Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Are Digital DJs *REAL* DJs? - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I love software ...I have used pcdj for years ...but I don't agree with sync by software .A dj needs to know how to mix 2 songs without sync and beatlock features - it's only a point of view and of course you can desagree if you want -

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 7:47 pm
i used walkman for mixing ^^ so it's possible, you can't for sure make the perfect flawless mixes with a 2 walkman setup but you can mix 2 song if the beat is at the same(or close) bpm or there's some intro/bridges or acapella parts that can be used to make a good fade.also in fact i don't recommand anyone to mix with 2 walkman :D

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 8:08 pm
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
turntablists have or are trying to take the "Real dj" tag but its not working.
these days its now clear that the difference in equipment has nuthin to do with realness.
anyone who controlls the music for the crowd is a dj. a real dj is one who is skilled in using their equipment and gets the crowd hyped by interacting with it.

the tt djs who say they only need 2 tts and NO mic r kiddin themselves.
50 Cent's dj DJ Whoo Kid is not a turntablist. he just pushes buttons. he doesnt even seem to know how to really work tts. he's a world class dj. is he real or not?

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 9:04 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I think the real point is that some of us can make mixes with TTs, CDs, and with VDJ and other only do it with VDJ. If these Great DJ go to a place that uses CDs there is useless DJ because of his unknownlegde. If I make mixes with a Laserdisc, normal cd player, cassette decks, VHS VCR... Who need that now? and most important, who is going to accept less than a good matched mix? I feel the people become more exigent in the Djing.

There are ways to please the crowd, some uses more mic, some uses scratch, some others a remix perform, but we all have to do the work done. And the DJ skills are more than the software or hardware we use. There ways to be spectacular (more visual), and one of them today is use TTs.

I agree with internodal, the DJ is more than his tools (But it's better to known all the standard and used tools in his market to have more options to do his job).
The DJ have to learn about music, to have ear and to "read" the audience. That's for me the really job of the DJ, anything else is just a way to do it.

My answer to this topic is YES, "Digital" DJ's are "real" DJs. Because first it has to be a DJ with the all knownledge about it. If someone is behind the mixer and the TTs, don't make him a DJ. The same way if someone uses VDJ don't make him a DJ. It's a way to learn about music, about sync music, about be in the gigs playing music and expirience about all of these. After he get expirience and move the crowd maybe then. But we never stop learning...

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 9:34 pm
The way I see it, vinyl DJs have a point, and I admire their beatmatching skills. But at the same time, computer DJing is becoming more and more prevalent, and with the availability of technologies like TCVs and TCCDs to bridge the gap between the "old" and the "new", you will see more and more big name DJs use a laptop. I have seen PvD, Blank & Jones use TCCDs exclusively in their live set, I heard Tiesto is now doing the same... They will all come to it eventually, because of convenience (no more 100 lbs of vinyl to travel with) and cost (all the labels now offer MP3 downloads, which are way cheaper than vinyl or even CD). Maybe cost is not a factor to a famous DJ, but it sure is for the 90% of DJs remaining, that don't make that much money with their "art".

Yes I'm frown upon by "real" vinyl DJs when they learn I mix with a laptop, but there's more to DJing than just beatmatching : there's your programming skills, your choice of cue points, your EQ during transitions, and then the "advanced" skills, such as effects, seamless loops, that are unavailable to vinyl DJs... Let's not forget also, video mixing : show them you can mix videos with either TCVs or TCCDs and you have one more strong point in favor of computer DJing...

It's just a matter of time, labels will end vinyl's production because of the cost factor, we're just early in the game and that makes it hard to being accepted as "real" DJs, but our time will come.

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 6:23 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Lets get real, it's not rocket science to match two beats, some vinyl DJ's like to think it is.., but it really isn't, the real challenge is mixing harmonically (the best way of mixing achievable), VDJ, TT's, CDD's etc have no added advantage on this front.., and this is where the real musical skill is, and most vinyl DJ's don't know what it is, nevermind being able to accomplish it, this could explain why most vinyl DJ's play "hard style", like hardhouse, hard trance, hard dance etc.., because it's just beat on beat mixing.., it would be alot harder to mix jazz, blues, and instrumental house.., because with these styles, it soon becomes apparent that you need to mix musically.., which could be classified as skill.., alot harder than matching banging beats..

With VDJ, you can disable waveform and virtually do it all (besides BPM), but leave it on and give yourself more time for the music behind the sound, at the end of the day it's about MUSIC, not BEATS.., harmonics please!, not easy on any gear, unless you know music.

P.s please dev team, don't add key detection!.

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 6:37 pm
I saw in ComputerDJSubmit a words that say all...

"It's no longer a question of if you will use a computer to DJ... But rater When?"
“1991-Professor Jam”

And even now the question remains, When?. It's a fact, this is the new technology and this provides new ways to express ourselves with our "art". I was DJing since 1979... I learn to do the mix in several devices (and types of music), and now I'm learning more and more with the VDJ capabilities. Learning about loop, cues, effects and samples in VDJ and using my computer for DJing. But this is what scare all, TO LEARN something new, and not to be as good in the new tech as good with the old.

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 6:44 pm
I love it all, the problem is the costs.., you go and splash out on some fancy new hardware, and within months theirs already another that you have your eye on.., so whatever you get, it wont be long until your looking at the new best thing.., unless you can defy human nature and just be satisfied with what you have!, lol :).

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 7:00 pm
In total opposition with my 1st request in the "new features" forum, I have to totally agree with Bagpuss regarding the key detection : do not add it, of if you do, as an option that can easily be turned off only. As I later stated in that forum already, I found out that I quite often mix tracks with "clashing" keys with actually good results because of good EQing and/or change of pitch that changes the key of the track...

I've heard a lot of bad vinyl DJs that could beatmatch but not much else... I'll take a good VDJ or FS DJ with TCVs, TCCDs or even a DAC-2 any time over a bad vinyl DJ one...

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 7:12 pm
Bagbuss, I still using my old Numark PPD Mixer DM-1975... (I bought it in 1992), My TT SL-1210 MK2, My Yamaha AMP MX-1000U and other models than no longer exist. I have new equipment too but I still have the old one functional.

I'm surprise when I heard a DJ who cannot do Key mixing. And Trance and techo and other applies as well. Even with key matching, there other things that we will be doing. If I known how to add to numbers, then It's fine I use a calculator to do this job. The same is with this. A true DJ most now how to key matching a song and then it will be able to use the automatic funtion. If he didn't, he limit himself. The software doesn't matter. But key matching isn't the problem, like the BPM in VDJ is not giving the real BPM of the song, the same (or worst) will be by key matching.

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 7:21 pm
@ e-motion: Your right, harmonics is often not a factor, alot of ways to avoid harmonic clash, and alot track combinations allow you to make a perfect transition before any harmonics are present, only sometimes is it inescapable, and that is the fun part, the music part, I love it, auto has a place, but not in everything.

@acw_dj: That is always good to hear! :).

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 7:30 pm
djltHome userMember since 2005
I've been trying to find some info on harmonic mixing, i do a lot of rnb and hip hop and just managed to get bpm matching...

I find it hard to establish keys of the song... anyone gimme a hand?

Posted Fri 05 Aug 05 @ 3:54 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
www.djprince.no more information on harmonic mixing.

Posted Fri 05 Aug 05 @ 4:06 pm
Manual verse auto?:

"The way I look at it is like a pilot. When he’s flying the plane manually, hands on the controls, he’s having a right old laugh, getting a good buzz, but then when he goes into autopilot, holding the plane on a steady course, he can do a thousand other things in the cockpit."

This is a quote from an interesting new article, here it is on the IDJ site:
Manual verse auto?:

"The way I look at it is like a pilot. When he’s flying the plane manually, hands on the controls, he’s having a right old laugh, getting a good buzz, but then when he goes into autopilot, holding the plane on a steady course, he can do a thousand other things in the cockpit."

This is a quote from an interesting new article, here it is on the IDJ site:
http://www.i-dj.co.uk/features/featurespage.php?ID=71&page=1

Please note, I apologize that they seem to be 'selling' other products.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 2:56 am
wyworgPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I´m a real dj i mix with cd players or vinyl or virtualdj but Why do i use virtualDj? well because i can do some things with virtualDj that with the cds or vinyl is impossible (i don´t speak only about the bpm)... i speak about fast bpm (manually 30 or 60 sg for calculate the bpm) grafic (count 4/4 series) perfect loops (manually you can modificate the loops but you could fail...) effects (some mix tables haven´t got goods efects) fast search song.. space for your disc.... record cds and write the names.. etc etc etc....

And i think that very much people learn to mix with cds or vinyl because they had use virtualdj first.. VirtualDj is a good program for professional djs or beginners...

Thank you friends.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 10:36 am
I use it simply because it can do more, and what it does, it does damn well.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 3:43 pm
My point exactly! You might know how to beatmatch on vinyl or CD, but once you use VDJ, it's mixing on steroids! I've been DJing since 1993 and I have to say, software such as VDJ opens up the possibilities tremendously, with its effects, video mixing, perfect looping, samples...

Posted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 7:11 am
Q: Are Digital DJs *REAL* DJs?
A: Yes.

Q: Why?
A: Only the DJ's tools differ, the rest is the same.

Q: But a vinyl DJ gotta be the really coolest DJ type, right?
A: With VDJ you may combine old equipment with new, so what is the difference?

Posted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 3:49 pm
diskodHome userMember since 2005
hie guys we do that we do with our preferred tools one does not use what one does not know (unless of course if one is willing to learn)
point bieng TT or VDJ it does not matter what matter is do you do it well or not if you can then that's fine we should all learn to accept the fact that we are all DJs.
people are still people even if they like or do different things
we are all DJs with different preferred tools of the trade
hope that we can all understand that there's no real or fake we are all there.

Posted Thu 22 Sep 05 @ 4:09 pm
95%