Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: 320kbps and Lossless

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

cubasicHome userMember since 2009
Hey guys

This question has probably been asked hundreds of times, but this one has abit more detail to it

All my music collection is in mp3 and every track is 320kbps CBR (downloaded from beatport and other places so they are true 320kbps cbr)

the question is if im going to be djing in a big club, do you think its worth scrapping all these mp3s and buying new losless WAV files or will the difference in quality be negligible and just not worth the money/effort?

also on another note i recently bought platinum notes (for people who dont know its a program that fixed dynamics/clipped peaks e.c.t in music files) and one of the options is to convert an mp3 to WAV, will this just be a waste of time with no quality gain if i do this or will this conversion option bring the file to true WAV quality (p.s. it writes a new file, it does not modify the old file)

thanks

Posted Thu 18 Feb 10 @ 5:03 pm
a.) once converted a music file can not be "upconverted" to a better sounding quality.. MP3 works by "taking away" parts of the music that the normal human ear would not notice if gone.. (in theory).. nothing can "replace" that missing information once removed.

b.) the difference between a 320 kbps mp3 and a wave file is neglible.. Audiophiles with a trained ear & expensive equipment CAN hear the difference.. bar patrons listening to standard PA system? not so much..

Posted Fri 19 Feb 10 @ 12:34 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Agreed, I am an audiophile with a big Krell, Velodyne and Vienna system in my living room. Can I hear a difference, yes. But 99% of the public does not even care if they do hear small issues.

I was at a club last week listening to speakers crying for mercy (BIG DISTORTION) and the DJ just kept on pushing them. Not one person said a thing and for the most part the floor was going good. This guy even failed miserably at beat matching (AC/DC into Lady Gaga! and many other bad choices). Nobody cared except for me and a friend that is also an audiophile, while both of our wives were on the dance floor having fun.

Goes to show, it does not pay off to be an audio snob, we are never happy.

Posted Fri 19 Feb 10 @ 2:30 pm
The person person in a nightclub is DJ out to hav a good time... My wife hates taking me out ... lol

If the DJ is bad, I can't help but listen harder and critise more to those I'm with!!! Only after the alcohol has taken over do I stop noticing.

On the other hand, if th DJ is good, I have to go congratuate him on a good job. So my wife loses out both ways!!!

Roy

Posted Sat 20 Feb 10 @ 11:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)