Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Sound Quality

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

majorpHome userMember since 2005
How good is the sound quality in VDJ compared to mixvibes/djdecks/fs2/ssl etc.....?

And also would the m-audio delta 44 work well ? its got extremely low latency !?

Posted Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 5:41 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Sound quality is perfect, like any other player/mixing program, with the right settings.., their is just one minor bug regarding pitching, but we expect a fix soon.

The soundcard you use is important, but not so much.., if your useing regular high quality music files, you wont need to break your bank balance for an adeqoute card, after a certain price range, you wont notice any difference.., so a moderately priced soundcard is the best you can get for DJ'ing..

Posted Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 6:05 pm
Sound quality is excellent as long as timestretch is turned off in the config. Once there is a fix for the horrible sound quality with timestretch, then I will say sound quality is perfect, 100%

Posted Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 6:20 pm
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003
delta 44 is a very good sound card
no probleme with
i have one

Posted Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 9:08 pm
Actually I find VirtualDJ sounds a bit thinny.. especially when using ASIO, the difference with other apps like djDecks and PCDJ is quite noticable, especially on more powerful systems..

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 11:19 am
Paulheu: What settings do you use?, I think that what your saying is unfounded with the good settings.., their are a few recent bugs in the audio engine, but I believe they'll be ironed out in the next version.., but their shouldn't be a significant difference?, if that's the case for you, your alone.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 12:14 pm
so with the right settings, and a 24/96 soundcard, in theory it should sound as good as fs2/traktor ?!

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 5:24 pm
Pretty much :), minus a few (soon to be fixed) bugs.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 5:53 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
if you meen the time stretch quality bug, what makes you think there going to fix itr any time soon? its been rubbish since they put it in and they havnt changed it any of the timespeople have said please update it.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 6:19 pm
im not botherd about the time stretch function, all i want is it to replicate regular vinyl as well as possible. I have the money for final scratch but i want THE BEST REPLICATOR, one look on the final scratch forum and theres LOADS of problems !! ground loop etc....

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 6:31 pm
The Time stretch isn't a bug, it's a poorly implemented feature, and their is no emergancy to re-implement it, regular pitching is fine, as on regular turntables.

I was reffering to a few sound quality related bugs in the audio engine, like "the loss of highs when changing pitch" and the "auto gain bug" etc.., their are a few, which need a quick fix.

As for timestretch, I can't see it being fixed for quite a while, and most probably wont use it even if it was, as the feature is never likely to sound as good as regular pitching, it isn't a natural process for music, but maybe the future hardware/software will 'master' it better.

Posted Sun 31 Jul 05 @ 7:26 pm
What settings would influence soundquality? I just compare output of the software I own (VirtualDJ, djDecks and PCDJ FX) and VirtualDJ definitely does not sound as good as the other two. This is something quite noticable on a big system...

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 12:05 pm
Timestretch: Disabled (leaving it ON makes for poor 'timestretched' quality)
Limiter: Disabled (gives sound a compressed effect, giving overall poor quality sound)
Gain: between -4 to -5 gives a clear (Distortion free sound)

When memory becomes thin on the ground the sound can potentially fall apart, this is why 512 mb is reccomended as the minimum, all background apps shut down, process list ideally below 30, at hopefully above 300mb's free memory (as displayed in the task manager).

With these settings your getting (what is currentely) maximum sound quality, since version 3.0 (I think), several bugs have appeared, because the audio engine was changed, one is related to pitching (loss of highs), and one in the gain feature, their is probably serveral other (more minor) ones.., these bus are always the developers priority, so we should expect a fix relatively soon, I hope :).

Pretty much all the users that write on this forum have expressed that the sound quality and stability are of the upper most importance, and history has proven that the dev team listen to us at the forum! :).

Bagpuss.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 1:22 pm
anyway even a small overdated hint of TODO's /goals
could be published i.e.: repaired gain(no need to set it to -6) fixed minor audio quality bugs, fixed loop over end of song. Available in october.

rather be it october and have some issues seriously solved that hunting for
"next version" to be in end of august

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 3:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)