Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Silence remover at begin-end of song

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

johansPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Is it possible to foresee a functionality (enable or disable via settings) that can remove automatically the silences at the beginning or end of a song.
something like an autocue (skipping the silence)
ofcourse combined with a possibilty to set a treshold level (till what level a silence is seen) would be very great.

Maybe this is already requested and taken into consideration, then just ignore this request.

Johans

Posted Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 10:05 pm
and if connected somehow with automix (simple fade) it would be COOL

Posted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 1:08 pm
there is a function in FAME settings that will go automatically to the first cue point (AUTO CUE)

It could be nice if this function made VDJ go to first beat (skip silence) when no cue point where made..

nice request :)

Posted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 3:02 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
For the moment, if you do a right click on the stop button, it goes on the first beat.

Posted Sun 17 Jul 05 @ 4:31 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Really for me, not needed, it takes secounds to cue on a cd player (to first beat), and mili secounds in VDJ, because of the waveform.., so a waste of time in my opinion.., but if it's added, then no loss.., but I like to do some things manually, i'm not a complete advocate of "auto" functions...

Bagpuss.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 12:12 am
Same for me Bagpuss.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 1:50 am
And I quite like when there is a blank at the beginning of a song, it helps to make a 3 beat loop (4beats but one blank beat) ;)

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 1:51 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Maybe a possibility to hit the number of beats wanted in the loop by adding a cursor on the skin at the number of beats value displayed.

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 9:53 am
Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
skip silence when no cue point set... well, isn't it what the "auto-cue=always" option stands for ??

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 5:50 pm
I'm not sure whether it's not for cue to first beat.
Anyway a little option for cutting off the silence on the end is missing when
using automix feature (during coctail wedding parts)

Posted Wed 20 Jul 05 @ 6:55 pm
@dev-staff: Auto cue is not removing any silence for me :-( i tryed it yesterday if no cues are set it makes nothing, even not find the first beat.

Posted Thu 21 Jul 05 @ 10:30 am
sorry, when set to enable it finds the first cue if set, else nothing
if set to always it finds the first beat, but often it cuts the very large amount of intro even with a beat, it is same as right clicking ot the stop button.

Posted Thu 21 Jul 05 @ 9:02 pm
Too bad indeed there is no autocue (strip silence) function in VDJ.
The program is super, but it would be a very handy thing to have.
It would be really nice to have some kind of setting for setting the level, this way everybody can set the level they like. For those who want to have the possibility to make a three beat loop, you can just set the level to "infinity", or turn it off.

Anyways, it would be nice to have.

Greetz

Jeroen

Posted Thu 09 Nov 06 @ 11:09 pm
John CPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Johan,

Are you looking to trim just mp3 audio files?

If so try a program called MP Trim found here: http://www.mptrim.com/

It does batch trims in record time. Also provides many other features.

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 3:48 pm
Hi John C,

I cannot answer for Johan, but for me the mptrim is not an option. It is destructive editing and that way there is no posibillity to get it ever back again.

Most proffesional CD-players do have also an auto-cue option. (strip silence)

The auto-cue function in VDJ, as it is now, will skip a soft intro as well, instead of trimming only the silence from the beginning.

Of course it is posible to set a cue point for every song, but it will take weeks to set cue points for my collection of 33000 songs.

Posted Wed 15 Nov 06 @ 2:41 am
Dev staff wrote :
skip silence when no cue point set... well, isn't it what the "auto-cue=always" option stands for ??

This is not that accurate. I have had VDJ skip 1/4 into the track at the completely wrong location.

Accurate Autocue is pretty important for me that is.

I have done the work around of setting all mine but I think setting a threshold and doing it automatically would be a great convenience.

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 9:13 am
johans wrote :
Is it possible to foresee a functionality (enable or disable via settings) that can remove automatically the silences at the beginning or end of a song.
something like an autocue (skipping the silence)
ofcourse combined with a possibilty to set a treshold level (till what level a silence is seen) would be very great.

Maybe this is already requested and taken into consideration, then just ignore this request.

Johans

This feature was requested 2 years ago by me. Still hopeful it will make it in.

Posted Tue 20 Jan 09 @ 7:44 pm
Automix supports removal of silence when automixing. And that's great.

I find, though, that depending on the music, the (seemingly fixed) threshold for what constitutes silence is too high, so reverb tails get cut off at the end of songs, and songs which fade in get their beginnings thrown out. I would like to set the threshold to -60db so more content at the beginning and end of songs is kept.

Posted Fri 05 Oct 18 @ 1:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)