Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Search feature enhancement.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Could we please have better search functionality when using VDJ qith ID3 tags. HAving search work on the colum which you sort on would be fine for me.. Also having an option to always search the database (whether selected or not) would be welcome.

The limited search featureset is what is currently keeping me from using VDJ live..

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 11:02 pm
I think there is a action mappable to shortut named "search"
it activates the database and puts cursor in the search dialog.
So you just press F and type "misirlou" ....

Posted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 11:03 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
The search in Vdj -along with the easy to create/update search database- is the fastest search ever.
Have you tried other programs ?, mixvibes/traktor/pcdj are way too slower...
I use the search action on "*" key, and the TAB key to go back_to_folder, after the search.
Also i use shortcut keys to short the results (by artist/title or bpm)
Just to give you some ideas...

As for id3 tags, i just made some tests.
You're right. Tag info about Artist/title are not included in search.
That's because search uses the "mp3database.txt" file and this file is not updated with tag info, but only include, the absolute paths, that's why search is so fast :)

I can suggest:
A "deep scan" OPTION for the "add to search DB" command, for those using tags (i not) regardless if "read tag" option is enabled or not...
(Because someone may prefer filenames in the browser, and tags in search...)
So the "mp3database.txt" will include Tags info (in this mode ONLY.)
Scan and search will be slower (thats why as an "option") but the results more accurate.
I hope you'll like the idea...

Posted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 11:56 am
For REALLY fast searching, I suggest getting used to not using ID3 tags. It took me a little while to get used to doing it this way (Being a PCDJ convert) but now I wouldn't go back. I can find what I need so much faster and easier than with PCDJ or other ID3 tag searching programs.
If you have your files named like 'artist - title.mp3' then you can search by artist only by appending " - " to the string, and likewise, you can search on title only by prepending " - ".
Also, when not using ID3 tags, you can also search for directories; for example, I type '\disco\' and any song in my 'disco' directory come up, without having to navigate to that directory.

Posted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 5:13 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Not sure why that last post came up as anonymous but it is me... Frd.
Maybe my login timed-out while I was typing.

Posted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 5:15 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
That's because you took too much time to write and post it ;)

Posted Wed 15 Jun 05 @ 9:45 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)