Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Got stabbed in the back!!!!! - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

@Andre:

Sorry to hear about the betrayal. However, consider getting burned as another of life’s lessons learned. This is why I stressed in my “Club Mixing” thread to be fresh and original. Being the “Old School” DJ that you are, you already know that being fresh means giving the crowd something new. Being original means giving the crowd something only you can give. You have to create an image in the club that no other DJ can replace. Although the crowd comes to hear the music, they shouldn't feel totally satisfied unless it’s you mixing. Why? Because only you can give them that feeling they have become accustomed to experiencing. It’s like driving a $100,000 car and then driving a $10,000 car. Although the $10,000 car can take you to your destination, the ride just isn’t the same....

OO

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 9:49 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Don't worry Andre, everyone gets what he deserves! I had a similiar experience! Friday's was bad so the boss decided to save some money, meaning he will use MY computer with Atomix Mp3, which I keep at disco (desktop system). He didn't mixed, just playing, and I show him how a few days before that friday. So I was at home losing money, and he is playing instead of me. It ended this way: he spilled something on HIS mixer and managed to burn one of the channels on amplifier :) ! So you see, Big one above sets scores for us... This is the nature too! "Not belive my friend" as someone said here? Damn, than I should be a security bouncer, not a DJ :) ?
I hope that this helps, and keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer!

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 1:25 am
Got some news.....vdj not working right ...lol i think they will be using cds this weekend!!!

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 8:27 pm
sorry about that guys... but i'm glad u guys wrote up on it. My buddy who is a classic vynil dj and laughed when i started mixing w/ VDJ... and he's primarily a house/trance DJ.. i like hip hop...
the thing is that he would always say... im getting FS.. it's the best bla bla bla...
so i would always say... look i dont know dj'ing as well as you..and since he knew his stuff i wouldn't challenge his comments...Here's where your thread comes in handy...
I finally spent the money, got the TCV, and started mixing pretty good... especially hip hop...
he comes to my house and hears me mixing... smiles and hits my tt's... and just starts mixing..
even started scratching pretty good i might add ( sad to say, i thought there was a system problem until i heard someone go buck on my system)... well the funny thing is he hasn't mixed hip hop in years... but i guess ego got involved and he called me the other day to see if he could come over and make a CD!!!!
on my "piece of garbage"--- followed that by saying.. "i'm gonna start mixing hip hop" and i want you to show me how to loop, configure---
well after reading this... my help will be pretty simple... spend the hours I did trying to get the help and non stop support from the people in this forum who not only know about DJing, but also know the in's and out's of soundcards, latency, asio, etc etc...
by the way... dj andre, karma is a very tricky... its feast or famine... meaning today they might have taken ur gig-- but bc ur karma is positive and powerful when it's ur time to feast... A FEAST YOU WILL HAVE MY MAN!!!!!

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 11:12 pm
I dont want not to promote vdj just let them discover on their own how to use it.
If someone asks just tell them to get the software and use the forums.
@dj kiteman...careful with that dude of yours!!!sounds funky to me
Thanks again to all for the support,i appreciate it very much.
Best Regards
Andre

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 1:59 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The negative sides of capitalizim a?, well sometimes it payes to be a bit more exclusive.., working in clubs and bars is for sure a temporay means for many, only a lucky few get a nice cushty position in a place they like.., my main market will be hotels, expensive ones :).

Bagpuss

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 8:40 pm
Its a shame to build something for 3 months and just let it go!!!He knows the experience i have, i offered to put his bar on the radio several times.People were coming to see me all the time telling me they loved it.You cant buy experience you have to live it.
Its all good...im gonna take a break from the weekend gigs for a bit,i still work Sun Mon Tues
nights.This will give me sometime for vdj radio.Im trying to make the team.....lol
Regards
Andre

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 9:03 pm
hello my name is clarence i live in the chicago area and i use the vdj program i am ok i guess since i do not have any one in my area to caomare my self with are there any vdj in the chicago area i can visit or get more knowledge from
i do 2 gig a week so i will no steal your jobs just looking to upgrade my skills
please email me or call me at 815-726-3670
or email me at chervey686@sbcglobal.net
so i cal learn more about this product
dj is a hobby for me not a job
i have been using computer for dj since 99

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 3:19 am
hmmmmm should i.....lol ok Clarence check my blogs contact me thru msn i can help you
Welcome to DAL school of mixing..lmao
Regards
Andre

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 9:25 am
Got news....im spinning 5 days a week again....lol alls well ends well
thanks again
Best Regards
Andre

Posted Thu 23 Jun 05 @ 5:38 am
congrats :-)

Posted Thu 23 Jun 05 @ 12:28 pm
Always use a contract... That's my motto. For a club, contract a guaranteed time, that is if they want to use you exclusively for a certain night.

Posted Thu 23 Jun 05 @ 2:05 pm
in my djing prime i used pcdj. before i went out there i bedroomed djed for a while. i had pcdj blue since it came out in 98 or 99. by the time i was gettin my gigs in 2001 i was way ahead of the regular djs.
i think its because of me that djs 100 miles my radius use pcdj red.

with red i had all cues set, bpms set, clean files, no less than 256k quality files, and 30G library. by the time i was out there after 3 years mastering the program and mixes, i was clearly the best. i knew my computer like the back of my hand (since i was a computer science major); know my music too--on mainstream and underground too.

VDJ is easy to learn if u comin from pcdj. its pcdj on steriods. but i think at least 4 months is needed to master vdj as a true pro. setting up cues, bpms and updating music.
dont get me wrong it took me the time to set up shortcuts to replicate exactly what i was doing with pcdj. took me about 30 minutes to set up shortcuts and understand what the extras could do. which means there was no learning curve for me coz i laid the shortcuts exactly as they were on pcdj.
anyone that hasnt mastered this program at least 4 months full time is risking gettin replaced in the dj market. (well at least in my area)

i was so good i replaced the local hip-hop (scratch) dj that was playin in the club. first i got my own night. built it from scratch. got it as the most hype night BY MYSELF then took over as the main dj of the club. but the club management got me to replace to all the djs. i wasnt happy coz they all turned against me when these were dudes i grew up listenin to.

at that time i couldnt work more than 2 days coz of school. and the other days Mon, Tue, Fri, Sat, Sun were pretty weak. that 50 dallar dj took all the days and completely fukked up the place. lol. anyway now that the place is closed down its remembered as me being the wiz with the computer djing (remixing acappellas on the fly, short mixes), the only dj to pull people from the other side of the city to that side, the youngest dj to play there.

anyway after they cut him ($200/night) i ($150) held down the place and my day came too. this other dude cut as me at $50 lol. well with me i didnt cut radio station dj. my intention was to get a different night. and just be happy working at the same club with him. but he could hardly get 60 people in there on Wedn. and at $3/head it didnt make sense having him when the club spent about $500/week on advertising on the radio. and they had him 2 months with no results. with me i just came in without advertisement and built my Thursday night from scratch and had it housefull (later Wedn night too). prior to me this place on Thursdays had no chance competiting with the other clubs.
financially the club didnt make sense before me.

$50 is an insult even if i were to play premixed cds. $100 only if i get at least 2 nights with free drinks every time i asked for them (myself, side kick and chicks).

right now in my area im the michael jordan of djs--i'm still considered the best even tho inactive. i did it with pcdj. with vdj/computer djing i might wear my 45 and come back. my choice will definately be vdj.

Posted Sat 09 Jul 05 @ 8:38 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You took too much time to write ... and your nickname doesn't appear. Could you tell us who you are ?
(Next time for long posts it's better to write it first in a .txt file for example ;) )
Good post.

Posted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 6:20 pm
Hey Andre. Your original post back there three pages ago underscores one of my problems with ALL the skins. They all say VirtualDJ on them. I know it should be easy enough to modify the skin to fix it to NOT say VirtualDJ on it, but I haven't ever taken the time to remove the VirtualDJ logo from my favorite skin (Mixstation). I probably should though, and quit complaining about it. I don't need people knowing what software I use,.. it's always a hot topic wherever I DJ.

Posted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 7:02 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Be careful anewsome because in VDJ 3.0 skins (skins that include functions from VDJ 3) must have the logo on them and nothing can hide them. So for example if you want all video functions in them you will need the logo.

If you really want to hide it, i think you can make a skin bigger than the screen and put the logo outside the screen as if it was on a second screen on desktop extended mode.

But if this trick works you must be careful because it can make VDJ crash when you close it and re-open it.

Posted Sat 16 Jul 05 @ 12:39 am
Just use photoshop and modify the skin .It works perfectly no lost functions.

Posted Sat 16 Jul 05 @ 12:44 am
Hi everyone, I can relate...

I have been a mobile DJ for over 15 years. I've played in weddings, school parties, clubs, bars, everywhere. And I can't tell you how many times I've been booed out of a gig, during my first 2 to 3 years. But eventually, I've learned a few tricks, and with lots of practice in my basement, good feed back started to flow in. Then more and more good critics, and less and less booing. For the past 8 years or so, it has been almost nothing but satisfied customers. Of course, there are still a few drunken bastards every now and then, who want to "show you how to do your job right", but I've developped a few ways to get rid of them, too.

Anyways, my best friend had a great thing going at a very popular night club in Montreal, as he was the resident DJ for almost 2 years. I worked occasionaly for him when he was unavailable, and the owner thought I did a good job, too. He was very satisfied with the both of us.

Yet, the owner kept replacing my friend with some fly-by-night, no-good pre-teens, who emptied the club every time they played there. And the owner was always forced to re-hire my friend and I, because we were the only ones capable of keeping the dance floor alive all night long. But, afterwards, the owner was still looking for a few other DJ's to "rotate week-ends" with us.

I never understood this! It had to be some kind of lobbying... Otherwise, how can one explain that the owner wanted to replace a perfectly good team of DJ's, who make people dance, have a good time and BUY LOTS OF DRINKS?? It just makes no sense...

Bottom line, people, most bar owners don't know crap about the fine art of DJing. They think that experience is irrelevant when choosing a DJ. Most times, it's about the money. But sometimes, the owner gets tired of your style and, eventhough you put the dance floor on fire every night, they always find a friend of a friend of a friend who's supposedly better than you...

Internodal.

Posted Thu 28 Jul 05 @ 3:43 am
according to me when entertainers mess up is when their problems begin.

when an entertainer messes up... there's someone in the audience who's thinking "i could have gotten out of that position in a better way"... "i can do better than that" ... "i can do that better than that artist/dj" etc...

to me professionals are supposed to be just that--professionals. they get PAID for being pros. when a dj or an artist's equipment messes up its up to their professionalism to recover from the tight situation and still get the party jumping.
if ur a bedroom dj then ur allowed to mess up. but if ur bein paid (professional) there's no excuse for messing up. coz thats why ur a pro.
being booed or performing weak should never happen if ur being paid. well u cant really expect too much from djs who work for under $100/night.

ive never been booed or never fu..messed up. once my laptop just shut down on its own when i used pcdj. or the screen would just go blank. i quickly recovered from those situations with the mic. they knew what went wrong. i told the club what went wrong but kept them entertained as we waited for the laptop to boot.
--
i think when someone does their job right especially in djing even their enemies wouldnt want to replace them coz they'll just humiliate themselves and make the better dj even look better. well thats what i think. i know there'r some who dont care so long as their gettin paid.
-
with me i grew up listening to the dj who i replaced. in my opinion he's a better dj than me. he was djing wednesday nights. i wanted to do thursdays only. i was happy just working the same club with him coz to me he was a celebrity. my thursday night became the best night of the week. they got rid of him because it costed too much to have him. and told me to take over Wedn. i didnt pull a snake move on him.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 3:56 am
Anonymous ,

Just for the record, the only times I've been booed was when I started in disco-mobile when I was 13, 14 years old, and it mostly happened in school partys. As you might already know, a teenage crowd is absolutely UNFORGIVING whenever you put on a bad song or when you make a mistake... My biggest pay in those days was $50 LOL !!

Hell, it even happened to me last year, at a school party, of course. The crowd wanted nothing but reggae and hip-hop. The minute I tried a bit of house or techno (special request by a few people), it was an automatic "BOOOO !!!!". The difference is, this time I was payed $400 for the gig, so let me tell you, house and techno requests were cut very short !!

To my recall, I've never been booed in a club or bar. I've had one system shutdown one time, because we had troubles with the lighting fixtures and I accidentaly shut off the switch that powered the PC... Fortunately, I had a CD ready for action and it only took 3 seconds to get the music going again.

Internodal.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 3:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)