Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Virtual Folder manual sorting is forgotten
nullcaseControlleristMember since 2022
I don't know if this is a bug (since 2 updates ago) or a problem with my setup. This might be a database issue but I don't know how to recreate my database.

To produce:
- create a virtual folder
- add tracks to it (this order is preserved)
- rearrange the tracks (this order is being forgotten)
- switch to another folder and back
- See if the order is retained.

Expected behavior:
- when reset sort order is selected, the arrangement of tracks in a virtual folder will be preserved when I manually change the order.

Things i've tried:
- checking options for sorting. updating software.

How I've been using this:
This feature was a big part of my workflow. I'm using virtual folders while building sets and reordering songs on the fly. I've been depending on those folders remembering my order. The workaround is not fun (creating a new folder, adding them in order, starting over with a new folder if anything changes).

Posted Wed 12 Oct 22 @ 7:24 pm
Turn on the "order" column
Then make sure that you sort by order before attempting to reorder tracks

Posted Thu 13 Oct 22 @ 9:12 am
This not my work flow at all, so would never notice this, and was not aware of this possibility. And hence not an issue for me, and attempting to assist.

I was able to reproduce the issue with 7168, and rolled back to older versions, back to 7032 (June 29th 2022), which also continued to NOT save order when manually moved.
So it was not a few versions ago, but then again don't know version being used by OP.

Testing:
1) I created a new Virtual folder (called TEST2), just under Local Music
(with path of C:\Users\....\Documents\VirtualDJ\Folders\LocalMusic\TEST2.subfolders)

2) reordered manually the tracks, (the order column is always showing and the ordering value/number of the track changes as the tracks are moved) and the "MOVE" appears on cursor during the process.

Before leaving the newly ordered VF, the new order seems to be good. (as the order column shows correct order and there is no Reset Sort Order option available, seems that this is indeed the new ordering.)

3) save with a save_config scripted custom button.

4) go to another Virtual folder and back to the Virtual folder "TEST2", the order has reverted back to the order, the tracks were originally added.

5) if one goes to the location: C:\Users\....\Documents\VirtualDJ\Folders\LocalMusic
and open the file TEST2.vdjfolder with notepad,
where the order should be saved, it shows the original ordering of the added tracks.
ie, it is NOT SAVING the new ordering there.

------------
Workaround:
Remove the track you wish to move (right click > "Remove from this Virtual folder"), then add the track back in the location you wish it to be.

This does write the updated ordering, to the Documents file, TEST2.vdjfolder

-------------
win10

Posted Thu 13 Oct 22 @ 10:31 am
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
This not my work flow at all, so would never notice this, and was not aware of this possibility. And hence not an issue for me, and attempting to assist.

Legend. Thank you for confirming. And It looks like I posted this thread in the wrong forum. Its my first forum post so, right spot next time.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 22 @ 6:12 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Turn on the "order" column
Then make sure that you sort by order before attempting to reorder tracks

i'll try this, thanks! edit: no dice. good idea tho.

Posted Fri 14 Oct 22 @ 6:13 am
UPDATE:

Fixed in EA 7183

Posted Wed 19 Oct 22 @ 2:14 pm
This is also happening to me now. Virtual Folders won't stay as sorted and thus have to re-sort every time I come back to each and every virtual older. The folders are extensive and contain different tags for usage, like YEAR, BPM, GENRE, etc... Entering each song in one single desired order won't suffice. How do I fix this?

VERSION: v2023 v7555
PLATFORM: Windows 10

PS. I figured it out. I went to settings and searched "keepSortOrder" and checked Yes.

Posted Fri 26 May 23 @ 12:01 am