Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How did Technics get such a good rep? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

How did they get such a good rep? There really isnt anything extraordinary abiout them, and they dont have tons of features or anything?

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 10:22 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Quality. Thats all I have to say.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:01 pm
quality, the needle and cartirdge give quality, not the turntable

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:12 pm
oh, do u meen the turntable is good qualit, well sorta, but any other around the same price is the same..

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:13 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's a performance quality not a quality of sound (though that is a factor). The Technic's performance quality has been around for 30+ years of DJing. Only until recently (Last 5 years) has anyone even been able to get close to the performance and durability of the Technics. There are DJs that are out there using tables they have had for 15 to 20 years with simple maintenance from time to time. So, don't ever get caught up in the same price = same quality game. It's all about history of the product and company. For example; to most DJ's up until the TTX turntable nobody really looked upon Numark as a quality Turntable manufacture, however; in the last few years they have slowly proven themselves as a contender - but they are still no TECHNICS!

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:24 pm
really i disagree, i no people who have had technics, and were in the end disapppointed, and had several problems, i recently bought numarks, and the features on these things go beyond technics

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:27 pm
Disappointed with what? No cute blinky lights? No LED display? Bells and whistles don't make the DJ, it's how he/she uses the tools and the skills they bring to the table. I'll take a pair of 15+ year old full-working TECHNICs anyday over a fresh out of the box TTX.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:33 pm
wow, i find the quality is barely a differnece... and the features, not the lcd, or lights, but features... and 15 year old over new ttx... wow, u must have had a good experience with technics

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:37 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Like I said quality.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:43 pm
DJ Homeboy - you know what I am talking about, right.

brennan11 - before you so gracefully ripped me in another thread, you posted that you were 15 yrs. old, strung short on money, and just getting started in DJing. If you what good skills and good gear pay close attention to the veterans. Those that can go back 15+ years in their DJ life understand what I have been saying.

And YES, I have had good experience with TECHNICs, matter of FACT, I use TTs that are 10+ years old and have only needed minor calibration maintenance, which is nothing more then like changing oil in a car. Just wait until all the little 'features' start to breakdown in the TTX. Or the digital output circuit board fails on the the TTX, then what?

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:47 pm
sry bout that cstoll. wat tt's do u have? and u think there is actually a large difference between the new tt's and technics?so large that the price difference is actually worth it?

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:59 pm
k and u dont no anythings gonna ''fall out'' and personally i think the ttx is a rip off to, no one needs an lcd on their turntable

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 12:01 am
oops i ment fail instead of fall out

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 12:02 am
If you haven't figured it out - TECHNICS
I would drop $400 to $600 dollars on a one (1) used TECHNICS before I would buy a pair of TTXs for $700 - 800. If you want to get a feel for what I am talking about, go to ebay and search for Technics TTs and see what bidding prices people are gettting for their gear. Any where between $800 - 1000+ for a pair of USED Technics.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 12:06 am
k that makes a price difference of 200.00 and i didnt say ttx, i mean like the tt-500, which has a much more powerful motor then most technics

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 12:09 am
and wat tt's do u have? but u would pay the difference of around 300.00 for some used technics over, new tt-500's?

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 12:10 am
and wat tt's do u have? TECHNICS

but u would pay the difference of around 300.00 for some used technics over, new tt-500's?

OK price compare - using Music123.com TT500 - $299.99

And the average price for a new Technics SL-1200MK2 (Which it the model of choice IMO) is about $450 - 500. So the difference is about $200 new to new. But if I could pick up a used SL-1200MK2 for about $350 - 400 and it was well maintained then sure, I would drop the cash in a heartbeat. Then the closer you get to NEW pricing it would be a bad investment not to buy new. BTW, unless Technics stop making TTs then I will never own another brand regardless of price differences.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 12:56 am
Technics had basically no competition for 15-20 years. Basically every night club dj had a pair of 1200's. Al ot of them had a LITELAB lighting controller. The register system was a MICROS.

These are just few examples ,but these companies saw a market and monopolized them for years. Many are know as the first one or the master
You are not just buying the equipment. You are buying a Name. Brand recognition sells more products than quality. Whwn you add in the indisputable quality you have a win win.

Why does general motor not drop all there extras names and just make chevys? Because says would go down simply because people buy a name brand.

It's the old"Dad had a pontiac so I want a pontiac"

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 1:29 am
Technics is the way to go by far. They have been around since forever in the DJ industry. There is a reason for that...Homeboy got it right...quality!

MS

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 1:33 am
All of these posts seem to skip one very important aspect of why Technics has been and will be the dominant brand for professional DJ turntables. STANDARDIZATION! I'm not just talking about going to a club and having a familar set of decks to work on, or participating in a DJ battle contest (although those are good points too).

What I'm talking about is the commodity status that is reached by a product when it becomes "the industry standard". This means you will NEVER have a problem getting spare parts for a 1200MKII, 10 years from now. Numark might tell you the same thing about their non industry standard tables, but I can give you examples from all types of electronics gear, where a few years after they were sold, parts were impossible to get for them. This will never happen with Technics turntables.

Also, a huge benefit to standardization, is that the accessories makers have a standard target to accesorize. They can't (and wouldn't) accesorize a tiny piece of the entire market. They go for the majority. Ever hear of a Kingston Dubplate Cutter? Yes, this device attaches to your Technics 1200 turntable so you can cut your own vinyl records. You think they are gonna make it for whatever model Numark comes out with this year? Probably not. In the 1200, they have stable and standard target, which is of high quality and essientially hasn't changed in 25 years.

I've learned all about this standardization and accessories through owning an IPOD as well. The accessories market for IPODs is just as big as the IPOD market itself. You will not see 100s of manufacturers making accessries for non-IPOD mp3 players. It just won't happen.

My $0.02.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 1:54 am
69%