Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: VDJ phono-out over line-out (reverse RIAA preamp)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

In another thread measures were discussed to run VDJ through a mixer's phono input.
Common advice is to use line-phono-converters such as the Monacor LPC-1.
So my question is: Why not save the money and the effort and let the software do it?
Since there is a RIAA Preamp for Timecode, there also has to be a way (at least as an effect with some kind of RIAA-compliant EQ with an adapted curve) to send a phono level through the line-out and thus use it directly on a phono channel.
I think it's every DJ's concern to have easy ways of adapting to all kinds of mixers in all kinds of locations.
For me as a HipHop DJ e.g it'd be a huge relief not having to switch cables with all the Serato-users on the usual battlemixers. I could just use the phono-in and loop the signal through VDJ for Vinyl DJs.

I welcome any contructive comment.

Posted Thu 11 Nov 10 @ 10:18 pm
Now that's odd - I found out someone had the very same idea and already created the effect.
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/1235/Inverse_RIAA.html

Still, it would be great to have this in the Software with a hi-q converter.

Edit:
Forget what I said - this works awful. on an i5 with 4 GB RAM I can't even think about using timecode. As soon as i turn that effect on, pullling the vinyl backwards resuts in crackle, pop and mute. I usually use 5ms latency, but even 11ms is affected and that's it about scratching.

Also you can't put effects on bypassed vinyl, so my plans don't come together, so far.

Any suggestions?

Posted Fri 12 Nov 10 @ 6:01 am
Okay:
News - just in case anyone cares:
http://www.vacuumsound.de/plugins.html - download "RIAA - phono equalization"
Choose inverted RIAA in the options (strangely a slider) and enjoy.
Works and sounds great on my Machine.

Posted Sat 27 Nov 10 @ 8:58 am
TexZKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
A digital inverse RIAA isn't well suitable, because it reduces the sound level, thus the bit accuracy. The output signal should in fact be lowered from about 2V to about 2mV, with a loss of about 1000 times. This means roughly 10 bits less of sample precision, which isn't good at all...

It is much better to buy a Line-to-RIAA converter, or build one with a few components, because it doesn't introduce so much noise as a digitally lowered signal.

Posted Mon 29 Nov 10 @ 12:50 pm
Finally someone who shares a thought, thanks.

I guess neither my ears, nor this workaround is high-end, but comparing both the line-out-to-line-in and the inverse RIAA to phono-in using an uncompressed acoustic music file over the VV-Box and my Technics RP-DH1200 I could not tell a difference. Plus electronic components may also add noise.

Since what you say about bit accuracy sounds reasonable, I think everyone should listen for themselves.

Besides, it's a great just-in-case solution. The file takes 104 KB and no space in your bag. No line-in available on the club-mixer? Just use the phono.

For convenience create a mapper "deck [#] effect 'RIAA' activate & deck [#] effect 'RIAA' slider 1 0% & deck 1 effect 'RIAA' slider 2 100%"

Posted Thu 02 Dec 10 @ 8:33 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)