Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Merging Mp3 tracks that were split in VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

BecanesPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I recorded an mp3 mix last night with the autosplit on crossfade feature. It was the first time I used the feature I didn't know what to exactly expect. I should have tested it first before I made an 70 minute mix. Anyways, it split it up into 67 different tracks. Some being 1 second in length. I was wondering if there was a way to merge these tracks back together so it sounds like 1 long track. Then I could split it up using another program. Oh, and great product by the way. This is my first post.

Thanks.

Posted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 2:12 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
they save in what mp3?? you can burn a disc in nero merging the tracks and then can rip the disc back and make new splits. i not sure how VDJ splits them but there could be a very small gap between splits, which could make this a harder job, then you can try burn what you have to a disc, rip it back as a wav, and then you'll need a program like acid or something that lets you edit multi-tracks, and carefully piece this back together. as a rule of thumb i always record as one track and split after, mp3 don't always slipt clean leaving a tiny gap (has to do with the encoding i believe)

Posted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 2:45 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I use the freeware mp3DirectCut 1.34 util, to edit/merge/split etc
mp3 files directly (without re-encoding and loosing quality)
Search for it.
And welcome to the forum.

PS. if you split to cue/bin file for cd burn, you may need something like cdrcue (not free).

Posted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 3:07 pm
I'll try the mp3DirectCut option when I get home. I tried merging them back with Mp3Album something, but there were imperfections where I split the track. I hope your program can put it back together properly. I don't want to waste a mix like that.

Posted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 3:17 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I'm afraid this is a problem related to the mp3 format.
I made tests to found that at every encoded file an amount (ms) of silence is added to the start and the end. This produce small "gaps" when you merge them again.
Use wav or ogg for mixes.

Posted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 3:26 pm
Ok, so there is nothing I can do with these mp3 files to merge them back together to get rid of the imperfections (I like that word).

Posted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 3:51 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
with mp3DirectCut, you can try to "cut out" the imperfections

Posted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 4:23 pm
but maybe you will hear small "blips" when merging two files, even when you cutout the silence.
That's because you can cut just mp3 frames and they must me continuos.

But play a little with that Directcut and you will have quite good results.

Posted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 5:38 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
thats what i was saying, convert all mp3's to wav's and use a program like acid or something like it to manually merge the wav files trying to eliminate that "blip" or small space. acid is all i use so for anything else i can't suggest. you can even make a cut and paste from a prior bar and paste that back in the space, fill in the gaps. either way its work.

Posted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 6:07 pm
Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably try all of them.

Posted Thu 16 Jun 05 @ 6:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)