player.

Now comes the part that's different to just using an iPod or playing a CD at home.

The songs can only be heard from the output when the volume fader on that side of the mixer is raised. When the fader's lowered, the song won't play from the speakers but the DJ can still listen to it (pre-listen or cue) when the cue button is pressed, via headphones.

The idea of cueing is to get the song to a position at which you'd like to start it playing. Maybe on the first beat, after a quiet intro. Maybe on the start of a musical riff etc.

Once it's cued, you can raise the volume on that side and get ready to hit play when you feel it's time.

You can either wait until the previous song starts to fade, or you can fade it yourself - slightly before playing the next song, or at the same time, or even once the new song is playing - this is where the feel comes in. It's your decision, rather than having to follow a rule.

So that's the sequence. Load a song. Play a song. Load the next one, cue it. Swap from the first to the second. Repeat!

FYI in order to cue (listen to a song in headphones) while another song is playing, you'll need two stereo sound cards or one multi-channel card.

Posted Fri 05 Oct 12 @ 3:32 am
Been playing around on it quickly after reading this! Obviously will need to just keep playing till I get the hang of it!

Thank you so much for putting it in simple terms for me! This info help a LOT!

B :)

Posted Sun 07 Oct 12 @ 11:27 am
I wanna make a Professional VIDEO MIX,teach me how to use VIDEO TRANSITION,Please!!!
Dj I

Posted Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 5:55 pm
HI,

I'm and old school dj from the days of technics1210's and early house records. Anyway I've been given Virtual DJ as a gift and I've enjoyed playing around with it. My only issues are loading songs into the record box. I can transfer songs that I've put onto my Mac from cd's etc onto the the deck, but songs that are from ITUNES won't open or go onto deck. Any advice?

Posted Mon 10 Dec 12 @ 10:51 am

Posted Mon 10 Dec 12 @ 1:25 pm
I think I'm getting the hang of it overall i've been experimenting and I shared my first couple mixes with freinds and family. I'm improving ,but there's a voice in the back the of my head that says "You're doing a good job,but you could be better. Maybe when I feel more confident I'll dj a little in second Life.

If you're an avatar look around for Grease Coakes I might be djing soon maybe in the next few days to a week.

Posted Mon 10 Dec 12 @ 3:13 pm
grease711 wrote :
"You're doing a good job,but you could be better

Personaly I think thats what drives every DJ doing mix cd's and Remix's. I had my boss tell me "I think you've missed your calling" and I had to disagree because I think there is no age limit on music and the only limitations you have are the ones you put on yourself.

Posted Thu 27 Dec 12 @ 2:54 pm
i sooo love house music, but i dont know how to use virtualdj help me pleaseee

Posted Sun 26 Jan 14 @ 8:07 am
Step one: read the manual.

You could also try reading the posts earlier in this thread.

Posted Sun 26 Jan 14 @ 8:18 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012

Posted Tue 28 Jan 14 @ 1:12 am
IM CAN USE VIRTUAL DJ ITS COOOL

Posted Sun 02 Feb 14 @ 3:51 pm
StrathHome userMember since 2014
Hi, there is any way to Virtual DJ play the songs uninterrupted (automatic) ?
Thanks in advance

Posted Tue 04 Feb 14 @ 12:10 pm
Yes, if you read the manual you will see that there's a playlist feature.

However, this is not available in all versions of VDJ so it depends which version you're using.

Posted Tue 04 Feb 14 @ 12:41 pm
SeniyaHome userMember since 2014
Can someone tell me how to create a drop in a mix

Posted Mon 24 Mar 14 @ 8:59 am
hi there.. groovindj you gave such a beautiful and simple answer... i wanted to PM you but I didnt find where to.
Id like to know.. how do i know i have a two stereo sound cards or one multi-channel card?
I tried making a mix and on my first one, the attempts of putting my second song could be heard... hehe...
thanks for your answer..
love
B

Posted Thu 27 Mar 14 @ 6:49 am
brainkiss wrote :
hi there.. groovindj you gave such a beautiful and simple answer

Thank you.

brainkiss wrote :
i wanted to PM you but I didnt find where to.

You can only PM once you are a registered user. If you have purchased VDJ then simply enter your serial number in your account area.

brainkiss wrote :
how do i know i have a two stereo sound cards or one multi-channel card?

If you use a normal computer bought from a store and you have not added your own professional sound card, then it will be fitted either with a simple stereo output (especially if it's a laptop) or a multi-channel "surround sound" card with different coloured outputs for front, rear etc.

The surround sound type can potentially be used for DJing because it's often possible to assign VDJs cue signal to a different output from the main (master) output.

If you only have a simple stereo output then you'll need to add a second one using either USB headphones or an external audio interface.

Posted Thu 27 Mar 14 @ 9:49 am
hi guys can someone help me how to crop parts of a song please?

Posted Sat 29 Mar 14 @ 4:41 pm
38%