Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Touchscreen Capability for Windows 7

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I think this is a no-brainer - what DJ wouldn't give his eye-tooth to be able to control their decks simply by touching the screen! I don't how many times I've wanted to touch my screen to start or stop the decks since I started using Virtual DJ/Cue 6 months ago (just to let you know - I've been using physical CD decks for the past 20 years). I know, I know - we have MIDI controllers that do the same thing, but wouldn't it be nice not to have to connect another device to our PC?

When touchscreen capability becomes available in Windows 7 (late 2009, early 2010), it will revolutionze the way we interact with PCs. I, for one, would gladly give up this mouse/keyboard stuff (it "gets in the way" of me playing music). Just look at what the i-pod/i-phone has done for music/communications.

If implemented correctly (I hope Numark is busing working/testing on this NOW), this will be a boon to DJers and a knockout to the competition.

P.S. Of course, this means buying new screens (or laptops). Maybe this feature would be the excuse people in general (not just DJs) need to upgrade their PC's, and that, in turn, could help kickstart our economy...?

Posted Sun 16 Aug 09 @ 3:06 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
It's already possible, has been for a long time and doesn't need Windows 7. Touchscreen technology isn't for me personally in the DJ booth though I'm afraid - but there are people on here using it.

Posted Sun 16 Aug 09 @ 5:26 pm
Im very sure Numark is not getting into the business of developing touchscreen overlays for monitors.

that is the technology you need to look for, and quite certainly the music industry will not be moving into this line of product.

HOWEVER...

PC develops are already making products that you can aither stick on the front of your monitor, or with a bit of screwdriver, you can get a touch insert (which goes inside your monitor)

also, so far ive not seen any multitouch overlays, and ive not seen many widescreen overlays.

if you do a google for toughscreen overlays, you will find one for a 15in monitor, a 17in, a 19inch

there are also larver overlays eg 32in plus, but these are designed for conference or classroom use.

ps. Numark is not associated to Atomix exept by the fact that Numark 'licences' parts of VirtualDJ for the Numark CUE software. This forum is not Numark, and neither am I in any way connected to Numark (or Atomix either)
hope that closes that.

Posted Sun 16 Aug 09 @ 5:30 pm
HP makes an all in one cpu touch screen which i currenlty own. I have VDJ loaded on it but i dont use it. VDJ works just fine, I just dont feel comfortable using it on my gigs. Although my kids love it. The interact with VDJ & touchscreen much better than the mouse.

Posted Mon 17 Aug 09 @ 10:15 am
SBDJ wrote :
It's already possible, has been for a long time and doesn't need Windows 7. Touchscreen technology isn't for me personally in the DJ booth though I'm afraid - but there are people on here using it.

Exactly, the only difference with Windows 7 is the drivers will be included..

Posted Mon 17 Aug 09 @ 11:45 am
I would buy the HP touchpannel PC tomorrow, if they put a connector for an extenal monitor.
This will allow me to connect to the screens in the bar for Karaoke
(Just like i do with my conventional PC)

:)

Posted Tue 18 Aug 09 @ 5:04 pm
Yup thats the sad part of those systems. With no external monitor you are better off buying a touchscreen and using it. I run a touchscreen and use a midi controller for crossfader and I LOVE IT. But multi cursor support is what is talked about in Win 7 only works on certain monitors.

Posted Wed 19 Aug 09 @ 4:04 pm
I have an older version of the hps all in one touchscreen. It has an external vga out. Its the first versions that they came out with. My screen is the 19 in widescreen. AMD processor with all the goodies including tv tuner and remote with PVR.

Posted Wed 19 Aug 09 @ 8:20 pm
discobrian24 wrote :
But multi cursor support is what is talked about in Win 7 only works on certain monitors.

I saw a video on that on TV..
Basically (the multi-cursor) allows you too use the screen like an iphone screen..
IE: to make a window bigger you would "grab" two corners and drag them both out. Or you can draw with two hands or "pens"..

Pretty cool looking.. and because of it I think we will see more computer systems with no mouse, no keyboard..
IE: kiosks at mall, virtual menus at bars/restaurants etc etc

Posted Wed 19 Aug 09 @ 11:51 pm
Actually you can use a usb to vga card for the touchscreen

Posted Sat 29 Aug 09 @ 1:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)