Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Syncing Playlists folder via DropBox?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

cnymikePRO InfinityMember since 2011
This should be possible but just wanted to ask first.

I use my iMac to create my playlists but ultimately use my MacBook Pro during my gigs. Normally I have to manually transfer or recreate my Playlists that I create on my iMac to my MacBook Pro.

But it occured to me that I could probably use DropBox and that would keep everything in sync.

Is there any reason that wouldn't work? I guess I'd have to create an alias of the Playlists folder in DropBox in place of the normal Playlists directory in VirtualDJ, right?

Michael

Posted Fri 22 Jun 12 @ 10:13 am
cnymikePRO InfinityMember since 2011
I'll answer my own question for other Mac users who want to do this.

Assuming you already have Dropbox installed, you will also need to download and install a little file called Symbolic Link Maker. Once installed it adds a contextual menu item called "Make Symbolic Link."

Copy your current Playlists and/or Tracklisting folders into your Dropbox folder. Confirm that you have identical contents in each of the folders you copied. Once you are sure you've got an exact copy of the original folder, then you can drag the Playlists and/or Tracklisting folders out of your VirtualDJ folder. Put them on the desktop temporarily to make sure everything works.

Next you need to make a symbolic link of the Playlists and/or Tracklisting folders you just copied into Dropbox. Select the Playlists folder and control-click on it. You should see an option to Create a Symbolic Link in the Services sub-menu. When you create the symbolic link, the new folder will be called "Playlist symlink" Once the symlink folder has been created, move it to the VirtualDJ folder and remove the "symlink" and the space, so the folder name is just "Playlists".

Follow the same procedure for "Tracklisting"

Now when you create a new playlist in VirtualDJ it will be saved into the dropbox location rather than the VirtualDJ folder and any other computer you have that is also using the same Dropbox will get updated. So it makes it easy to have my backup laptop have the exact playlists and history files as my primary computer.

Posted Fri 19 Jul 13 @ 11:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)