Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: new browser look and feel - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

i tried that software before commenting on it. and now i've tried your software. tagscanner is so much better.

and the best thing of all. tagscanner is freeware.. FREE

both other id3 editors cost money.

so there you go.

have you tried tagscanner?

Posted Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 7:21 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Bear in mind it is an opinion, everyone is entitled to one, everyone is entitled to disagree with on - but an opinion is not a fact.

Tag & Rename has far better file format support than TagScanner - it doesn't seem to support common video file formats. I'm not a big fan of it's GUI either.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 12:02 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
djkz wrote :

Yes, I tried them all.

When I first started with VirtualDJ I used a free mp3 tagging program, but to cut a long story short and for some reason it messed up over 2,000 of my tags

So I spent a few weeks looking around for a good Tagging program, to correct these tags, found Tag&Rename and used it since, so I can say I've had experience with tagging programs, lol

SBDJ wrote :

Tag & Rename has far better file format support than TagScanner - it doesn't seem to support common video file formats.

I agree

Posted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 12:36 am
jimmy b wrote :
djkz wrote :

Yes, I tried them all.

When I first started with VirtualDJ I used a free mp3 tagging program, but to cut a long story short and for some reason it messed up over 2,000 of my tags

So I spent a few weeks looking around for a good Tagging program, to correct these tags, found Tag&Rename and used it since, so I can say I've had experience with tagging programs, lol

SBDJ wrote :

Tag & Rename has far better file format support than TagScanner - it doesn't seem to support common video file formats.

I agree

mp3tag editor is free.. and if you messed the tags up you didnt read the directions... i havent seen the ones you guys use but the one i suggested does support all of the formats, for read and write including lyrics etc.. it can be used to set batch commands (i.e replace "%" with "what ever you want" in ALL tags, or all file names etc etc ) it works for me (also reads the ipod directory for that matter.. i use my ipod as a external HD with vdj) i was simply giving giving some advice on what seemed to be a long drawn issue with NO suggestions.. you do with it what you will .. T

Posted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 9:32 am

As I said, I've tried them all.

I'm not bothered whether it's free or you have to pay for the program

Tag&Rename is my No1 and preferred chioce, and it does me. So I'll stuck with it!!!!!

Posted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 9:46 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
cheers

Posted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 11:31 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I have an idea that would make searching through my 14000+ files much easier. When I view my music folder in VDJ (or browse my computer files), I can't type the first letter of a folder name and jump down to that level. For instance, if I want Metalica I have to scroll through at least 4000 folders. In Itunes and Windows explorer, if i select a folder in the section that I want to search I can just hit "M" and jump to the first M named folder. This shortens my scroling by about 3980 folders. A simple feature and significant savings in time for me anyway.

I know i have a controler but I also use a wireless keyboard in my lap. I am a beginner so anything that can cut my time down will be awsome and this may help others too. The search works decent but there are always some tags that it does not read in my library at least. The folder search just seems more reliable and it is what I use to. After using VDJ for a few weeks, this is the only feature that I would REALLY like to see. Keep up the good work VDJ staff!

Posted Sat 07 Mar 09 @ 6:09 pm
you're dealing with 14,000 files. i'm dealing with 180,000 files.

i'm guessing your music is sorted by artist.

reading tags and filepath is so crucial. i haven't organized my library in some time now. so it's getting way out of control. and it's usb. so, double lag.

when i try to search for something, vdj lags for a few seconds, before it starts responding. worries me that vdj is going to crash any minute now. don't get me started on how long it takes vdj to load. over 2 minutes. imagine what happens if it crashes.

if vdj can help me handle 180,000 files efficiently, then your 14,000 files and 4,000 folders will be easy to manage as well.

in the mean time follow these easy instructions for fast folder search.

right click on the circle icon [right of Search] and enable filename and filepath. [check = enabled serach; uncheck = disable search.]

Posted Sat 07 Mar 09 @ 6:38 pm
DHoude wrote :
I have an idea that would make searching through my 14000+ files much easier. When I view my music folder in VDJ (or browse my computer files), I can't type the first letter of a folder name and jump down to that level. For instance, if I want Metalica I have to scroll through at least 4000 folders. In Itunes and Windows explorer, if i select a folder in the section that I want to search I can just hit "M" and jump to the first M named folder. This shortens my scroling by about 3980 folders. A simple feature and significant savings in time for me anyway.

I know i have a controler but I also use a wireless keyboard in my lap. I am a beginner so anything that can cut my time down will be awsome and this may help others too. The search works decent but there are always some tags that it does not read in my library at least. The folder search just seems more reliable and it is what I use to. After using VDJ for a few weeks, this is the only feature that I would REALLY like to see. Keep up the good work VDJ staff!

correct me if i wrong but aren't your numbers screwed up, should there be another 0 in there, otherwise you got about 3 to 4 files to a folder. besides that even if you did add a 0 you would still only have 35 tunes to a folder, you got 4,000 folders for christ sake... you need a secretary.

i think you guys seriously need to think about thinning those tunes out, you must have some crap in there, no one needs that many files, your carrying more files than BBC World Wide Radio...

Posted Sat 07 Mar 09 @ 7:07 pm
well first we have the mainstream promo only collection
then we have napsters version of billboard's top charts
then we have a bunch of artists world wide
then we have a bunch of music we never heard of until the client requested it.
then we have duplicates in different folders

it all adds up

Posted Sat 07 Mar 09 @ 9:20 pm
yeah but i continually get rid of the dead wood, no hopers from the new releases and even the songs an alien wouldn't ask for...

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 4:16 am
djkz - Thanks for the tip, it was actually already set up to do that. Some of my tags are not being read properly (artist but no song title, vice versa or noting entirely). I did not know it browsed the folders like that though, I thought it just searched the ID3 tags that it scanned when I added that folder to the search database, that is why I thought I had to use the folder view. My idea would just jump through the folder view on the left faster. Nothing teribly complex though, just a simple plus (or should be simple anyway).

As far as estimating how many files I have in each folder, I know I have about 13,769 files is the only thing I am sure of (thanks iTunes). I am a complete beginner (did one wedding for a friend and DJ for a haunted hayride) and I am trying to get into the buisness. I just know that I have to scroll allot, 4,000 folders was an estimate. I can manually count them all for you if you want me to:? My suggestion was just that, how many files I have in each folder has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 9:44 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
If you have a list of 4000 root folders in the browser, you really need to look at how you manage your music ;)

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 11:27 am
DHoude wrote :
I just know that I have to scroll allot, 4,000 folders was an estimate.

Why have that many to start with.

I have about 15000 files DHouda, but I only have them stored in just 9 folders. You are just creating more work for yourself having that many folders

SBDJ wrote :
If you have a list of 4000 root folders in the browser, you really need to look at how you manage your music ;)

I agree with Scott here

Doing some Maths, (13769 files divided by 4000 folders) it works out that you have about on average 3.5 files in each folder, to me that's abit daft.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 11:51 am
as i said, hire a secretary... while you dj

think it's a case of "how big is your folder"... lol

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 12:58 pm
as far as tagging is concerned, the program you use to create them is probably writing a different version then vdj is reading.

i use tagscanner to read and write "complete" out.

that way, all versions of the tag are read the same.

never ever use vdj to edit tags. vdj tag edit does not change the file, so it's completely useless.. in my opinion.

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 1:25 pm
DHoude wrote :
I just know that I have to scroll allot, 4,000 folders was an estimate.

Actually if you did the math off the 13,769 files that I told you about in the second post it works out to be 3.4425 files per folder, not 3.5, get it straight! So I asked windows to count for me and I have 2,113 folders so that math does not work either. Which all you calulator lovers other are probably reaching for is 6.5163274964505442498816848083294 files per folder. There I was wrong and you proved it to me, this completly negates the need for this feature that we could all benifit from so I guess I wasted your time.

My folders are named with the artist name and it was my personal library unitl my first DJ gig last October. I have an ESTIMATED 7000 heavy metal and death metal files that will not be used in a wedding so I will just delete all that. But wait, I like that stuff and it is good for scaring adults and kids at a HAUNTED HAYRIDE. So as you can see I do a wide variety of gigs, plus it is MY MUSIC, I am not just going to through out all the music that I like just because people can't dance to it at a wedding. Point is that I don't care how many folders that I have and neither should you. You may also want to read what you quote, I did say estimate which implies a gues of some sort not an exact count. As far as the feature, it could have been simple and good to use. I use it many times a day in windows explorer and itunes.

Care to argue about my spelling now mom?

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 2:42 pm
djkz wrote :
as far as tagging is concerned, the program you use to create them is probably writing a different version then vdj is reading.

i use tagscanner to read and write "complete" out.

that way, all versions of the tag are read the same.

never ever use vdj to edit tags. vdj tag edit does not change the file, so it's completely useless.. in my opinion.

Sorry about the multiple posts, can't get this multiple quote thing straight. Thanks for taking me seriously, I agree, it does not seem to write ID3s to the song and that does seem odd. Itunes was, or at least I thought it was. There are not many files that are screwed up, but with as many as I have, I will just add the data as I find them. But there was 1 time (so far) that I was looking for a song that I know I had and search would not find it. I went through the folder view and because of how "organized" it is, I found the file, selected it to play but all the artist and song info were missing. I just thought the search only went off the ID3 as I mentioned earlier, I had not found that feature. I will look at tagscanner and see what it can do for me. Thanks

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 2:48 pm
DHoude wrote :
[quote=jimmy bI have about 15000 files DHouda, but I only have them stored in just 9 folders.

Name is DHoude and at 1666.6666666666666666666666666667 files per folder, how can you even think straight?

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 2:48 pm
DHoude wrote :
DHoude wrote :
[quote=jimmy bI have about 15000 files DHouda, but I only have them stored in just 9 folders.

Name is DHoude and at 1666.6666666666666666666666666667 files per folder, how can you even think straight?

Sorry for the mistake with you name.

You do not need hundreds or even thousands of folders to organize your files, If you use the search functions correctly within VirtualDJ and all your files are tagged correctly then is really easy to do a search for a track.

But that is how you work, so good luck to you

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 3:05 pm
82%