Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: ready boost

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

it would be nice if vdj could somehow make use of the ready boost feature of usb devices i have been testing them lately for a project and noticed that no data is written to a readyboost enabled drive.

Posted Tue 16 Mar 10 @ 4:16 pm
As far as I am aware Ready Boost usage is controlled by Windows and is used as a disk cache. Therefore if it's needed Windows will write to it. VDJ sits on top of the Windows sub systems and therefore does not need to do anything specific to use Ready Boost.

If Windows is not engaging Ready Boost when VDJ is operating it's obviously not needed.

Roy

Posted Tue 16 Mar 10 @ 4:22 pm
yer, it uses it to cache directory structure in vdj but woundered if there was any way to get it to pre load vids to a usb drive to speed up processing on slower systems (mine not being the fastest ;) ) ive done some testing with it and its a bit of a white elephant, some programs it uses the technology heavely (3d gaming) and others it very rearly uses it (vdj). ive also noticed some errors in the audio when im using it so might not be as good an idea as i thought! i ended up ripping out the drive to see if it made a difference on my test system and without it there as an instantly noticable difference in sound quality

Posted Tue 16 Mar 10 @ 5:12 pm
The issue is that Windows decides what uses it. From some quick reading it appears that Ready Boost is best suited to smaller files which can be read quicker on flash drives. Windows diverts larger files back to the hard drive, so the chances of audio, let alone video files being "boosted" would be very unlikely.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Tue 16 Mar 10 @ 5:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)