Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: This controller will be awesome if mapped to VDJ8 (Pioneer DDJ-SX) - Page: 11

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

splaoPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Now that everything is working well. Let's go on to the next level. How do we map the ddj-sx to ableton and VDJ at the same time? Can we control both software with this one controller? If this is not possible, how do we just map the ddj-sx to ableton for remixing and use VDJ live for DJing?

Posted Fri 18 Jan 13 @ 9:40 pm
Rnow3PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Is there any way to map the load buttons to load the song and also select the deck that is active on the jog wheels? Right now it loads the song and selects the deck on the skin but not on the controller.

Posted Mon 21 Jan 13 @ 10:53 am
I want to thank Phantomdeejay for his great job and just ordered mine on Saturday and have to wait for 8 weeks. I hope a skin can also be made for this controller.

Posted Mon 21 Jan 13 @ 5:34 pm
Rnow3 wrote :
Is there any way to map the load buttons to load the song and also select the deck that is active on the jog wheels? Right now it loads the song and selects the deck on the skin but not on the controller.

If you're asking to change deck layers when loading songs in a 4 deck setup environment then that's not possible.
The deck layers (deck1 VS deck3 and deck2 VS deck4) are controlled by the hardware of the unit. You can't make them change from inside the software. You have to physically press the deck select buttons.

Posted Tue 22 Jan 13 @ 12:42 am

Posted Tue 22 Jan 13 @ 12:43 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Official mappers are beta tested "in the house" by the Team that develops them.

Does "official" mean that this mapper comes from pioneer? Will the official mapper take advantage of the hybrid mixer in the DDJ SX?

Posted Wed 23 Jan 13 @ 5:36 pm
No. "Official" means that it will come from Atomix.
What do you mean if the mapper will take advantage of the hybrid mixer? Connect other sources (like CD's) and use them at the same time? The current one already does this...
If you mean to route each deck on one channel of the unit and use it as a hardware mixer instead of midi then that's not possible with this unit BY DESIGN. You can only do that if you use a separate 8-out soundcard.

Posted Thu 24 Jan 13 @ 2:17 am
Thank you Phantomdeejay for the great job you did with the mapper,I noticed if you have security checked to always you can still load tracks on one of the decks if it's playing.Is there anyway to lock all the decks,thank you.And could it be possible in any way to toggle between stereo and mono.

Posted Thu 31 Jan 13 @ 2:35 pm
Which deck?
I can't see any reason why security won't work on a specific deck but I will check it out.

As for Mono:
I don't think there's a way... Since you define the sound options to use VirtualDJ's internal mixer there's no command I can think of that would enable MONO output as "Master"

Posted Fri 01 Feb 13 @ 1:40 am
Phantomdeejay thanks for the respond back,the security issue is actually on all decks and I can also exit the program with tracks playing.I'm using 7.3 on 2 macbook pros running mac os.This happens on both computers and only with DDJ-SX if someone else could see if this is happening it would be great,just to make sure it's not just my controller,thank you.

Maybe the stereo / mono toggle could be implemented in VIRTUAL DJ 8.It would come in handy for certain functions,because this is not a hardware function on many of these controllers.Thanks for all your help.

Posted Fri 01 Feb 13 @ 11:23 am
gullumPRO InfinityMember since 2007
with mine if I have securetie alway it loads in an empti deck if there is any if not the song want get loaded in deck is playing and I get a pop up warning if I quite VDJ and I too have a macbook

Posted Fri 01 Feb 13 @ 3:29 pm
Thank you for posting your info,are you using virtual dj 7.3 and is this with controller connected,thanks

Posted Fri 01 Feb 13 @ 4:27 pm
I got it to work,it is controller related, i did a combination of shift and load ant it resolved itself.Have know idea how but something to do with the shift button.I have it working on both computers.If it happens to anyone please post,thanks

Posted Fri 01 Feb 13 @ 5:11 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
No. "Official" means that it will come from Atomix.
What do you mean if the mapper will take advantage of the hybrid mixer? Connect other sources (like CD's) and use them at the same time? The current one already does this...
If you mean to route each deck on one channel of the unit and use it as a hardware mixer instead of midi then that's not possible with this unit BY DESIGN. You can only do that if you use a separate 8-out soundcard.

I think your statement about routing each deck on one channel of the unit and use it as hardware is what I am hoping for in hybrid. I think this what serato dj does... correct? If this is not possible by design, why would they design it that way? Just curious.

I have a djm 900 mixer and use the soundcard in there to mix. It sounds a lot better than the ddj sx. I was hoping I could do the same with the ddj sx and use the filters and EQs of the hardware mixer instead of the internal software mixer

Posted Sat 02 Feb 13 @ 8:17 pm
Hi, the reason for making it a midi mixer by design is simple- money. Doing it this way means they only need 2 'digital to analog converters' ('D/A's for short). The D/A is a physical thing on the circuit board that turns the computer's digital sound signal into an electronic 'sound wave' ready to go to an amp and to the speakers. So, you only need 2: 1 for the main output to the speakers and one for the headphones output. Whereas if you want to use the 'external mixer mode' you would need 4 D/As, one for each input on the mixer. That's why Phantom suggested to someone that if you want to use it as an external mixer you would need to buy a separate 4 channel audio interface.

Also, even if Pioneer could get the D/As cheap enough to include 4, why would they bother? They would just be giving people reasons not to buy their exspensive mixers!

So, obviously, Serato also uses a midi mixer rather than 'hardware', just on theirs it's harder to tell because the sliders and volume meters aren't on screen.

Posted Sun 03 Feb 13 @ 3:25 am
No, even Serato DJ uses the mixer as a MIDI mixer and not as a "real hardware" mixer.
The unit comes with a 4 channel soundcard built-in. Period. It's not possible and it will never be to run 4 decks on the "hardware" side of the mixer without using a separate (external) sound-card.

Posted Mon 04 Feb 13 @ 1:40 am
Hi,Phantomdeejay is it possible to map the ddj-sx so that the jog indicator blinks for so many seconds before the end of the track like the cdj's do?

Posted Wed 06 Feb 13 @ 7:55 pm
I'm not sure.
The JOG's LED is controlled from the device's firmware. VirtualDJ does not have full access on it like a typical led.
It's hard to say if I can make it blink without having a unit to test it...

Posted Thu 07 Feb 13 @ 2:23 am
@Phantom
We can test as usual here if you want. :-)
I have my DDJ-SX beside me.

Posted Thu 07 Feb 13 @ 3:03 am
Hey guys my brother and I are having a problem getting virtual dj to work with the DDJ-sx using a Macbook Pro. We downloaded the new mapper from virtual dj, updated the firmware, put it in other mode, set our sound setting and tried following all the steps and when you start using it nothing works how it should like high mid and low functions don't work or the crossfader ect. If someone is nice enough to give us step by step instructions or some help it would be awesome!

Posted Tue 12 Feb 13 @ 3:50 pm
79%