Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Plugging A Mixer Into My Comp

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

FenianHome userMember since 2005
Do i need to buy an adaptor so i can plug my mixer into my comp to use with virtual dj?
what do i have to do?

Posted Mon 02 May 05 @ 6:05 am
I have a Numark DXM01 mixer by the way...

Posted Mon 02 May 05 @ 8:12 am
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What kind of soundcard do you have? Mixers are generally RCA plugs while many soundcards aren't. They sell adaptors for that. You need to have a soundcard that enables at least two separate line outputs. Then you just take them into the line in of your mixer, again depending on your soundcard you may need some more adaptors.

Posted Mon 02 May 05 @ 8:24 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
You need a ordinary C-Media 4 channel card (10e) or Sound Blaster 5.1 Live! (30e) and you are rocking! This are PCI cards!

Posted Tue 03 May 05 @ 1:27 am
I didnt realise that i could plug my speaker port output into my channel 1 on my mixer! i got 2 x rca - linein leeds and so i plugged them into my channel 1 and 2 ports on my mixer, and it works great!!!

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 11:30 am
OK i have a new problem... I can get everything to work, but when i try to record a set, it only records whats playing through VDJ and so it doesnt notice any of the things i do on my mixer... when i turn the volume up and down on each channel using my mixer, the bar on VDJ stays at the top, even though the output through the speakers goes up and down....

Therefore, is there any way i can record a set on VDJ using my mixer?
I hope this makes sense!

I have a 4.1 soundcard and have plugged the green speaker port into my channel 1, and then the black port to channel 2, and then plugged my master output from my mixer into the back of my speakers...

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 11:41 am
ZezkeHome userMember since 2005
Connect a lineout from your mixer into the lçinein of your soundcard and record that with an external program

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 12:15 pm
You have to know that when you mix through your mixer to line-in you will not have that good sound quality like when you mix in VDJ... Quality of your mixer & quality of sound card (Line-in)...

But, if you want, you can use Sound Forge for recording :) That's what I do with all other software... I can't use that with VDJ DEMO :(

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 12:20 pm
Yes what u both have said are right... i have connected my record output from my mixer to my line-in input in my soundcard.... i use a different program to record (CD Wave) and the recording volume is WAY too high... i have the line-in volume setting at MIN, but i want to record with a decent level, while still having my mixer level at 0db... but i cant find out how to turn the soundcard vol down so that when i record it doesnt record at a really loud level...??

also, when i try and turn the MID HI and LOW effects up on my mixer, it becomes really distorted :/

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 12:25 pm
Look for your recording options in windows and adjust the volume there vs. on the soundcard...I believe that's how I fixed my problem when I had it. I use a SB soundcard for recording and a maya 44 for playing. It works perfect but I did have to mess around with sound levels on the card and on windows.

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 3:38 pm
Look for your recording options in windows and adjust the volume there vs. on the soundcard...I believe that's how I fixed my problem when I had it. I use a SB soundcard for recording and a maya 44 for playing. It works perfect but I did have to mess around with sound levels on the card and on windows.

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 3:38 pm
I had the same problems until I used the soft that came with SB external card I bought for recording.

Posted Fri 06 May 05 @ 3:40 pm
Yes i did adjust the windows volume, thats how i reduced the linein volume down to min... but if thers no other way i can fix the sound (without having to buy anything) then ill have to just play at a lower level on my mixer lol

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 5:13 am
I have a new problem, when im using my mixer, and the output is being played through the speakers (i.e. the audio from the second deck which is the track being played), when i try to load a new track onto the left deck, the green "1" lights up next to the bpm counter and the master output from the second deck (the current track being played) stops being heard through the speakers, and i have to make the "2" green again in order for the audio to play through the speakers. Is there anyway i can change the settings so that loading a track does not change which number is green and which is red?

Posted Mon 16 May 05 @ 7:48 am
Not positive I'm following you. It doesn't matter which deck is "green or red in regards to sound. The sound is controlled by the mixer crossfader. Your VDJ crossfader needs to be set in the middle and then your external mixer controls which deck is heard. There may be a way to change the settings to control which is green or red but it doesn't have anything to do with sound.

Posted Mon 16 May 05 @ 3:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)