Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Video playback

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

The current code for video playback in VDJ seems (to me) to be not yet very well optimized. Although that can be expected for a first public release I think that the 'go and buy yourself a bigger system' response is not appropriate. As it is it is way more expensive to upgrade your system then it is to go and buy another DJ product which also does video and does is much better (right now) on more 'common' hardware.

Case in point, on my 'work' system (P4HT/2.8GHZ, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9600 video card) VDJ manages to squeeze about 10fps (or less) out of the system. Playing the same video through another (as yet to remain unnamed) DJ program gives much better results, I would guess about 18-20 fps. Transitions on VDJ are laughable, on 'X' they are useable..

So I would hope coming updates will also provide us with optimized code for video playback which will lower the required spec to a more 'DJ friendly' level. Although anyone serious about video should get a serious system to do so, I also feel there is room for improvement in the code..

Posted Sun 22 May 05 @ 2:02 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No teamer said to buy another system.

VDJ is (I think) the only software which allows these functions with video files (scratching, cues, loops) and it's the first release with this option.

The whole team is very attentive to users's comments.

It's not easy for the dev team to test the code with all possible config.

VDJ is always better; please be a little patient.
Most of us really believe in VDJ power. It would be the number one soon.

Posted Sun 22 May 05 @ 2:52 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
We have nothing to hide here Paul.
Shameless plug or not, I't be good to know what program you are referring to.

I have extensive experience with Tricerasoft Elite, and yes it does a better job with the video.
But, it doesn't come close to what VDJ does with mixing, not even close.
Even if Elite had 100 transitions, it wouldn't touch it.

You are one who has been through the trenches with development, you know how it goes.
You also have to admit that for a first release, it didn't cause any forum meltdowns.
It did however, raise the bar which for some of us was taken in stride because we know what it takes to do video reliably.

I would fully expect to see some improvements in all areas in the near future.
And having seen them in action since 03, I would expect it won't be too long.

Posted Sun 22 May 05 @ 3:20 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I bought a p4 2.8 a couple years ago. To expect three year old technology to remain on the cutting edge is insane. You are correct Rick vdj is the only software out there that will give you this much control. I've been using it since 1.0 and to see how far its come is amazing. There are things this program can do that are light years ahead of anyone. The first video realease is here this is only a taste of the good things to come and yes there are many as vdj continues to widen the gap between its competition. Pcdj has sat idlely by promising its users new features. In the past two years this software has never let me down an continues to exceed my expectations with countless innovations.

I recomend keeping systems up to date, yes its expensve but a worth while investment especially if djing is your primary income. Take pride in your tools of the trade sometimes inexpensive isn't always the best option.

The team is working very hard behind the scenes to bring us better faster newer features. Remeber to took pcdj red 3 years to get to the point it is and there is still no replacement from them that is better. I would never even consider going back to a software that limits me with vdj their are no limits sometimes its as easy as asking for a feature. A lot of the things in vdj I've asked for and they put them in.

And clax vdj is number one in my book and that's good enough for me.

I just don't feel the need to justify vdj to anyone. I'm getting good video results and you are not. Could the faster system have something to do with it? Could it be the better video card. Surely not. Its gotta be bad code if it won't run on my celeron p3. Thats just laughable.

Posted Sun 22 May 05 @ 3:33 am
Hold up a second.. I was merely trying to make the point we should not just slam a new (expensive) gfx card in our systems to make video work. And it is obvious the VDJ team is, like many other small companies, not capable of holding on to features like this untill fully developed. they need the input from the user base, which is perfectly normal and acceptable. It appears they will and do actualy use the input they get, which is very good!

And clax.. As it is it apppears most users have underspecced machines for proper video work wit the video implementation as is.. Looking at other programs, like MixMeister, there appears to be some room for improvement in the code, which I am sure will be found and used. I am not being negative here guys.. just asking around.. and wondering.

No-one here brought PCDJ into the mix, we all are aware of the stagnation in their progress, they're still struggeling to get their basic player in order, by the time they do everyone will be two steps ahead.. But that's ouside the scope of this topic.

While I must say I see VDJ has come a long way since it first showed up, it is currently not my weapon of choice for gigging.. the only thing it has (for me) over djDecks, which I use now, is video. I also make heavey use of vinyl so I would have to wait for the update to come to fix teh crashing issues anyway..

But it's looking good and VDJ just moved into the #2 slot for me.. ;^)

ANd remember while it's is easy enough for me to go out and buy a superduper new system I like to get down in the treches and sueeze the best I can out of my 'outdated' system >:^}

Posted Sun 22 May 05 @ 11:20 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Hey I agree with both of you guys.......

Jason....Back away from the keyboard and repeat after me.....Aruba......Aruba....Aruba.

Paul makes some legitimate points, particularly about fully developed releases.
And, as much as you hate OTS, they refuses to release until it if perfect and they have many many happy customers still using antiquated copy, lined up out of sight waiting.

As far as user base, it has become apparent to me that there are very few VJ's out there, which isn't a bad thing.
But, I feel you have to have VJ's in the field testing it in live conditions and I'm not sure now if they have done that based on the results that most are experiencing.
You also need a variety of formats to experiment with and support what you state about what will playback and what won't.

Paul,

I thought you were comparing this to some other video program that is on the functional level of VDJ, certainly not Mixmiester.
Naturally VDJ is #1, but #2 for me is Elite but it's not the same level of control, not even close.
Nobody else has a controller working with video that I know of.

It hasn't brought any major problems to the table, and it isn't the cause of some widespread crashing problem. It's only going to get better, you have to know that.
Now tell us/them what the problem is, and how to fix it........lol

Agreed,
It should be able to open and present files in the same quality as WMP or Winamp or Elite or anyone of them, which yes it can't do YET.
But you can bet it will, and that is what my money is on.

Posted Sun 22 May 05 @ 2:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)