Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: COME ON!!!!!!! This is what NEED....... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

dwainPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For the next version for VDJ, the thing we need thats is VERY VERY important is the ABILITY to WRITE ID3 TAGS........I love my VDJ Software.....but I DJ every weekend at different club,lounge,venues thru out NYC, and Clubs are using different DJ software. So what I'm doing is compiling crates for different software like Serato scratch live. I did all my work thru VDJ with my BPM,Comment etc (Some DJ SOFTWARE ARE NOT ACCURATE WITH THE BMP LIKE VDJ =)). I wish i could write my tags and when I Import my music file into Serato it will read all my tags from VDJ.....I also have Traktor Scratch and it can write tags, so when I Import music file into DJ software like Serato and VDJ it read the tags i wrote in Traktor

SO dev team can you PLEASE make the new version be abale to Write ID3 TAGS.....it would just be easier for me to have all my work i done in VDJ readed in Serato or etc.

Thank you DJ REDEYE NYC

PS VDJ STILL RULE

Posted Tue 05 May 09 @ 3:10 am
This has been asked for countless times now, it is one thing that sadly puts me off VDJ - such a basic request to have an option to write to tags that for some reason they just won't implement. I understand the reasons for using an XML database but I just can't understand why there is not an ability to write back to tags or an inbuilt database editor to allow batch changing multiple records at once. So close but yet so far.

BPM Studio had these basic features back in 2001 .......

Posted Tue 05 May 09 @ 3:34 am
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
...and I persoanlly hate tags so to each his own.

Posted Tue 05 May 09 @ 12:05 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

dwain wrote :
the thing we need thats is VERY VERY important is the ABILITY to WRITE ID3 TAGS.......

Yes I agree. It is a feature that is missing from the software for sure.

It has been asked for many times, maybe the Dev team will incorporate it into the software one day!!!!

Posted Tue 05 May 09 @ 12:19 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
this was the first thing i asked for if i remember rightly when i bought the software, but like everything else in life things have to be prioritised so here's hoping it is nearly time for this request to be heard...

Posted Tue 05 May 09 @ 12:58 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

There is a while since VirtualDJ Pro write ID3 tags for the last time, I think it was version 3.1. But it will be nice to see it again, hope Dev Team has time to fix it.

Good Luck!

Posted Tue 05 May 09 @ 8:10 pm
Yes, VDJ had ability to write tags before (v4.3 ???). This feature has been removed. It's been explained that new database can store tags for video files that normally cannot have tags. But we still want to be able to use mp3, wma tags.
+1

Posted Tue 05 May 09 @ 11:33 pm
dwainPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I remember when i had VDJ 3.1v you could tag.........Will right now i am punishing to get my Info i saved on VDJ(bmp,comment,edit titles) to read in Serato and Traktor. Once again the only reason I'm using these other program, is when i go to the club and i cant set up my console, I'll have to used THEIR program, and thats why i'm setting up my playlist for these other program. But it's like i'm starting from scratch, with the editing and finding the correct bmp for these mp3 file in these program.

I have 1TB of music set/edit/compilegood to go in VDJ Database...i just WISH i could write tags thru VDJ for the 1TB and I'll be SOOOOO Happy, when i throw that 1TB into Serato/Traktor and seeing my tags in those program =)

Thanks DJ REDEYE NYC

Posted Wed 06 May 09 @ 1:30 am
AND YOU CALL YOUR SELF DJ-S by looking at the bpm?! use your ears dont look at the bpm try to beat match the songs wit your ears and hands cus this is a point of the DJ..i guess if you look at the bpm then u look at the beat greed or wave form the one that is moving? that is sad.

Posted Wed 06 May 09 @ 5:06 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
DJ Skrib wrote :
AND YOU CALL YOUR SELF DJ-S by looking at the bpm?! use your ears dont look at the bpm try to beat match the songs wit your ears and hands cus this is a point of the DJ..i guess if you look at the bpm then u look at the beat greed or wave form the one that is moving? that is sad.

A purist preach from someone who doesn't like working with turntables and wants to run with MT on all the time is a bit hypocritical.

One thing to bear in mind - the correct BPM in the software is critical if you are using BPM linked audio or video effects. I bet you didn't consider that before you posted your bitchy comment? ;)

Whilst I may not like or use all the mixing assistance features, it's other peoples choice to use them. Please respect that and think before you post.

Posted Wed 06 May 09 @ 5:19 am
as professional dj's we have bought the software and will always want to optimise any feature we can to give us the best possible use out of the software we have chosen to use, myself i'm more interested in the information regarding year and genre in a file as opposed to the bpm, now another user may have the opposite need to mine but having the information available from the tags will mean it can be read in any programme not just vdj.

Posted Wed 06 May 09 @ 7:29 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
DJ Skrib wrote :

I bet somewhere on the internet, there is a forum for builders, plumbers and carpenters. One of them will mention his vari-speed cordless hammer drill, and some apprentice boy will message back to tell him he's cheating, that you're only a proper tradesman if you use hand tools, just like they did back in the day, those guys were keepin' it real.

Posted Wed 06 May 09 @ 7:39 am
Yes to write ID3 TAGS would be nice....

Please, pretty, pretty please?

DJ TAO :)

Posted Wed 06 May 09 @ 3:35 pm
A purist preach from someone who doesn't like working

YEAG i odnt like workin on it beacouse of the changing key of the song..and i my self that is 18 years old know how to beat match on turntables,CD and the serato and the vdj and the torq so i think that it wasnt a bitchy comment ot was real...the fact that i dont like the pitch sound on the turn table its just a mater of..jow can i put this hmmm,,,, i like the bas to be the c4 note not the B2 if u get what i mean

Posted Thu 07 May 09 @ 4:14 pm
Do you also reject cars with power steering, anti lock brakes, electric traction control? If the job of the dj was just to beatmatch then everyone on this forum would be out of a job - computers can do this to a high degree of accuracy. Ever used an electric screwdriver? Sure you could accomplish the same things with a manual but the convenience is useful, it gives you less to worry about and more time to concentrate on what is actually important.

But back to the topic, ID3 tag writing will be useful +1

Posted Thu 07 May 09 @ 11:02 pm
Having your tracks BPMed is good so that you can scroll through your music to find out what comparable.

Like Tayla I'm also more bothered about working on my collection making it as tight and as accurate as my CD collection once was.

When you BPM you songs didn't there used to be a feature that gave you the option to bpm and normalize at the same time?

Posted Tue 12 May 09 @ 6:27 pm
DJmgaPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Another vote for ID3 tag writing in VDJ.

(According to the VDJ manual, the reasons for storing this info in VDJ's own database is for speed of searching, etc., coupled with the fact that VDJ can also store these data elements for video files that don't support tags. I would hope that speed in this area is not compromised to facilitate ID3 tag writing... an external/add-on utility that can read VDJ tags and write the ID3 tags on-request might be a half-way house. Ie. something that can be run, from time to time, to export VDJ's tags to ID3's. Ok, it's not the dynamic tag updating being asked for, but would be better than nothing, if any aspect of performance would be an issue with full on-the-fly ID3 writing support.)

-Martin.

Posted Tue 12 May 09 @ 9:17 pm
mixmeister and others have this facility and is user controlled without detriment to the performance of the programme, besides i wouldn't want to be messing with files while gigging.

Posted Wed 13 May 09 @ 4:18 am
I used BPM Studio long before VDJ, and it used id3 tags with no problems. It was quick, reliable and also allowed multiple tag records to be updated en masse. For example if you downloaded 20 new songs, you could select them all and batch tag them all with 2009 and edit and the tags would update at once.

The way VDJ works is so draconian, I have to id3 tag my songs seperately then update them again in the VDJ xml database which is just stupid IMO. If there was a simple option in VDJ to allow mass tagging (database editor) then export the info to id3 that would solve it.

VDJ is advanced in some areas but plainly behind in others!

Posted Wed 13 May 09 @ 5:33 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
kradcliffe wrote :
The way VDJ works is so draconian, I have to id3 tag my songs seperately then update them again in the VDJ xml database which is just stupid IMO. If there was a simple option in VDJ to allow mass tagging (database editor) then export the info to id3 that would solve it.

As you already know, VDJ will READ your tags if you edit externally. And you have an option to make this automatic when VirtualDJ sees the files for the first time. So, I don't see what is so 'draconian' about that.

Now, I understand the desire to have writing capabilities for storing the information that is updated by VDJ written back to the files. Like - BPM, Comments, Key, etc. And yes, there are improvements that can be make in the 'editor' capabilities.

All great reasons above for justifying the need.

Posted Wed 13 May 09 @ 10:34 am
56%