Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Search improvement

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I would like to see the search function changed to search for all words and not all words together. For example:

If I don't remember the exact name of a song I could type the parts I know (even partial words) and every song containg these letter combinations would appear. If the only thing I remember is that the song has the word "Love" in it, this could be an extensive list. But, if I could search on "Love" and the Genre of "House" this would reduce the list significantly.

Thanks

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 11:45 am
Could you not set up filter folders for each Genre then just search within that folder for "love"??

I know its not exactly what you asked for - but it should work the same.

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 2:44 pm
Filter folders are a workaround but I don't think that's what he's getting at. I'd hate to bring up the word "Serato" but the search engine in Serato does exactly what he's describing. VDJs search engine works okay for me but mainly because the spelling on all my tracks is consistent. But instead of having to type "Flo-ida Ft. Ke$ha - Right Round" or "Flo-rida*Right Round" it would be nice to be able to just type in "Flo Round" or something to narrow the search. I'm not knocking VDJ's search engine, but implementing the proposed wish/suggestion would be a nice cherry on top.

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 3:03 pm
Quote :
I know its not exactly what you asked for - but it should work the same.

I did say it probably wasnt what he ment - but a solution for now.

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 4:44 pm
It's not "a solution for now" because he would have to create many filter folders to cover every search scenario and then try and search within many different filter folders to find what he's looking for. What if he was looking for a "Barenaked Ladies" song but can't remember if the genre is Adult Contempory or Pop or Soft Rock or Ballad, he then would have to have a filter folder for each of those genres and search within all of them until I found it. The whole point of the proposed search feature is to be able to easily search globally and not have to navigate through various filter folders. So in short, although you were just trying to help, your solution is not a solution at all, if anything it's more complicated.

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 6:04 pm
Fine. I'll simply shut up in future. It was an idea! Jesus! Good to see you coming up with some constructive advice. At no point did I say it was perfect, at no point did I say this is what you want. The simple answer is at the moment you can't have this feature but filter folders MIGHT be an alternative!!

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 6:40 pm
the Serato engine sucks because you have to pick on a folder you want to search in or you click on "all" atleast with VDJ it will search all of your folders no matter which 1 is highlighted...........and what if you forget which folder you hae the song in?? I think it would be the same as forgetting what gerne you tagged it as. Also I mean how often do you forget the name of a track? For me I might remember a part of the title but when I see it I'll know it type of deal happens. And your saying "Flo Round" wouldnt narrow your search (@dizzyrocks)?? I type in parts all the time and it narrows it down pretty well for me, yes its not perfect but..........................lets just see what the team does.

Huey

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 7:10 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
Fine. I'll simply shut up in future. It was an idea! Jesus! Good to see you coming up with some constructive advice. At no point did I say it was perfect, at no point did I say this is what you want. The simple answer is at the moment you can't have this feature but filter folders MIGHT be an alternative!!

Why are you so angry?

Posted Tue 01 Jun 10 @ 3:32 am
beatbreaker1 wrote :
the Serato engine sucks because you have to pick on a folder you want to search in or you click on "all" atleast with VDJ it will search all of your folders no matter which 1 is highlighted...........and what if you forget which folder you hae the song in?? I think it would be the same as forgetting what gerne you tagged it as. Also I mean how often do you forget the name of a track? For me I might remember a part of the title but when I see it I'll know it type of deal happens. And your saying "Flo Round" wouldnt narrow your search (@dizzyrocks)?? I type in parts all the time and it narrows it down pretty well for me, yes its not perfect but..........................lets just see what the team does.

Huey

Yes, VDJ has that going for it, but why not combine the Serato type engine's functionality with VDJ's current search engine.

Posted Tue 01 Jun 10 @ 3:33 am
dizzyrocks2001 wrote :
Why are you so angry?

Sorry mate - had a bad day yesterday and i suppose took it out on the forum.

At the end of the day i agree with everything you say, but i knew that my solution wasn't what he was asking for. I merely thought it could be a work-a-round for the time being. You don't agree and that's fine - but at the time it seemed like a fair and possible solution to me.

I have never used Serato so i have no idea how their search engine works. But as beatbreaker1 has said you can do part searching in VDJ.

Anyway - apologies for my previous post.

Posted Tue 01 Jun 10 @ 3:40 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The idea of using filterfolders for each Genre is quite stupid (sorry Dan ;) as in VDJ you already have a "Genre" folder in the folder list.

In VDJ you can do partial search using wildcards: "?" and "*"

In the search options (bulls-eye next to the search bar) if you select "filename" and you search for "flo*round" you will find "Flo-Rida - Right Round"
Or if you search for "flo*rida" it will find all occurences of:
Flow rida
Flo rida
Flo-rida
Florida...

If you wish to search by a trackname and by genre, type the trackname, then sort the results by genre by clicking on the "Genre" header in the Browser.

Posted Tue 01 Jun 10 @ 12:49 pm
@JeremK - Thanks for the suggestion. I did not realize that wildcards would work. While this isn't exactly what I was looking for, it will definitely ease my frustration. For the time I can't remember if it's "Barenaked Ladies" or "Bearnaked Lady" (or some other weird combo) I can do a search on "b*naked*lad*" and still get what I need. Do Boolean expressions work? That may be an easier work around for the programmers.

@ other posters - Thank you all for your suggestions. I probably didn't give the best example but your efforts to help are appreciated.

Posted Tue 01 Jun 10 @ 6:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)