Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Can't record video.... Codec Error. Assistance Needed ASAP.... Mahalo..... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DME-CEOPRO InfinityMember since 2006
O.K., so I've been trying all kinds of different combos in hope to get this working but I'm posting so hopefully someone can shed a little light on this.... I've done everything and then some as described here:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/124643/PC_Version_Technical_Support/Video_Recording_Error.html

but no dice...

Specs:
HP Pavilion Elite e9230f
Win 7 Home premium/64-Bit
Intel Core 2 Quad processors-Q8400(x2)
8GB DDR3 Ram
ATI Radeon HD 4350 Graphic card
1TB HD (not used, all files on external)

*Video plays flawlessly without any problems, it just won't record!

*Comp has been optimized using the DPC Latency Tool (awesome by the way)

*I've installed DivX and K-Lite Codec packs

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Sat 24 Jul 10 @ 11:45 pm

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 2:02 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
@dme-ceo, never usually use this function so just tried it out to see if I could see where your problem may be and unfortunately I've come across the same problem, all codecs installed, record works fine in audio mode but not for video, looked in both config settings tried say flv or .flv repeated this process throughout the video settings in config each time same result "video codec not found"

Will keep on trying to find an answer for you, but if anyone can chip in with a solution we'd both be grateful.

Update

Set config to divx in record and hit the record about five or six times before it finally connected, but it is now recording.

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 3:19 pm
This is a guide on how I setup video recording on my new Bootcamped Macbook Pro i7 yesterday;

On Windows 7, I downloaded and installed the http://shark007.net/ Codecs (there's also a version for Vista that is compatible with XP too).

Download and install DJCel's registry tool from the downloads section and run it.
Bottom right hand side click on "Select a Codec".
A small window appears to "Choose a codec".
I select "ffshow".
Then click in the same box on the button "configure".
Another window opens defaulting to "encoder configure". There's a "decoder" tab too which I don't use.
At the top of the Window there is a pull down box for selecting the encoder.
*** As my computer is very fast, Bootcamped Apple Macbook Pro i7, it defaults to "MPEG-4". My previous HP laptop would default to "FLV1".
I leave it at the default and click on the "Apply" button at the bottom of the window, then click "OK".
That takes me back to the previous codec selection window where I click on "OK".
I'm then left with the original Registry Tool window.
***Important*** At the bottom of the window click on "Apply" and a small window appears with "Registry updated", click on "OK".
Then click on "close" to exit the registry editor.

In VDJ, select the record tab and then select "Record Video".
Then select "Configure" and you will see that the codec it defaults to now is "ffds".
It's just a matter of giving the recording file a location and name, I make a new folder in the Documents folder called "VirtualDJ Recordings".
Then click on "Master", I don't usually use the auto-start as you have to have a video loaded and press play for it to work. I prefer to start the recording process manually, any silence can be trimmed out later.

....and that should be it. I played around on my previous laptop to try and get better quality be changing codecs, but, found only the default codec "FLV1" in the Registry Tool worked reasonably well. This new laptop has defaulted to a better codec "MPEG-4", but then, it is a much faster more powerful computer.

Hope this is useful to all those struggling to record video, best of luck.
Cheers
Les

http://www.vjles.com

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 5:38 pm
Most video codecs require the horizontal and vertical dimensions to be divisible by 8, unfortunately you have no way of knowing the size of the preview window but if you leave it at default these properties should be true.

Posted Mon 26 Jul 10 @ 6:34 pm
tayla wrote :
@dme-ceo, never usually use this function so just tried it out to see if I could see where your problem may be and unfortunately I've come across the same problem, all codecs installed, record works fine in audio mode but not for video, looked in both config settings tried say flv or .flv repeated this process throughout the video settings in config each time same result "video codec not found"

Will keep on trying to find an answer for you, but if anyone can chip in with a solution we'd both be grateful.

Update

Set config to divx in record and hit the record about five or six times before it finally connected, but it is now recording.

Thanx boss, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide some insight and do a little trouble shooting... I will give it a go again and see what happens... I will post an update! Again thanx!

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 12:58 am
To all whom have chimed in, thanx for the reply's I will try any and everything to get it to work... I will keep everyone posted... as for my output window, I have it going to a 20" monitor and the main monitor (mixing) is 40".

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 1:02 am
Are you outputting to the second monitor directly or dragging the preview window and resizing? The size of your monitor doesn't matter, it's the resolution which is important. Some codecs may not want to record at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 for example (but I think it's mainly the horizontal where the divisible by 8 rule is true). Give 1280x768 or 1920x1080 a try.

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 7:07 am
i have tried EVERY codec and followed EVERY thing on this board and i have NEVER gotten it to record anything usable. the one time it did work the resolution was horrible. i too have asked for help and get the same links over and over.

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 12:42 pm
djsynystr are you recording from the preview window or a secondary monitor output, if a secondary monitor output, at what resolution was it set at?

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 12:46 pm
i haven't tried it in a while but if i remember right i tried it using the preview window and set the resolution to match the codecs set up. it didn't matter i couldn't get it working right and gave up. i would love to use it for some remixes for transformations etc in vdj.

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 12:54 pm
Dunno what all this fuss about resolution is, i do what I described above and whether external screens are connected or not, it just works. I never touch the resolution.

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 1:00 pm
fuss is if i'm trying to use the recording for a finished project i would want the best resolution possible. if not when i import the transition etc into vegas you see a huge difference in quality.

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 1:02 pm
DJSoulman wrote :
Dunno what all this fuss about resolution is, i do what I described above and whether external screens are connected or not, it just works. I never touch the resolution.

The majority of video codecs perform best at resolutions which are mod16 (both dimensions give zero remainder when divided by 16). If the dimensions are not at least mod8 then the encoder may give trouble, you can test it yourself easily.

Try resizing Virtual DJ's preview window to any size (may take a couple of attempts if you actually do manage to somehow size it to mod8) and then recording the preview window using DivX or XviD, you will get an error. Fullscreen resolutions of 1440x900 and 1680x1050 (which are common widescreen monitor resolutions) and not mod8 compliant.

edit: I tested this using mencoder and as long as the resolution is mod2 xvid and x264 encode happily enough; but odd resolutions give a codec error.

Posted Tue 27 Jul 10 @ 2:30 pm
Andrew87 wrote :
Are you outputting to the second monitor directly or dragging the preview window and resizing? The size of your monitor doesn't matter, it's the resolution which is important. Some codecs may not want to record at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 for example (but I think it's mainly the horizontal where the divisible by 8 rule is true). Give 1280x768 or 1920x1080 a try.

I'm dragging it over to the other monitor.I'll try the recommended settings...

Posted Wed 28 Jul 10 @ 1:48 am
Andrew87 wrote :

Andrew, I changed a few things as you suggested... I left the default size output video the same without changing the size of it and left it on the main monitor and what do you know I hit record and no problem! The only thing that now has me "guessing" is at what size can that window be enlarged at without sacrificing or even preventing performance... I guess I'll just have to play around with that one. On one other side note, when played using DIVX everything is good but when I opened it with Window's Media Player there was a definite audio video lag.... I just thought I'd put that out there but anyway, thanx for the help bro.....

Posted Wed 28 Jul 10 @ 2:43 am
DME-CEO wrote :

... I left the default size output video the same without changing the size of it and left it on the main monitor and what do you know I hit record and no problem!

Isn't that what I said in my posts above???

Posted Wed 28 Jul 10 @ 6:50 am
hippydog wrote :
http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Recording_Video.html
you followed the steps as outlined in the wiki above?
What codec are you using?
are you using "full screen" or the secondary window?
What recording resolution is the codec set too?

maybe its clearer now why I asked the questions I did?
1.) each codec reacts differently.. some are tolerant and can handle multiple resolutions.. some arent..
2.) VDJ records the video from the "video output window" and the resolution it is set at is what is shoved at the codec..
IE: if you start with the "window" upon first starting VDJ defaults to 320 X 240 .. it doesnt matter what your codec is set too.. its still only going to recieve a resolution of 320 X 240.. and if you resize this wondow? in many cases the codec can't handle the odd resolution.. (same thing can happen if you use the full screen video output)
3.) the recording resolution has to match (or like andrew mentioned be a divideable integer #) IE: 320 goes into 640 evenly
:-)

Posted Wed 28 Jul 10 @ 9:48 am
DJSoulman wrote :
DME-CEO wrote :

... I left the default size output video the same without changing the size of it and left it on the main monitor and what do you know I hit record and no problem!

Isn't that what I said in my posts above???

That you did, I appreciate your reply as well.... lol.... SO THANX TO ALL ONCE AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT I DO APPRECIATE IT!

Posted Wed 28 Jul 10 @ 12:13 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
glad your sorted.

Posted Wed 28 Jul 10 @ 7:29 pm
74%